how would you tint the canon DL-44? Which method?

How would I paint it u mean? It’s subjective honestly. Some people think the whole thing is blued, some think the top is blued the bottom is painted. It really depends on who u talk to as there isn’t a definitive answer. Some like to push one method over another but honestly it’s up to you. I’ve painted them every which way. Traditional black body with a gloss scope looks very sharpe as well.

How would you make the hole on the bottom of the blaster smaller? I tried to do it but I made it too big because of trying to make the hole symmetrical. The hole is symmetrical but it is too big now. Thanks

Last edited:
How would you make the hole on the bottom of the blaster smaller? I tried to do it but I made it too big because of trying to make the hole symmetrical. The hole is symmetrical but it is too big now. Thanks

Ur best best is to either leave it as is or fill it with JB Weld and just try redoing it [emoji119]

Always tinkering, alway improving. Solo’s TFA blaster..

IMG_6702.jpg
ORG_DSC00377.jpg
ORG_DSC00378.jpg

Last edited:
I get this question a lot so here is a basic breakdown between Solo’s ANH, TFA & SOLO:ASWS “Hero” blasters. Each pictured below starting with ANH, then TFA and finally SOLO:ASWS..
B61D5C89-CD99-4CA7-8C2C-BEC61782E41C.jpeg

They are all basically the same to the naked eye but it’s in the details that gives each their own independent life. They all are built on a Mauser with a mount, scope, heatsink, bull barrel, flash hider & mystery disk. But what follows is what separates them. It’s even more complex and detailed but this is a good start..

• ANH - built on a live fire authentic Mauser. Not a denix replica that’s pictured but the real deal. It’s believed to be reused from the film “The Naked Runner”. This Mauser has a magazine plate (not a separate cartridge like TFA & SOLO) that is flush with the bottom.

• TFA - built on an airsoft Mauser. A few different airsoft models where used but it’s believed that the hero was built on the model “HFC m712” airsoft mauser (as pictured). Just like the SOLO prop the whole lift side had to be replaced with the selector switch first being removed. Plus it has a magazine cartridge that comes out from the bottom with a release switch clearly seen on the right side. It’s not flush on the bottom because of this.

• SOLO:ASWS - also built on a airsoft but this time it’s believed that LucasFilm just bought a bunch of the AWC airsofts (they already closely resemble the Hero prop with its parts) and remodeled it a bit. Again the whole left side had to be replaced to remove the selector switch. Plus it’s the same as TFA with the magazine cartridge and release switch.

Now for the parts. Again this is a basic breakdown as the details get very specific and you can dig deeper if desired..

ANH

• Mount was custom made and reused from the film “Sitting Target”
  • Scope was an authentic Hensoldt scope also reused from “Sitting Target”
  • Heatsink Grille was custom made from 3 individual Reade Cylinders cut up to make one grille. The film used grille is a little different from how most built it. It was angled forward and the placement was awkward and rough.
  • Bull barrel I think was custom made but I could be wrong. It was also the only one of these 3 blasters to have antenna greeblies ever attached to it. On this build though they never made it to actual filming and all but half of one remained after filming wrapped. It’s also believed that the t track itself didn’t survive the “shoot”.
  • Flash hider is believed to be an authentic MG81 machine gun using a single set screw underneath to attach it to the bull barrel.
  • Mystery disk is just that.. a mystery. Different theories for different people but what is agreed upon is there is a circle about an inch diameter that exposes metal on the left side, front of the Mauser.

TFA

• Mount is custom made but believed to be scaled from the first attempt of the inaccurate MR hero blaster mount. If u zoom in on the ANH & TFA builds you can see how it’s different. For one look under the belly of mount itself. This is where most replicas go wrong on the ANH Hero. They have this same under hang you can see on TFA mount. If it has this then it’s not the ANH blaster.
  • scope is also believed to be scaled from MR first attempt at the hero. The scope is broken up into two parts as you can see a line towards the front on TFA and similarly on the MR unsuccessful attempt. The scope wheel is not the same as it was on the MR version thought and was designed specifically for TFA.
  • Heatsink Grille also similar to the MR (again incorrect) attempt at the hero but it’s scaled to the airsoft and a little different in some of the details. Completely different to what you see on the ANH filming prop.
  • Bull barrel is a full on custom build that has two screws underneath it. The ANH did not have this. It also has a sight built into the bull barrel itself. The bull barrel and flash hider are one complete part. Not two parts like ANH.
  • Flash hider like I just mentioned is attached directly to the bull barrel. It’s “holes” on the flash are not the same as ANH as they are rotated. The ANH holes line up with the bottom set screw where this version the holes are centered. It also has four holes on the body (two on top, two on the bottom). The ANH only has two (one on top and one on the bottom for the set screw). TFA uses no set screw.
  • Mystery disk is a single physical knob on the left side similarly place to ANH but much smaller.

**should be noted that the MR build I’m referring to is their first attempt. They tried to correct they’re wrong doing with a second attempt called their “Elitle” version. It’s much, much better and very different from their first attempt. Only major issue with this Elite version I believe is the bull barrel which doesn’t have a flat bottom like the real ANH prop did.

SOLO:ASWS

• Mount taken directly from AWC
  • scope taken directly from AWC.
  • Heatsink Grille is very similar to TFA and replaces the AWC one
  • Bull barrel full custom build here to replace the AWC. Similar to TFA in that it has a sight on top and two screws on the bottom. But the sight is a little different as it has a base. Plus the two screws are differently placed than what you see on TFA. It’s also not clear if it’s one part with the flash hider or if it’s two.
  • Flash hider looks to be the AWC just with a new bull barrel as described above attached to it. It also uses one set screw like the ANH prop.
  • Mystery disk is a custom disk that replaces the one that came with the AWC. Its different from TFA as it’s bigger and different in design.

Hopefully this was helpful..

You can see a full conversion thread of the SOLO:ASWS from the AWC here..

@dl44blaster

And you can get all the parts needed for a SOLO conversion here if desired. Including accurate heaksink grilles for all 3 blasters mentioned above..

DL-44 Blaster by dl44blaster - Shapeways Shops

Last edited:
Curious brownish thing that (between the mount and the pistol).

Pistol i assume was MGC? Could see he was holding it pretty heavy (not rubber stunt) and that difference in black on the bolt’s extractor.

And did he at one point remove the flash hider?

Curious brownish thing that (between the mount and the pistol).

Pistol i assume was MGC? Could see he was holding it pretty heavy (not rubber stunt) and that difference in black on the bolt’s extractor.

And did he at one point remove the flash hider?

The FH falls off at the end of the video lol

It’s the Hoth blaster from TESB. Yes it’s built on an MGC but the whole build really wouldn’t be that heavy. 2/12 pounds I’m guessing. This looks to be the same prop as seen here..
37284795-F461-405F-AC48-22D4B219ECCC.jpeg
A0C180B7-BFCA-4024-A5FD-8B5E040624CF.jpeg
44751428-AD8C-4471-B1E8-18332B642B5E.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back