Faux bronze for vinyl bust help

darthinvictus

As the title implies I have a vinyl model of a bust that I would like to appear as bronze.
This is my first post in general modelling so please be gentle.
Thanks!

Ooh. There are different brands that will generate a very good result, but the question basically is... what kind of look are you going for and do you want it weathered and showing patina?

Testors is a very good brand of paints.

Oldish
A patina would be nice but I wanna shy away from the bored houswife faux finish kit at micheals look if ya know where I am coming from.
This is a Boris Karloff Frankenstein bust.

If it's vinyl than you will want to primer it with a lacquer primer especially if you plan to use enamel paint, it won't dry on vinyl.

D6

Well, you could also use Rub'n'buff for the metal look and then waterbased paints for the weathering/patina.

I've gathered that you should use pale green and a little purple (don't know why or where I read it, but it looks accurate to real patina) for the patina and then to tone things down give the thing several washes (of various thinness) with unevenly applied flat black.

I second the Rub n'Buff. Can be buffed to the sheen of your choosing and a little bit of wax goes a long way. It takes a while for it to fully cure, but it's pretty durable, once it does.

-Fred

There are actually some good kits at Michaels now a days. I picked one up that was an acrylic paint with iron powder in it and a salt that caused rapid oxidization of the iron (aka rust). I believe they had a brass/bronze one as well. Also Rub-n-buff (which is used by a lot of the Jango Fett guys) is basically metal powder in a wax suspension and can also be found at Michaels.

Checked out those oxidizer kits, but I didnt care for the black bronze it uses as the base.
So I went rogue and experimented a bit.
here he be: spray on metallic copper and some Japanese green patina.
Filled the bust and inserted an aluminum rod, Drilled a hole in some marble for the base.

Looks good. Like real copper. You might not need this info now, but I'll add it for anyone else's needs.

I remember some copper powder additives that look good when added to a clear coat. Some people used them in the design college I went to. It's basically real metal powder, so it can patina naturally over time. I'm pretty sure there's other types of metal too. It sounds like that iron powder method above.

Here's a google search. I can't vouch for any of it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=bronze+powder+paint&aq=0&aqi=g1&oq=bronze+powder+pain

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back