Limited Run Darth Maul TPM screen accurate lightsaber prop

So resin will allow you to cut threads easily - however the threads are also VERY easy to strip. I like the idea of threading it, and using a dab of JB weld in the hole.

Drill a little deeper than the screw - tap the hole - add a small blob at the top of the hole and screw your screw into it taking the weld into the hole

Jedi Dade

Mine is now complete. My approach that might be worth noting
- I used a metal 3/8" washer as the in between middle hilt piece
- I used a manual saw, no electrically powered equipment. I sawed the threaded rod in ten minutes, with a clean edge. I used a 3/8" nut to clean the sawed point, barely any cleaning/smoothing needed. A manual saw with a thin blade can sit in between two threads, thus giving a very clean cut
- Alignment can be done with both hands, no need for a second person. Screw on the emitter at sawed end of threaded rod and then compensate, bit by bit, by reversing the hilt
- O-rings provided are very tight. These can be fitted by enlarging the O-ring's diameter/elasticity using the metal hook of a coat hanger. Fishing wires are dangerous and could cut your fingers.View attachment 1015824 View attachment 1015825 View attachment 1015826

So,after all that nonsense you were able to complete the kit after all and end up with an awesome Maul saber? Since you were so quick to call out Dan publicly and unapologetic about doing so, don't you think you owe him a public apology?

^ No, I had a genuine concern and wanted a mature discussion. Look forward to the next run of hilts where more information at the beginning would be helpful. Have you completed yours? How did you handle the threaded rod? I'm curious on the length.

^ No, I had a genuine concern and wanted a mature discussion. Look forward to the next run of hilts where more information at the beginning would be helpful. Have you completed yours? How did you handle the threaded rod? I'm curious on the length.

Dremel cutting wheel for me. Rod was clamped in a vise. Assembled everything. Stacked the last washers on top. Then I figured how much taller that end cap would be and marked the rod with a sharpie. Cut. Grabbed the hot rod with bare hands. Burned fingers. Yelled. Deburred. Assembled lightsaber.

^ No, I had a genuine concern and wanted a mature discussion. Look forward to the next run of hilts where more information at the beginning would be helpful.

You said

Now I have a kit that I can't put together. Now I can see why it cost ONLY $80. It's a half baked disappointing product.

That doesn't sound very mature to me. At all. Clearly you could put it together. Then followed by disparaging remarks. I don't see that as a way to ask for advice or start a mature discussion. As for your involvement in future runs, I sincerely hope any and all sellers on the RPF take note of how you act at the slightest hint of having to put some work in on a kit and act accordingly.

Question for Anakin Starkiller--what can ya tell us about the paint used on this hilt? I'm just thinking ahead in case touch-ups are needed for the base silver/aluminum color. Is it off the shelf? A custom mix? Thanks!

You said

That doesn't sound very mature to me. At all. Clearly you could put it together. Then followed by disparaging remarks. I don't see that as a way to ask for advice or start a mature discussion. As for your involvement in future runs, I sincerely hope any and all sellers on the RPF take note of how you act at the slightest hint of having to put some work in on a kit and act accordingly.

If you read Dan's first post to kick start the run, then all Dan wrote was a threaded rod was needed. There was no mention of cutting it, potentially needing electrically powered equipment (not everyone has such tools), purchase of additional washers, maybe even covertech wheels etc. The photos in that post also gave the impression that nothing else was needed - open the box and put it together, no drilling/cutting etc. required. So my comments were based on my impressions when I first opened the box. Consumer laws require a reasonable, if not complete, disclosure of the product. Granted that I can now assemble it together, that does not negate my initial impressions that was contrary to my EXPECTATIONS BASED ON DAN'S FIRST POST.

Two or three additional sentences would have subverted expectations. For example, "The 3/8" threaded rod will need to be an appropriate length of about 20 to 21 inches long. Additional 3/8" washers are needed to assist with alignment. The aluminium emitters and provided washers are not weathered."

None of my posts took anyone personally. You can't seem to handle a contrary opinion, based on what we bought and what was advertised. You prefer to take it personally.

Dremel cutting wheel for me. Rod was clamped in a vise. Assembled everything. Stacked the last washers on top. Then I figured how much taller that end cap would be and marked the rod with a sharpie. Cut. Grabbed the hot rod with bare hands. Burned fingers. Yelled. Deburred. Assembled lightsaber.

