Buckethead

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update: 29.06.21

The full kits from this run are sold out, however all parts needed are still available separately. I do runs of the aluminium blade and guard over on Etsy: Buckethead Studios - Props and Costumes by BucketheadStudio
where I also have 3d models available for the handle and insert.

If you don't have a 3d printer I have the handle set up over on Shapeways, including the inserts set up in brass

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/buckethead-props?T=1624990013240

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I was looking though the concept art for Solo and came across this image which captured my attention immediately; the Imperial Field Knife.

20181108_183047.jpg

Don't think this made it to the movie but I love the design with the c96 style handle, and was wondering if anyone was interested in a small run.
  • Blade and guard would be aluminium, with milled relief
  • Grip would be resin or wood, most likely cast to simulate bakelite
  • Grip inserts with imperial cog can be brass, or cold cast. Brass would put the price up a little bit but would be amazing
I have mocked up the size, which is shown next to a real bayonet, let me know your thoughts

20181113_181510.jpg 20181113_181527.jpg 20181113_181544.jpg 20181113_181552.jpg

Handle mocked up

handle.jpg

I am hoping to keep the costs down, but still working on sorting everything out, and could offer kits and finished props. Also open to any suggestions or ideas anyone has. Let me know if your'e interested down below!

Updated 31.05.19
Batch 1
  1. sketcherdan
  2. sketcherdan
  3. sketcherdan
  4. sketcherdan
  5. Kokanee....................Paid........Shipped
  6. -
  7. VogonPoet................Paid........Shipped
  8. fraktilfilth..................Paid........Shipped
  9. Huglarr.....................Paid........Shipped
  10. Vertex.......................Paid........Shipped
  11. Jack............................Paid........Shipped
  12. -
  13. StarWarrior...............Paid........Shipped
  14. acesh007...................Paid........Shipped
  15. MudSkull1815...........Paid........Shipped
  16. Prop Rocks................Paid........Shipped
  17. ApostleofColor..........Paid........Shipped
  18. -
  19. VogonPoet #2...........Paid........Shipped
Batch 2 (10 units)
  1. Mara Jade's Father..Paid.........Shipped
  2. Lord Nikon.................Paid.........Shipped
  3. -
  4. Stormer.......................Paid.........Shipped
  5. Rhys Humphreys.....Paid........Shipped
  6. JD..................................Paid........Delivered
  7. Yutani Exec................Paid........Shipped
  8. xAlpha.........................Paid........Shipped
  9. Philo Props................Paid........Shipped
  10. RoguePrime..............Paid........Shipped

Slots now open for immediate kit dispatch
12. Daniel Pyles......Paid.....Shipped
18. CptMogadon....Paid.....Shipped
6. Alan M................Paid......Shipped
22. William G.........Paid......Shipped

Last edited:
Very interesting concept! On the reference, it looks like only a very small section of the edge, if any, is beveled/sharpened (i.e. not practical at all). How are you going to approach beveling it to look like an actual knife with an edge, and not just a flat piece of metal? Or are you not going to do that?

Very interesting concept! On the reference, it looks like only a very small section of the edge, if any, is beveled/sharpened (i.e. not practical at all). How are you going to approach beveling it to look like an actual knife with an edge, and not just a flat piece of metal? Or are you not going to do that?

Yeah its hard to tell but looks like it. Would have to play around once they're made, but can probably sand them in on a belt sander. May include it in the kit price, or be part of finished ones only.

Project Update: 16/11/18
  • Source for blade and guard cutting and milling is sorted and I'm happy with the price. Guard at the moment remains plain, but I'd love to get the detail I designed milled in, but this of course ups the cost.
  • For the grip section I'm looking at having a master turned in wood, and then this will be cast in urethane resin to simulate wood.
  • The imperial cog discs I'm thinking they'll be cold cast with brass and included in any kits, BUT I will have the files up on Shapeways for anyone interested having them made in polished brass. I can certainly do this for you, but there is a lot of upfront cost involved and I wouldn't really be making anything on them (they would be about £40 GBP a pair in polished brass.....just Shapeways prices I'm afraid)
Also more than happy to offer any finishing work on them, but I'd have to gauge once in hand and can evaluate the time. This would include assembly, polishing and some bluing for strategic darkening, like on the hand guard and blade grooves. Also more than happy to weather it up.

If you're interested let me know and I'll keep a serious interest list in the first post.

Last edited:
Just had a good chat with the machinist about milling the blades, and a look around his shop. Also looks like he can make a wooden master for the handle section, which can then be cast.

This run IS going ahead. The batch will be small, with potential for more afterwards. I had a set of blades and guards cut, but they were cut in the wrong thickness of aluminium, so they should be re-cut soon, and the run can get underway!

What is the timeline looking like on these? Any chance we'll be able to get them shipped in time for Christmas?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back