[Firefly] My Mal Sculpt

Here's a project I started recently, with no knowledge of the other sculpt when I began. (I mainly lurk on the prop side of the forums.) The head is just a stand-in here, the real one I'm finishing off the body. The final figure will depict him standing and pulling back his jacket to reveal his holstered sidearm, in one of the "business negotiations" so common in the show. I'm reworking his arms, so I cut them off. Any comments and criticisms would be VERY appreciated, I want to finish strong on this project.

Mal1-12-074.jpg
Mal1-12-072.jpg
Mal1-12-073.jpg
Mal1-12-071.jpg

Ooooh... looking absolutely sweet... can't wait to see more. :thumbsup

EDIT: Here's me hoping that it's 1:6 scale ;)
And it would be cool to see a movie version... hint hint... :love or do you prefer the tv-series costume?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Jan 12 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]1395718[/snapback]</div>

And it would be cool to see a movie version... hint hint... :love or do you prefer the tv-series costume?
[/b]

Yes, it is 1/6th scale.

I was considering doing the movie version but I really like the costume in the original series the most, so I'm sticking with that one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MinasTirithGuard @ Jan 12 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]1395770[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Jan 12 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]1395718[/snapback]
[/b]
Yes, it is 1/6th scale.
I was considering doing the movie version but I really like the costume in the original series the most, so I'm sticking with that one.
[/b][/quote]
Sweet. Yeah... the tv-series costume is a fair bit simpler. Looking forward to seeing your version fleshed out more. :thumbsup

Could you tell a bit about your build-up progress? What is the underlying material I see poking out at various places? And interesting to see the somewhat similar pose, yet a fair bit more dynamic than the one I chose and also that yours look so slim.

That's looking great so far. Wish I was that talented.

The only thing I can offer would be that the ribbing on the boots actually curves upwards towards the back.

[attachmentid=12105]

:)

Those shots come from some large hi-res publicity photos. I have a huge cache of Firefly photos that I've been collecting for a while, so I'm not entirely sure where they came from. Here's another couple of shots of the boots though. The colour on all of these phots has been lightened in order to show the details better (I'm making a pair of the boots for my Mal costume).

If there's anything else you're looking for pictures of, chances are good I have them.

[attachmentid=12106]

Hey guys, I had to study for some college admissions testing recently; now that the tests are over I'll have time to work on Mal. I'll try to have new pictures in the next few days.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MinasTirithGuard @ Feb 1 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]1409405[/snapback]</div>
Hey guys, I had to study for some college admissions testing recently; now that the tests are over I'll have time to work on Mal. I'll try to have new pictures in the next few days.
[/b]

In a honest way I can't comment on your work, what do I know about clay, the way I use modeling clay in scratch-building models.....I fill seems with it.You use the medium to sculpt beautiful creations I can comment on that. :D

Sculpting with clay seems to be such a awsome freedom the medium alone is addictive I can tell. Although I don't have any talent for it I still wish to learn. :D

Can you tell me how long you have been sculpting, and how and why you gravitated towards it.Maybe you have some advice on how to get started.

I am also wondering what is the medium you are building over, with the clay.

Thanks for sharing your hard work,
Regards,
Michael

Hey 3D-builder,

I have been casually sculpting for around five years, but seriously concentrated on sculpture for the past two or three years. I started out building models, and as I got better, I wanted to scratchbuild more and create dioramas. I had to sculpt figures for my scenes, and after awhile the figures became more interesting than the vehicles around them. I love sculpting, it's alot of fun to be able to go into a more fine art field with a modeling background. You keep a sense of realism and attention to detail that can sometimes be lacking in an artsy world.

SizeComparisonImage07.jpg

Some pictures of recent life size head studies. Great way to get to know the ladies ;)

Image01.jpg

Image02.jpg

Image05.jpg

The Mal figure started out as a wire skelaton. This was bulked out with Sculpey to make a nude body, and then the clothes and details were added with Super Sculpey Firm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MinasTirithGuard @ Feb 1 2007, 09:59 PM) [snapback]1409732[/snapback]</div>
Hey 3D-builder,

I have been casually sculpting for around five years, but seriously concentrated on sculpture for the past two or three years. I started out building models, and as I got better, I wanted to scratchbuild more and create dioramas. I had to sculpt figures for my scenes, and after awhile the figures became more interesting than the vehicles around them. I love sculpting, it's alot of fun to be able to go into a more fine art field with a modeling background. You keep a sense of realism and attention to detail that can sometimes be lacking in an artsy world.

Thanks for the info, did you get started in school with sculpting or was it something you picked up yourself? Do you have pictures of the wire skelaton at those stages?And what gauge wire works best for the figure you are sculpting here?
Thanks again,
Michael

SizeComparisonImage07.jpg

Some pictures of recent life size head studies. Great way to get to know the ladies ;)

Image01.jpg

Image02.jpg

Image05.jpg

The Mal figure started out as a wire skelaton. This was bulked out with Sculpey to make a nude body, and then the clothes and details were added with Super Sculpey Firm.
[/b]

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back