Iron man hand-sculpt or pep?

JediJayne

Like so many others I'm doing an iron man with pepakura. So far I've found files for every piece except the hand/fingers. I've thought about trying my hand at sculpting but haven't done any casting/molding with anything other than small, flat pieces. Does anyone have any pep files for the hand armor? I found on the 405th but it gets all distorted when you try to scale it up or down. Thanks!

Like so many others I'm doing an iron man with pepakura. So far I've found files for every piece except the hand/fingers. I've thought about trying my hand at sculpting but haven't done any casting/molding with anything other than small, flat pieces. Does anyone have any pep files for the hand armor? I found on the 405th but it gets all distorted when you try to scale it up or down. Thanks!

PM sent, should have emailed me. ;)

Very Awesome Pep's you got there Finhead. Do you happen the have the Right hand to go with the left as well?

And if there was a way to plus rep you I would.

Last edited:
Very Awesome Pep's you got there Finhead. Do you happen the have the Right hand to go with the left as well?

And if there was a way to plus rep you I would.

That's ok glad I could help. :) Just open with your pep designer and in the 2DPatternwindow just click flip pattern. That's what I'll have to do as well, I haven't got to the gloves yet. :)

Sorry to take over your thread Jedi

Ok edited the first post in my thread to include the hand file. If there is anything else you guys need and I have it I'll post it up. :)
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=80159

That's ok glad I could help. :) Just open with your pep designer and in the 2DPatternwindow just click flip pattern. That's what I'll have to do as well, I haven't got to the gloves yet. :)

Amazing and thank you. Thanks to JediJayne for making this post as well. Rep++

OK, now I'm only thinking out loud so....is there any value of doing it half and half, build the base form using pep, then adding the detail in clay or plastilene.

The reasoning behind my musing is that doing it as an old style scupt takes up a lot of materials, by getting the basic shape with the pep first would cut down on the amount of clay needed and it would also cut down on the annoying bondo dust that gets everywhere.

Thoughts anyone.....

With Bondo, I beilieve you can sand and finish the whole thing, essentially make a one-off that can be worn without *having* to be molded and cast.

With clay, you can accomplish the same build, but are adding extra steps, extra cost, and extra time in order to get something wearable. You'd still want to glass the pep for strength before building it up with clay. Hope you don't have to cut into that base surface, with clay it would get pretty unworkable.

OK, now I'm only thinking out loud so....is there any value of doing it half and half, build the base form using pep, then adding the detail in clay or plastilene.

The reasoning behind my musing is that doing it as an old style scupt takes up a lot of materials, by getting the basic shape with the pep first would cut down on the amount of clay needed and it would also cut down on the annoying bondo dust that gets everywhere.

Thoughts anyone.....

I did that with my first Iron Man helmet.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=75839
and then used the cast from that to sculpt on top of to make my War Machine Helmet
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=76566

The sculpt ended up using 5 or 6 pounds of clay, I'd imagine it would be more if you didn't use pep. Maybe you could consider consider pep an armature of sorts..

Hope this helps.

-Jay

Thoughts anyone.....

Exactly the way Stealth is doing his armor, it's a great alternative. If you simple don't have the space or tools to work with filler. :thumbsup
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=81171

Yeah pep seems to be a great way to make an easy armature for sculpting. Problem is, I can't sculpt worth anything! :lol

How do you access the PEP files for the Ironman armor? or any file ?

here you go jarvis
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

download the pep designer and you can now load pep files

you can't save unless you register it though

Yeah pep seems to be a great way to make an easy armature for sculpting. Problem is, I can't sculpt worth anything! :lol

its not that hard man once you have the base to sculpt on.

I suck still and even when you cast it will still look like what you wanted it to look like I'm sure. :)

With Bondo, I beilieve you can sand and finish the whole thing, essentially make a one-off that can be worn without *having* to be molded and cast.

With clay, you can accomplish the same build, but are adding extra steps, extra cost, and extra time in order to get something wearable. You'd still want to glass the pep for strength before building it up with clay. Hope you don't have to cut into that base surface, with clay it would get pretty unworkable.

you are right there about the bondo.

another way to keep costs down on the pep is backing it with cardboard. its harder to work with, but the end result is pretty nice - you get a sturdy material to start, so you can go strait to bondo with no need to fiberglass. lost of places will be glad to give cardboard to you if you walk up to a customer service desk and ask for a bunch of boxes. use some spray adhesive and stick em on.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back