"Dead Space" Engineer Costume (In Progress)

AaronLee

Hey everyone. Been reading the forum for a few months now and now that registrations open I guess I should finally post. Looking at all the great posts here really inspired me to get off my butt and start on my own build.

I've decided to do Isaac Clarke from the Dead Space video games. This is the first time I've done anything like this and I'm pretty much making stuff up as I go along. That being said I'll take any advice I can get in terms of materials, techniques, etc.

Here are some photos of my progress.

Reference Pics:
Full Body
RIG (Backpack thing)
In-game

My stuff:

There more in-progress pics and larger versions of these on my blog. http://aarondeadspace.blogspot.com/

Thanks for looking guys!

Edit: Made the pictures click-able for larger versions.

YES. Im a big fan of the game and really liked this character. It was nice to see an original character to play as instead of Mr. Chiseled, save the world.

Another fan here.

I always loved how Isaac's armor was made out of a bunch of those thin metal armor plates lined up in parallel- definitely gave the armor a unique, organic feel. Very flexible-looking.

I hope you have loads of fun finishing the armor- what you've got so far is very nice!

Thats for the words guys! You'll all keep me from getting to lazy on this project. I hate our winters here, dark so fast and so cold outside.

Looks good so far! I'll be watching to see your progress!

Are you just doing the suit, or do you plan to attempt one of the weapons too?

Looks good so far! I'll be watching to see your progress!

Are you just doing the suit, or do you plan to attempt one of the weapons too?

Planning to make a Plasma Cutter, the first weapon you start with. I'd really like to try to make some of the other ones but I think the Cutter is the most iconic.

Planning to make a Plasma Cutter, the first weapon you start with. I'd really like to try to make some of the other ones but I think the Cutter is the most iconic.

Good choice! There's some decent "schematic" style pics of the plasma cutter up on ign.com.

I played through the game on the 360, and just recently played through on the Wii. I think there's also an animated movie due to come out, but I can't remember where I saw the preview...

I'm still blown away by paint job you've done there. Was that insulation foam u carved and painted? What technique to produce the rust and wear? Some info on that would be great haha

I'm still blown away by paint job you've done there. Was that insulation foam u carved and painted? What technique to produce the rust and wear? Some info on that would be great haha

Yea I carved the pieces out of insulation foam, sealed with a few coats of gesso. The metal color was done with spray paints, light metal color, darker metal color, mists and wipes of a flat green and brown.

For the rust I went to a local craft store and bought a 2pack of special paint and solution. The paint is basically a gray iron colored paint with powered iron bits mixed in. The solution is some sort of mixture that speeds up oxidation and rusting. So I brushed on the iron paint and then brush on the solution. Real rust!

One thing I noticed though is the pieces look different now than from when I took the pictures. I guess the rust got even more rusted, they're not as bright orange and before (I might have used too much solution?). They're more reddish and don't look as eye catching in my opinion. Might try to find some brighter paint to highlight some points, haven't decided yet.

Yea I carved the pieces out of insulation foam, sealed with a few coats of gesso. The metal color was done with spray paints, light metal color, darker metal color, mists and wipes of a flat green and brown.

For the rust I went to a local craft store and bought a 2pack of special paint and solution. The paint is basically a gray iron colored paint with powered iron bits mixed in. The solution is some sort of mixture that speeds up oxidation and rusting. So I brushed on the iron paint and then brush on the solution. Real rust!

One thing I noticed though is the pieces look different now than from when I took the pictures. I guess the rust got even more rusted, they're not as bright orange and before (I might have used too much solution?). They're more reddish and don't look as eye catching in my opinion. Might try to find some brighter paint to highlight some points, haven't decided yet.

:thumbsup Amazing! Real rust haha Thats brilliant. Yea i bet that solution keeps workin over time and rusts it further. I can see that being frustrating since his suit wasn't made of rust, it was painted metal bars that are starting to wear. Either way they look outstanding, and i'm def going to try to replicate those results!

sweet looking man! i like the way its turning out! im planning on doing a dead space costume myself when i play it the first time in a little while this month!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back