"Cold casting" foam armor

BigMike

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum, and prop making in general, so please forgive me if I make n00b mistakes. They are all honest ones, honest!

Well, I have set out making some foam Iron Man Mk. VI armor courtesy of, er, Stealth maybe? (I am at work, so I can't check my files. Sorry if it is someone else's!) So far, so good. I started with the helmet, which I read later was not the best idea though it didn't turn out HORRIBLE, I'll likely redo it. All said everything is going pretty well.

In any case, the question I have for you all is: it seems to be the general consensus to seal the EVA foam, and then paint it and be done with it (I know easier said than done.) But I am curious if anyone has tried making the outside of the foam hard to simulate what the armor would really feel like on the outside? Specifically, I was thinking about this:

Plate All: Remarkably versatile cold spray metal coating - Now Approved for Marine Coatings

This post is more for you veterans. How do you feel about making the outside of the armor hard? Has anyone here ever tried doing this? It seems a simpler application from fiberglassing. What do you all think?

I'll get some pictures of the WIP up as soon as I can. It isn't anything remarkable, especially if you have ever seen an Iron Man costume on here before. All the same, it is fun and I am loving it!

Dang, that was a fast reply! I searched for a while for posts like that. I guess my "Google-Fu" isn't as good as yours.

Thanks for the point in the right direction!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back