Factory Entertainment Tricorder

JiminSTLouis

Sr Member
Factory Entertainment posted this sneak peak on Facebook today.
IMG_1262.jpeg

It looks great but after how many complaints about accuracy the last few Star Trek props they did had I think I'm going to wait for these to come out and see what the reviews are like before getting one.

That heavy filter isn't doing them any favours in judging the accuracy of the paint job which is making it look very silver, but that is the least of the problems. It looks like they haven't made any modifications to correct the problem of this still looking like a Frankenstein's monster of a Tricorder hybrid between the Mark VI and Mark VII.
A hard pass on this one if it ends up looking like the above image.

Any Trek collector with even a passing knowledge of the prop would know this is not right and would be so much better buying a Stapleton Mark VII Medical Tricorder kit, a set of GMprops electronics and making something a heck of a lot more accurate.

Any Trek collector with even a passing knowledge of the prop would know this is not right
I must be in the category that doesn’t know what’s not right about the FE Tricorder. Can you point out some of the biggest differences? I see some small things that aren’t the same like LED’s not being the same as what the prop department used.

Thanks

IMG_1292.jpeg

IMG_1262.jpeg

I don’t know if it’s the photo, but the edges look very sharp for a Mark VII. Also, am I seeing 3D print lines…?

Not sure where that screen display came from, but doesn’t seem to match the references I’ve seen. Maybe they’re doing a functioning display that will change?

Also looks like the PWR LED is sticking out…

And here’s hoping for an aluminum hand scanner.

The Mark VII’s are my favorite of the tricorders, especially the medical version. Hoping the final product looks better than this picture.

Sean

I don’t know if it’s the photo, but the edges look very sharp for a Mark VII. Also, am I seeing 3D print lines…?

Not sure where that screen display came from, but doesn’t seem to match the references I’ve seen. Maybe they’re doing a functioning display that will change?

Also looks like the PWR LED is sticking out…

And here’s hoping for an aluminum hand scanner.

The Mark VII’s are my favorite of the tricorders, especially the medical version. Hoping the final product looks better than this picture.

Sean
It’s very possible that’s a prototype that was 3d printed. The Wand Company did the same thing to test fit of parts. Prototypes are always different than the final production product.

I must be in the category that doesn’t know what’s not right about the FE Tricorder. Can you point out some of the biggest differences? I see some small things that aren’t the same like LED’s not being the same as what the prop department used.

Thanks

View attachment 1807906

View attachment 1807908
Only a few of the glaring errors, there are others but I'm not going to give an exhaustive list.

1.The Peripheral Hand scanner green LED windows are rectangular not capsule shaped as in the FE replica, they clearly reworked their earlier replica. The end red LED should be diffuse red not clear, which is inexcusable as 5mm diffuse red LEDs are dirt cheap and readily available. The central recess band on the scanner should be filleted. Also the sound effect is way off compared to the actual sound effect and the LEDs chase too slowly.

2. The recessed windows in the main body are to far in from the edges for the Mark VII and are more in keeping with the Mark VI.

3. The 4 sequencing tombstone LEDs in the top section should be yellow, not red.

4. The hinges on the Mark VII Science and Medical Tricorders were larger and equally sized.

5. The 3 sequencing LEDs next to the "BIO" button were, from bottom to top, red, then green then green, not 3 green LEDs are in the FE replica.

6. The separation between the main body and the medical top section was straight on the original props not arched as in the FE replica.

Just compare the image you posted next to the FE replica and all of these things are quite clear to spot.
For some reason FE have made this weird hybrid between the Mark VI Medical and Mark VII Medical and it's going to be ridiculously overpriced for something that is so inaccurate to either the Mark VI or Mark VII.

I’m not a “super accurate” fan. Close enough is good enough for me. 90% of the people will never know the difference so I’ll probably pick one up.
Have they announced the price yet?

I’m not a “super accurate” fan. Close enough is good enough for me. 90% of the people will never know the difference so I’ll probably pick one up.
I agree with your accuracy statement. A price or release date has not been announced yet.

Which is likely part of the reason they don't make things that are completely accurate because people accept the stuff that FE makes and don't demand better. Especially when FE charge higher prices than more accurate fan made replicas.

Thanks

View attachment 1807906

View attachment 1807908

Love the old analog TNG Tricorders with their loud scanning noises and extraneous winky-blinkies—a great sci-fi design.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back