Hasbro Hero X-Wing Conversion with 3D Printed Parts - Files no longer available!

20200103_173114.jpg

20200103_174030.jpg

20200103_173759.jpg

With the design of my wings and the blueprint I was using, I had to cut out the support shafts aft of the cockpit. The rear ones are still there and I will use them. Unfortunately, squeezing the back together widens the gap in front of the wings, because the toy is warped due to uneven cooling. If the support shafts were still there, this wouldn't be much of an issue, but alas...
I will glue a block of PLA to the bottom support block (yellow arrow) and if using polyethylene glue doesn't solve the problem, I can put a screw down the droid hole, and hopefully that will correct that.

Still a few things to print out. Notably the laser gun wing supports. I will have to go though my greeblie bins to see what I can put into the internal gap.

TazMan2000

Coming along nicely, Taz. :)
What I had planned for my X-wing was to have support frames along the inside of the fuselage via light weight tube down the center. The idea was to prevent the skin from warping and to offer more support for the overall fuselage.

What I had planned for my X-wing was to have support frames along the inside of the fuselage via light weight tube down the center. The idea was to prevent the skin from warping and to offer more support for the overall fuselage.

That would have been a better idea. I didn't realize the extent of the warp in the hull.

TazMan2000

Ya. While I dismantling mine, I noticed outer skin was bowing and even twisting in places. Placing in support frames would help keep it from doing that. However, I'm not sure if it'll help with the bowing. That depends if you're going to layer styrene over the skin, like what I was intending to do.

I'm not planning on layering styrene. But I do intend to cut out the canopy out and model that, so I can include a cockpit. As I mentioned before, I'm not planning on modelling the cockpit, but add one off of Thingiverse. I just have to get the measurements of the interior of the cockpit section to ennsure it fits like the other parts I modelled.

TazMan2000

I don't think it needs it. Initially I did, but not anymore. I have to find some glue/activator locally that works with polyethylene.

TazMan2000

My bad, you totally got this :) I have to be honest and say I forgot as I always click the latest post to check what's happening and this recent Antalz video was in my mind.

I had to go slightly thicker in proportion to the studio model to accommodate the aluminum and brass stiffeners and to ensure strength. After gluing everything together I was amazed at the rigidity.

TazMan2000

After thinking about it, I don't believe there was any other way to do this, to get this kind of strength for the wings, unless you go to aluminum, or you use styrene tubes to model the spars for the lasers. In retrospect, that was initially what this project was about. I've seen so many large X-wing models (SS and bigger) that had visible sag in the spars. Most modelling resins are fairly weak and aren't meant for structural strength, especially when thin. Another possible way to do this would have been to layer several sheets of styrene together with brass or aluminum supports. That would be a lot of work.

With all the work I have done and still need to do, I'm wondering if I should have just bought the aluminum kit in the first place. :lol:

TazMan2000

I recall the ILM guys using a honeycomb pattern sandwiched in between the styrene sheets for the Imperial Shuttle wings to keep them from sagging. It was light weight compared to other options but gave lots of support. I forget what material the honeycomb pattern was made from

I recall the ILM guys using a honeycomb pattern sandwiched in between the styrene sheets for the Imperial Shuttle wings to keep them from sagging. It was light weight compared to other options but gave lots of support. I forget what material the honeycomb pattern was made from

Probably aluminum. Many aircraft, especially fighter jets have honeycombed cores in flight surfaces. It does add strength but it mainly is for dramatically reducing the weight.

TazMan2000

Love what you ar doing TazMan. I swear, once I can get a Form2/3 or similar I will never buy another kit. Except maybe bandais

Love what you ar doing TazMan. I swear, once I can get a Form2/3 or similar I will never buy another kit. Except maybe bandais

Thanks Fett_Ish. But you may have trouble printing some of these parts on a small resin printer unless you divide them up in Meshmixer and I have no idea on what strength you'll have because I designed this with PLA in mind, but if you use the aluminum slat and the brass square tubing you should get a pretty strong wing.

My CR-10S has literally changed my model building life. I can now accomplish (not finish...I'm seeming to have a problem with that. lol) more than I could have imagined. The precision for making parts is incredible, even on an FDM printer. Another great thing about it is, that you can design something virtually, and have it in your hand a few hours later (or days, depending on complexity).

Its definitely a great tool to have.

TazMan2000

I agree about the resin printer part of this. I have an Elegoo Mars which prints wonderful crisp detail. The problem with resin is that there's some variable amount of shrinkage that would make using for this application somewhat difficult.

Regarding printing and modeling in general, personally i'm a bit reluctant to invest a lot of energy in designing / 3D modeling. I think its outside my scope but I'm also intrigued. I think i need to find some "simple" project to design.

Thanks Fett_Ish. But you may have trouble printing some of these parts on a small resin printer unless you divide them up in Meshmixer and I have no idea on what strength you'll have because I designed this with PLA in mind, but if you use the aluminum slat and the brass square tubing you should get a pretty strong wing.

My CR-10S has literally changed my model building life. I can now accomplish (not finish...I'm seeming to have a problem with that. lol) more than I could have imagined. The precision for making parts is incredible, even on an FDM printer. Another great thing about it is, that you can design something virtually, and have it in your hand a few hours later (or days, depending on complexity).

Its definitely a great tool to have.

TazMan2000

The big hole in the wings needed a big engine part to fit in it. After going through boxes of my spares I found a part from a 1/24 Airfix Harrier. I pried apart the 20 year old glued halves, trimmed the part down and sealed the ends. I will fill it with resin before I make a mould, since I don't need this thing rising in my RTV or filling up with it in case i missed plugging a hole. It fits snugly now, but the resin copies will shrink a bit.

20200117_151431.jpg

20200117_151308.jpg

TazMan2000

Last edited:
The big hole in the wings needed a big engine part to fit in it. After going through boxes of my spares I found a part from a 1/24 Airfix Harrier. I pried apart the 20 year old glued halves, trimmed the part down and sealed the ends. I will fill it with resin before I make a mould, since I don't need this thing rising in my RTV or filling up with it in case i missed plugging a hole. It fits snugly now, but the resin copies will shrink a bit.

View attachment 1248060
View attachment 1248061

TazMan2000
Hey, didn't they use this part on the AT-AT? :unsure:

Back