Limited Run Dewback Prod Tips

lmc3

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Limited Run of Dewback Prod Tips

Back in 2021, I started an interest thread to do a run of Dewback Prod Tips, basing the design on previous runs of the prop in the MEPD Sandtrooper forum. While waiting to get enough interest for the run, I spoke with TatooineMachine and Cantina_Dude about the run and the possibility of improving upon the accuracy of the design. Life then got in the way and the project was tabled for a bit but we’re finally ready to go!

Dewback Prod Research:
As everyone knows, there are precious few pictures of the original prop, with production stills being the primary sources available. Previous iterations of replicas of this prop (as well as the intended design in my original interest thread) have included both top and bottom tips/caps for the pole. However, looking at reference of the original prop it is clear it only had a top cap piece and no bottom cap, as can be seen in the following images:
1713931831734.png

1713931853951.png

The prod used in the film appears to be very rudimentary and was likely just a couple bands of metallic tape wrapped around the end of a black pole with some sort of ridged piece painted silver and jammed on the end. It actually looks like some of the metallic tape is peeling away from the pole in most of the available reference photos, like this one:
1713931890436.png

With input from myself and TatooineMachine, Cantina_Dude was able to work up a design for an idealized representation of what we believe the prod tip looked like on the screen used prop, working with the concept of it being replicated as a solid machined aluminum piece that could be attached to the end of a pole. To be clear, this is an artistic interpretation that attempts to balance aesthetics and accuracy to offer the closest replica of this prop yet produced. Here is a machined prototype of the Prod Tip:
1713931920157.png

For the production run, the plan is to reduce the diameter of the last step of the design a bit to more closely resemble the layered effect of what we presume to be metallic tape on the original prop while still leaving enough wall thickness to the aluminum. Here is a 3D render of the updated design with that reduced diameter on the last step:
1713931960680.png

The part will also have a threaded hole and set screw for securely attaching it to the end of the pole. You will need to source the pole yourself locally to avoid astronomical shipping costs. The part was designed to accommodate a 1” diameter pole which, based on Cantina_Dude’s 3D scaling work, seems to be what the original prop was built around. He used a rough pose of a blank average sized male human armature positioned in virtual space over top of the reference photo to determine that the pole is 1" in diameter with an overall length of the completed prod of about 9' 2".
1713931995787.png

We are going to do a limited run of 10 to get this run going. At this time, there are no plans to do a future run of these, but that may change if there is sufficient interest.

Pricing will be $150 USD each plus shipping.

The order will be sent to the machine shop on May 1. At that time, I will have a more accurate estimate of the lead-time, but current estimate is approximately 1-2 months for production, which would put shipping of these around the June-July timeframe. Please let me know if there are any questions or if you're interested in having your name added to the list. Cheers!

Interest List:
1) TatooineMachine
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) LMC3

Standby List:
1)
2)
3)

Thanks for offering these.
But I am curious...could the real part just be a Plessey connector?
Something like this...

Attachments

• Plessey_Free_Plug_Skt.jpg
    Plessey_Free_Plug_Skt.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for offering these.
But I am curious...could the real part just be a Plessey connector?
Something like this...
Thanks for the observation. While the top part of the Plessey Plugs seem similar, the overall shape and size don't seem to match up with Cantina_Dude's scaling estimates. Further, the number of ridges that these parts have do not appear to be the same number as in the reference pics. Not sure how many flavors of Plessey Plugs exist, but I wasn't able to find an exact match to the reference pics based on some quick googling this evening.

Well done Len & Mike! Markus is the master, yet the photos suck and show so little. This is clearly an artistic interpretation of the prop and I think it’s great! Cheers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back