.... lol good job. I managed mine with a saw that cost me five bucks. The blade on this cheap saw was thin, such that it was in between two threads, thus when I sawed the threaded rod, the cut was clean. There was no need for a 3/8" nut to help. I did use a 3/8" nut after the cutting to clean the end a little, which was literally a ten seconds job.

If you read Dan's first post to kick start the run, then all Dan wrote was a threaded rod was needed. There was no mention of cutting it, potentially needing electrically powered equipment (not everyone has such tools), purchase of additional washers, maybe even covertech wheels etc. The photos in that post also gave the impression that nothing else was needed - open the box and put it together, no drilling/cutting etc. required. So my comments were based on my impressions when I first opened the box. Consumer laws require a reasonable, if not complete, disclosure of the product. Granted that I can now assemble it together, that does not negate my initial impressions that was contrary to my EXPECTATIONS BASED ON DAN'S FIRST POST.

Two or three additional sentences would have subverted expectations. For example, "The 3/8" threaded rod will need to be an appropriate length of about 20 to 21 inches long. Additional 3/8" washers are needed to assist with alignment. The aluminium emitters and provided washers are not weathered."

None of my posts took anyone personally. You can't seem to handle a contrary opinion, based on what we bought and what was advertised. You prefer to take it personally.

I read Dan's first posts, including the ones where he clearly stated he would not know the exact length of the rod until the finished pieces were in hand. You asked this question multiple times and were given the same answer each time. Just wait. After you received your kit, you didn't just state a differing opinion than those who were happy with their kits. You clearly stated you would be unable to complete this kit due to fact you seem to imply were deliberately kept from you. You also used language that was clearly meant to be disparaging toward Dan. Now, here you are, with a completed saber and acting in a way that implies you've done nothing wrong. Were you lying when you stated you wouldnt be able to complete this kit? Your continued efforts to rationalize your bad behavior says far more about you than me calling you out for it. I've said all I care to about this at this point. I just got my covertec knob and clip in the mail. I think I'll start on my kit now.

I can’t believe he didn’t tell me I needed a way to pay him. I also had to buy a house so I could have an address to send it to. Not to mention the car and car insurance required when I went to the hardware store. Then I needed an electric account so I could at least have power going to my dremel to cut the rod. Then I needed internet to check this thread for reference photos to make sure I got the o rings in the right place. Dan didn’t tell me any of this.

I read Dan's first posts, including the ones where he clearly stated he would not know the exact length of the rod until the finished pieces were in hand. You asked this question multiple times and were given the same answer each time. Just wait. After you received your kit, you didn't just state a differing opinion than those who were happy with their kits. You clearly stated you would be unable to complete this kit due to fact you seem to imply were deliberately kept from you. You also used language that was clearly meant to be disparaging toward Dan. Now, here you are, with a completed saber and acting in a way that implies you've done nothing wrong. Were you lying when you stated you wouldnt be able to complete this kit? Your continued efforts to rationalize your bad behavior says far more about you than me calling you out for it. I've said all I care to about this at this point. I just got my covertec knob and clip in the mail. I think I'll start on my kit now.

Thanks for the post (the pronoun/possessive noun "you/your" was used almost twenty times to describe me, I'm flattered). I manged to finish my kit before a character assassination attempt in the threads. Hope you like my finished kit. As for the covertech knob, there was no mention of that in Dan's post, which is fine, as the photos didn't indicate any. Care with drilling the hilt, it's a nice hilt, or you could imagine it's my face that you're drilling into. That might make you feel better.

Last edited:
Did the movie prop have covertechs? I didn't think it did. Anybody know?
There have been a few reference photos posted. I shared one on page 18 -- Limited Run - Darth Maul TPM screen accurate lightsaber prop -- that seems to have the covertec on the underside. It isn't exactly opposite the buttons (which is no surprise, since the buttons themselves aren't aligned); looks to me to be more of a 7 o'clock position (if the button is 12).

^ Thanks, I think this screen shot from TPM clearly shows there is one, too. I assume there is only one coveretch per your photo and per this screen shot. It is clearly visible below.

Capture.JPG

So I am wondering, are there any extra halves left over from this run? I kinda think that I want to do a battle-damaged half-maul now...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back