Farscape drd, anyone have any news?

Mxlplx

Sr Member
I post this every once in a while to get some new info from folks.
I am wanting a drd, or the supposed hockey helmet they are made from. Thats not official, but heresay. Any info on what they are made of? Is there anything out there? Other than the MIM kit? There were tons of them on the show, but I've never seen one of them surface. Anyone have anything?

I've had one in the planning stages for years now but have been working on other projects to build my skills before I attempt it. Near as I can tell they were completely scratch built for the show and I can see why they cost around $10,000 each for the fully functional ones. The shells consist of about 7-10 seperate parts that overlap eachother which means making an accurate one is going to be a real bear. I've seen pictures of one that someone pulled out of the dumpster behind the production houses after the tear down of the sets. It was just a background peice with only light up eyes but I still envy the guy. I'm years off of even starting one but I'm constantly collecting info and references.

There was a cast resin one offered a year or two back on another board. It looked good, but I don't remember who was offering it. What would look good would be a formed plastic shell so you could put an rc car under it.

someone from here offers the shell, remember that from a year ago, and use a r/c car frame and what not to run it is what i would do.

The shells consist of about 7-10 seperate parts that overlap eachother which means making an accurate one is going to be a real bear. I've seen pictures of one that someone pulled out of the dumpster behind the production houses after the tear down of the sets. It was just a background peice with only light up eyes but I still envy the guy. I'm years off of even starting one but I'm constantly collecting info and references.

Care to share some of these ref shots? I've never seen anything behind the scenes at all. I've seen tons of screen caps, but nothing of the construction or hensons shop.

Care to share some of these ref shots? I've never seen anything behind the scenes at all. I've seen tons of screen caps, but nothing of the construction or hensons shop.

Sure thing but I won't be able to post anything until Sunday as i'm busy tonight and Saturday. I don't have much behind the scenes but between the episode with the energy rider where they take parts off of a DRD and the documentary of the creature shop on one of the DVD's where you see someone working on one there's a fair ammount of info. I've been thinking about putting together a reference site but didn't think there'd be enough interest.

Most appreciated! Whenever you get time, no hurry. I'd love to find a real one I could afford some day, but a nice replica is about all we're probably ever going to get. The MIM kit doesn't look too bad, but I'd hate to part with $150.00 for something I'm hesitant about off the get go.

The main issues with the MiM kit is it's too tall and too stubby like the majority of the DRD's I've seen made. Here are a few shots:

DRD30.jpg

props.jpg

DRD_013.jpg

DRD_000.jpg

Ships_DRDAndrePotappeSl.jpg

There are a few more shots on my photobucket site: http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/jackdoud/DRD/
I have a lot more shots but most of them are just frames before and after the stuff I posted for different angles and light sequencing. The main thing most people don't realize is how big the DRD's actually were. I don't have any measurments but at a guess I'd say about 11 inches wide by 14 inches long.

Ive always wanted one of these... i was gonna post some ref pics but those are the same ebst ones there I had, ive just also got a bunch of screen captures. Does Acme Inc. still sell kits?

Yeah, I have all those and a ton more. I never got around to capping 1812 but like I said, I'm a long ways off from starting this project. :unsure

Yep, seen it. Odd to see them produce something like this, but glad the franchise is hanging on to something, albeit ugly plushies!

Yeah, I was surprised when I heard that was coming out. Especially since the last few things released almost weren't (the Aeryn fig and the Rygel plush) and they cancelled a few of the figures before release (Chiana and Dargo varients).

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back