Darth Vader Stunt and Promo lightsaber casting

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've thought about this and I'd really like to share this with the community, at least for reference if not the cool factor.

i picked this up recently from a widow of a model maker for ILM (last name Buck) who was liquidating some of her husbands things. This appears to be a slightly cleaned up casting of one of those stunt sabers made either for back up for Return of the Jedi or later for promo shoots.

the casting shows some details of the parts and construction I can get into later - for example it utilizes the same part as on the Barbican saber, the lower plate for the fuse/switch thing on the ROTJ Vader graflex fencing stunt. That detail shows up on some archives and auction sabers, sometimes fallen off.

Can an anyone with some knowledge of this prop help me fill in the gaps in the timeline, maybe held ID its origin? I ask because I thought the energizer bunny saber, which is similar, was made in the 90s but there's a pic here from the archives with what I think is the same prop next to the shared stunt. There's also a shot of two of these sabers next to eachother on a shelf. thought those were icons research photos and that was before the commercial? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 399
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 313
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 341
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 372
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 406
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
I've thought about this and I'd really like to share this with the community, at least for reference if not the cool factor.

i picked this up recently from a widow of a model maker for ILM (last name Buck) who was liquidating some of her husbands things. This appears to be a slightly cleaned up casting of one of those stunt sabers made either for back up for Return of the Jedi or later for promo shoots.

the casting shows some details of the parts and construction I can get into later - it utilizes the same part as on the Barbican saber, the lower plate for the fuse/switch thing on the ROTJ Vader graflex fencing stunt. That detail shows up on some archives and auction sabers, sometimes fallen off.

Can an anyone with some knowledge of this prop help me fill in the gaps in the timeline, maybe held ID its origin? I ask because I thought the energizer bunny saber, which is similar, was made in the 90s but there's a pic here from the archives with what I think is the same prop next to the shared stunt. There's also a shot of two of these sabers next to eachother one shelf. thought those were icons research photos and that was before the commercial? Thanks!
Can you positively time when he would have gotten the casting? If it was before the energizer commercial, that would definitely make things interesting.

It would appear his career started in 1995 at ILM. The actual prop that was cast, though, she has no idea. Nor does she know anything about the parts on it, I already asked haha

So either he was around for the prop when it was made, or was around castings of an older piece with a circuit board on it.

Oh nice score! Get some casts going please!!!

I just might...ill have to think about that. If I breach that area I may send it to someone else and have them do it. Either way, here are some reference shots, the shroud is 4.5 cm in diameter, everything seemed to line up with the metric system....10.5 cm long grips....etc

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 186
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 204
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 218
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 204
It looks like the shroud was built in layers. The control box...there are little sidebars hugging some plate, but the details are incomplete. They are RAISED details.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 224
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 215
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 226
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 230
Here is some reference for that mystery part that's shown up on at least three sabers. This one has been cut short (1box) and it appears the double gap area has some damage. The cross bar and one side are chipped. There is a smear blocking the first hole, on the Barbican and another saber there was a screw in that hole. This may be covering up a similar thing. There's a raised ridge around the base of this part, with a little detail on the side.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    939.1 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 213
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 204
I can tell you what I've heard over the years. This isn't fact, just things I've been told or read.

From what I've been told ESB and ROTJ had a hero saber made from an MPP, and a bladed hero saber used for filmed fight scenes made from an MPP. Obviously there were other bladed stunts used for practice and rehearsal that were mix-and-match.

We also do know that the ROTJ bladed stunt was used, as well as some resin copies of some version for the Vader hand-slice prop.

From what I've been told/read, shortly after ROTJ there was a need for several Vader costumes for public appearances, video game use (cut scenes), TV and commercials, museum displays, LFL offices, and other needs.

LFL had several tour Vader suits as well as screen suits for exhibits.

From what I've heard several lightsabers were made post-ROTJ including the Barbican and others such as the Kurtz saber (Busch flash with Graflex slave on top) using similar parts.

Also there was the 'Mag-Lite ROTJ' saber made from a Mag-Lite for the Energizer commercial so the endcap could be unscrewed for the battery gag. Your resin copy looks like it was made around the time as the Energizer saber, especially with the Mag-Lite endcap.

As far as I know, only the MPP based sabers and ROTJ stunt saber (Graflex) have ever been confirmed as being on-screen and pre-1983. All the other Vader sabers are post-1983 for promotional use, or are LFL made for crew and gifts.

Thank You!

Rumor aside, the end-cap gimick is killing me! I just watched the commercial...

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 4.01.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-22 at 4.00.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-16 at 6.04.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-16 at 6.03.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-22 at 4.01.20 PM.png

it looks like my casting is either this one or the other. From that medical droid shot it looks like LFL at least had two, and mine is missing the arrows and shiny thing in the front but still has the part near the shroud.

I really wonder if the imprints in the control box are something that was behind the edge card impressed into some glue or putty..

I can tell you what I've heard over the years. This isn't fact, just things I've been told or read.

From what I've been told ESB and ROTJ had a hero saber made from an MPP, and a bladed hero saber used for filmed fight scenes made from an MPP. Obviously there were other bladed stunts used for practice and rehearsal that were mix-and-match.

We also do know that the ROTJ bladed stunt was used, as well as some resin copies of some version for the Vader hand-slice prop.

From what I've been told/read, shortly after ROTJ there was a need for several Vader costumes for public appearances, video game use (cut scenes), TV and commercials, museum displays, LFL offices, and other needs.

LFL had several tour Vader suits as well as screen suits for exhibits.

From what I've heard several lightsabers were made post-ROTJ including the Barbican and others such as the Kurtz saber (Busch flash with Graflex slave on top) using similar parts.

Also there was the 'Mag-Lite ROTJ' saber made from a Mag-Lite for the Energizer commercial so the endcap could be unscrewed for the battery gag. Your resin copy looks like it was made around the time as the Energizer saber, especially with the Mag-Lite endcap.

As far as I know, only the MPP based sabers and ROTJ stunt saber (Graflex) have ever been confirmed as being on-screen and pre-1983. All the other Vader sabers are post-1983 for promotional use, or are LFL made for crew and gifts.

You can see that same piece on the Darth Vader action figure card form 1977.

It appears to be just a piece of square material, metal or cardboard, either to make the top of the Luke-Graflex-based-shared-motorized-stunt saber look more like the MPP, or possibly just to help with the reflection of the blade during filming (similar to the face of the Obi ANH stunt saber being painted black).

Remember the Luke Graflex-like motorized saber was also used as the Vader dueling saber in ANH, with the end painted black. They seem to have added that bit for some reason for some shots, but it's removable as we have promotional photos of Mark holding the same saber with the black end but no square piece after ANH had wrapped filming.

Last edited:
Still ... the emitter shroud is unlike any G R A F L E X top, stunt or otherwise ... it's edge is much thicker the same as emitter on the saber which thd9791 recently acquired, hence my remark and inquiry what stunt this is ... and indeed as also seen on the vintage STAR WARS Darth Vader action figure card ... with a yellow beam :wacko

Chaim

It's the Graflex look-alike Luke shared stunt motorized saber. There were no other bladed sabers for the Vader/Obi duel for Vader except the shared Luke/Vader saber.

Plus all the details on the saber including the screws in the grips would place it after 1980.

Last edited:
you guys are great.

dan, I can do that. My dad has a pair of sliding calipers, so they're not incredibly accurate but they'll get to a sixteenth of an inch for sure

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back