Golden Snitch wings (Harry Potter)

ATL, I did change the wing length that you mentioned.

How's your progress going with your Snitch body? Did you try out your Smooth-On XTC-3D coating yet? Looking forward to seeing that.

Do you have a picture of the insertion point on the body where the wing goes in (that wa a mouthful). I don't have any ideas at the moment, but a visual might get something going.

Mmm, only saw this thread now. Would be interested in a set of wings too. Please post a link the the interest thread here, so we don't miss it!

I think that atrwork looks great :thumbsup - can't wait to see the final results!

I know a lot of the CGI representations of the Snitch wings are gold in color, of which polished brass makes an excellent replica. However, I believe that JK's vision was that the wings are silver in color. Just curious, do you have means to plate the brass - either chrome, nickel, silver, tin or pewter?

ATL

I found this picture and others that seem to suggest that the prop we're all referring to has the wings in silver. Is it possible that the golden color seen in the other images may be due to the illumination of the prop?

timthumb.jpg

Last edited:
I found this picture and others that seem to confirm that the prop we're all referring to has the wings in silver. Is it possible that the golden color seen in the other images may be due to the illumination of the prop?

View attachment 410140

It appears that this was made by a silversmith, and it may have been done just for the Warner Brothers display in London...

http://www.mugglenet.com/2013/07/beautiful-golden-snitch-on-display-at-buckingham-palace/

The Warner Bros. Studio Tour London: The Making of Harry Potter Facebook page released this beautiful new image today of a gorgeous Golden Snitch. It is being featured alongside a selection of props being displayed at the Coronation Festival at Buckingham Palace from July 12 to July 14. According to the caption included with the picture, “the Silversmith who holds the Royal Warrant of Appointment to HM The Queen, worked with Pierre Bohanna” to create this spectacular Snitch. Head over to the Studio Tour’s Facebook page for a closer look!

In other news, I said I would have an update on Friday - and here it is...

I have nothing to report. Long story short, I used a new setup and made a few miscalculations, so they turned out bad. Tonight I'll correct for those mistakes, and will post results when I get it right. That should be before the weekend is out.

It appears that this was made by a silversmith, and it may have been done just for the Warner Brothers display in London...

TDP - I knew I'd seen it mentioned that the static display was made by a silversmith. Thanks for posting the link.

Here's my thought on how I intend to mount the wings to the body keeping in mind that I plan to have the wings come out the sides as if hovering, rather than folded back as with the display.
6 Hole modification.PNG
The top row in the diagram is looking at the two holes in the body shown rotated so that they're facing up. The second row is the respective cross section (sans cross hatching).

Using a Dremel 3/16 diameter cutter BY HAND I created a shallow dished indentation to fit a 5mm gold plated bead (in the mail). The bead has a 2mm thru hole.
7 hole mod.jpg

Here's a stand-in 3/16 diameter ball bearing.
8 ball bearing.jpg

The next step will be to file the inside of the dished hole using another Dremel bit to allow a 2mm OD thin wall brass tube (no postage if you cand find them at an ACE hardware) to pass between the 2 holes. The brass tube will need to be bent around a 1-3/4 inch diameter tube. Once the 2mm tube is in place, a bead will be epoxied to each end, and the tube trimmed as required. The elongated rib from the 2 wings will then be slid into this brass tube.

Hopefully will have more pictures soon.

ATL

I bent the end of the 2mm brass tube around a 1-3/4 inch hole saw. I put a piece of 16AWG copper wire inside the tube to keep it from collapsing.
9 Tube bending.jpg

Turns out the 5mm gold plated beads I ordered only have 1.5mm holes. I was able to use a scribe to enlarge the holes. Attempts at drilling didn't work.
10 hole enlarged.jpg

I then filed the holes in the Snitch body so that the tube could pass through . (not the best picture)
11 Thru hole.jpg

I epoxied the beads to the 2mm tube and the body, and used some painters tape to hold it all in place till the glue can set.
12 Epoxy and tape.jpg

ATL

ATL,

Your Snitch body is coming along nicely. I didn't totally understand how you were going to connect everything until I saw this last post. Totally awesome idea!!

I am still in the process of making my wing bender. I have an aparatus that I'm making that will hopefully get the job done. I should be able to post a useful update in the next few days.

At some point in this thread I mentioned that I was going to make a time lapse video of some wing etching. I shot the video a whille ago and it's been sitting on my camera ever since. I thought I'd lapse it up and share it...

