Comlink Question

Mindtrick

I have generated a 3D model of the Comlink as seen in the new Rebels animated series, which is patterned after the one seen in ANH according to Dave Filoni. The only problem is I am not sure how long it should be.

I am guessing 3-4 inches or so but I would like to be sure before I get it 3D printed.
According to the C-1 Comlink page over at Wookieepedia it should be 4+ inches long, which does not make sense.

Anyone have any thoughts?

That would have been a good idea......

Here is the shot of the prop from ANH:

Here are a few shots of the same type of communicator in the new Rebels show:

Dave Filoni's specific comment about the device in his show is that it is "a comlink as seen in Episode IV".

- - - Updated - - -

From what I can tell it looks a bit different. Keep in mind, I am attempting to make a Rebels version and not trying to match the ANH version exactly.

I see your problem. I guess the question is: Are there size variations in that style comlink?

I always think of it as kind of stubby: As seen here: SoroSuub Comlink

*However, there seems to be one that looks a bit longer at the bottom end as seen here (upside-down): C1 personal comlink - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki. The specifications there do not help much... 0.1-0.2 meters? That's 4-8 inches. Way to narrow it down. :/

*NOTE: I am going on the assumption that is a real prop but it may very well be an inaccurate fan version.

If that second one is a real prop, then I think that was the intention of the on in Rebels. Of course you have to figure in overall artist tone of the show that allows for more dramatic angles.

I'm aware that I did not answer your question. But my point is that if the longer one is real, maybe someone who has built an accurate version can give you measurements.

The other suggestion is make the assumption that the mic/speaker grill is the same size as the real prop, then use that as a reference to measure the length.

Sorry, I could not be more help. Good luck.

I have a nice accurate replica of the ANH comlink and it's 2 3/4 inches long, give or take 1/16 or so.

Back