[Help] Painting and smoothing imperfections

zombienoms

Have a WIP War Machine that's my first jump into cosplay ever and so I really want it to look good. It's a craft foam which I've coated with smooth on 65d rotocast, a technique from xrobots.uk. Now the stuff works insanely fast and at times i applied it as it was hardening and chunking up leading to some messy looking sections. I've smoothed them some but they're still a bit rough.

In places where I made sure to do light thin coats the issue doesn't seem to persist but the point remains I've got some messy looking plastic coated pieces. I don't want to toss them out because it was hard working making the foam piece, coating it in PVA to make a base sticking for the plastic coat, and then the plastic coat itself was expensive so I don't want to feel like I wasted it.

My plan is to primer and paint the whole thing and I'm wondering how much will that help? Will a few layers of primer and paint with light sands in between help to even things out so I get a nice smooth finish or should I make sure that things are baby smooth from the get go? I really want to have a clean looking suit in the end

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back