Iron Man helmet help

rossb3000

Hey everyone. Complete and utter novice here hoping for some help..i'll apologise in advance if this is in the wrong forum or if youve heard the same questions a thousand times.

I just got hold of an Iron Man helmet and its a bit 'scruffy'. I think its cast in resin and has then been spray painted silver.

First of all, as there are small 'chips' in the cast, would i be able to patch these up with something? And there are other parts that need sanding...is this adviseable or is there another way of getting the little 'nobbles' from the surface?

And finally..the paint. I'd like to paint it red/ gold...would i need to use primer first if its already been painted (or if i use something to patch up the aforementioned chips) or could i just paint straight onto it? Is there a specific type of paint thats recommended for these sort of things? I've had a browse around and i've seen mention of both car paint aerosols and modelling paint but im clueless (as im sure is fully clear!)

Apologies if i've been unclear as to what I mean but I hope someone will be able to assist me!

Many, many thanks in advance, Ross.

your in the right forum..:) wrong section should be in props or off topic even so, but anyways these guys rock. car bondo theres rondo can sanded it repainted theres better people on here. let me start you out in there way..

Links to there work:

Surreal Studios

Finhead and Coofunkcurly

just for starters.. good luck:)

Bondo is probably you're best bet. There's also some newer products that you can mold, replicate, and meld with wood and I hear it's pretty good to work with as well.

You'll want to remove the existing paint and get it back down to it's original surface before patching or painting. For most things using Ovencleaner in a bag, let it sit for an hour, then scrub with a stiff brush works wonders. May take a few applications to get it all off.

Wash it off with a mild detergent in warm water.

Then using bondo to fill hole, reshape areas etc.

A quick wet-sanding, then wash again.

Prime with a good quality primer.

Another wet-sanding and wash.

More bondo in any newly discovered holes.

Another wet-sand and wash.

More primer.

Wet-sand and wash.

More bondo (if necessary) and wet-sanding.

Now you're ready to apply paint!

Thanks so much everyone! Couple more questions though (sorry!)

What is wet sanding?

And is there a specific type or brand of primer and paint I should be looking for? Is it model paint or an aerosol that would be used on these sort of things?

Huge thanks again to everyone for all of their help and apologies for the noob questions.

P.S. i've had a browse around the junkyard and there's some incredible items on there. Just wondered if anyone fancied buying a kidney? Maybe a leg? Maybe there's a bank heist coming up I get in on?

Must buy the pretty things!!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back