[Help] Looking to get into cosplay, but don't know where to start.

aFriendlyHobo

Hi,

I've been looking to get into cosplay and building my own outfits out of EVA foam, but I have no idea where to start.
As for tools, I know I need a few cutting knives, a heat gun, rolls or tiles of EVA foam (Varied thickness), hot glue, and a cutting mat to do the project on.

What I don't know how to do is make the templates to make them ready to cut. How do I make these templates?
I've heard Pepakura is good for finding templates. The only problem is, I'm hoping to make a suit of Lord Shaxx's (Destiny) armour. Its a new game, so I don't know if there are any available yet.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140623034010/destinypedia/images/7/77/Lord_Shaxx.png

Basically, I don't know where to start. I feel that Lord Shaxx's armour would be easier because it is mostly bigger pieces, nothing too small and intricate.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to do the pepakura route, that's fine, but the templates may not be available. Why not try sketching out a rough design on paper and fit them to your body? Better yet, build a duct tape dummy and make a body form of your own body and apply the pieces to that. If you've never built one, there are 1,001 instruction sheets out there to tell you how to do it.

Once you have the duct tape dummy, stuff it full of old clothes, then get to work! Save yourself time and money by doing everything with paper first, cut out the pieces and apply them to your dummy. If something doesn't fit, keep trying til you get what you want. You can buy big rolls of brown paper at places like home improvement stores. Once you have the general design, create your templates and apply it to the foam! (if you decide to go that route) There are many different mediums you could use to get the desired effect.

Good luck and post pics!

Thanks for the info!

Like I said, I'm brand new to this. Never really built anything in my life, and nothing artistic since middle school. Definitely going to be a challenge for me.

That method sounds a lot better than what I was thinking about doing. A little more time consuming, but I reckon it'll be worth it.

Thanks again!

Seconding what Grimwood said. I made a duct tape dummy and just finished making a preliminary pattern on it using newspaper (it's sitting on the floor next to me). I've never sewn anything or designed a pattern before, but this made it a lot easier to start out. It's an invaluable thing to have!

My suggestion.... Paper. Do everything with paper at first. Cut it up, if it's too small, tape more paper to it and cut again as needed. If it's too big, trim it up. Because paper is cheap and fast to cut up you have lots of room for making patterns with it even though when you're done it looks like a patchwork or tape and paper. This will give you an approximate patter. When using the paper as patterns, cut the foam a little bit bigger if it is being bent because of curving. My first costume was a little ambitious but that's what I did and I was able to do to make Sith Juggernaut armour...
http://www.therpf.com/f67/sith-juggernaut-183737/#post2877227
Now that I've gotten the feel for working with foam and making patterns, for my next project with foam, Ill cover it in hard plastic to give it a nicer, cleaner look, but you gotta start somewhere.

Wow! That's incredible! Awesome job!

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely do it with paper and card first. I really hope it ends up coming out well, but I won't know for a few months at least.

I'm going to third what Grimwood and Rubber Slug said. Another thing you can do is find different pep files that are similar (so you have a basic shape and pattern as a jumping off point) and then build them up from there. For example, looking at your image link, that helmet reminds me of Daft Punk. So, get a Daft Punk pep file, build it up in paper and mod it until you have what you want. That way, you're not having to come up with all the shapes from scratch.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Any ideas for the torso armour? That's the part I want to start with.

As for the helmet, what kind of material would you recommend for the visor? Something opaque from one side and translucent from the other.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back