Last edited by a moderator:
At some point in this thread I mentioned that I was going to make a time lapse video of some wing etching. I shot the video a while ago and it's been sitting on my camera ever since. I thought I'd lapse it up and share it...

I'm curious, what was the actual time it took to etch the excess brass? I noticed you left resist on a good portion of the excess brass so it wouldn't have to be etched - saving time and etchant. Good thinking!

I trimmed the end of the 2mm brass tube and filed it flush with the bead.
13 2mm trimmed.jpg

For grins, I attached the one pewter wing I made.
14 One wing.jpg
There actually is a 0.015 inch diameter steel wire embedded in the "rib" to give the wing some structure and help hold it's shape. The lead based pewter I've use is relatively heavy and it doesn't want to cooperate when I try to shape it.

Next step will be to apply the Smooth-on coating to the body, and then apply the gold leaf.

ATL

ATL, your wing came out nicely. In the video I was using .010 brass and it took 43 minutes to etch. The process took a bit longer than it normally would because I was filming, and therefore using a different technique to etch. The way i normally etch, it would take 20-25 minutes for .010 brass, but that way doesn't allow for proper filming. How long did it take to etch your wings, and how heavy are they?

I have my wing bending device just about ready to go. I should have something to show on either Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited:
How long did it take to etch your wings, and how heavy are they?

Although I've gathered all the stuff for etching (per your video), I haven't actually etched anything yet. The wing shown is the one from the first post of the thread which I cut out of a "pewter" sheet using an X-Acto knife. I put a test piece of this "pewter" in the H2O2-HCl etchant 2 weeks ago and it's still there. Ferric Chloride/HCl shows more promise, but nitric or acetic acid (of which I don't have) seems to be the etchant of choice for lead based alloys. I'm thinking I might try a practice run using brass sheet.

I'll have to weigh the wing and the body and let you know. The 3D printed body is reminiscent of a ping-pong ball.

ATL

Last edited:
Ooh, I didn't realize those were the same ones. I've looked into pewter sheets, and I had no idea about so many things relating to pewter. There are sites with American made pewter sheets that are lead free, but they cost SO much, and are SO thick that etching them would be wildly difficult if not impossible. I'd be absolutely scared away by any lead based pewter. I think I had ebough lead paint chips as a child to last a lifetime :)

As was expected, applying the Smooth-on product would be similar to brushing on cold molasses (treacle :) ). With this in mind, I tried to apply as thin a coat as possible, but it still filled in many areas between some of the ridges and it's going to take a lot of work to fix this.
15 not good.jpg

Last edited:
Small update, but rather depressing. My wing bender didn't quite work as planned. I'm on the right track, but I need diffferent materials, and possibly different tooling to make it work correctly. It's easy enough to bend the rib of the wing without fancy gadgets, however it leaves the edges rather messy, but that's not going to work for a pretty Snitch. I have another idea I'm going to try. It'll be a few more days to get the necessary parts.

Small update, but rather depressing. My wing bender didn't quite work as planned. I'm on the right track, but I need different materials...

TDP - I suspect you're probably familiar with the different tempers of available brass, but for the benefit of other members, I thought I'd pass along some things I learned about brass sheet. Typically, for projects requiring brass parts (sheet, rod, tube, etc.), I'll end up getting K&S Engineering material because I can buy it from most local hobby stores or hardware stores. (I hate paying postage). K&S lists the types of material they supply. The Brass Sheet & Strips is Alloy 260 1/2 hard ASTM B36. For most projects, this is a good easily machined, corrosion resistant alloy but, because it's hardened, it also resists bending as well. For projects that do require bending or forming, "dead soft", or "fully annealed" is preferred. This brass, of course, is slightly more expensive and not as readily available. I've found it on-line from Rio-Grande, Amazon, and eBay. (28 AWG is equivalent to 0.0126 inches). Alloy 230 is available as "dead soft" and is also referred to as red brass, NuGold, Jeweler’s Bronze, Merlin’s Gold, or C230. Interestingly enough, as with most metals, when this soft brass is bent, the bending itself causes the brass to harden. (This is why a paper clip will break if you bend it back and forth a couple of times).

Alternatively, a hard or hardened brass can be soften by a process known as annealing. By using a torch, the brass is heated to a dull red glow, and allowed to cool either slowly in air or quenched in water. Of course this process then requires purchasing a torch, and taking all the necessary associated safety precautions. Since heating the brass with a torch discolors it, I would think that for the Snitch wings, it would be best to soften the brass before etching to make it easier to clean.

ATL

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back