Johnny Lightning 1950s Batmobile

Gregatron

Master Member
So, back in 2003, I picked up Johnny Lightning/Polar Lights’ 1/25 Batmobile kits. Based specifically on the Batman comic books, these kits of the 1950s (the Dick Sprang design) and 1960s (the Frank Springer design, riffing on the 1966 TV series’ famous car) Batmobiles were very impressive, with pre-painted, diecast metal bodies, and good interior detailing.

DD4C43B7-C75C-491B-891D-09F822D13C48.jpeg

I built them both up at that time, but, due to my novice skills, they weren’t great. Little paint detailing, etc.

Flash-forward to now. I dug those battered old models out of storage, and thought, “I can do SO much better, now”. I proceeded to rebuy the kits on eBay, and went to work.

First up, the 1950s version. As a fan of Dick Sprang’s art, I knew the stock kit could use some accurizing. The car’s first appearance, in DETECTIVE COMICS # 156 (1950), even featured blueprints of the car on the cover, which would make for great reference. The stock bat-wing fin on the kit is lovely, but not accurate to the comics in regards to shape and detailing. The kit’s fin has a much steeper sweep to it, and also has raised ribbing to simulate to look of a real bat’s wing. Sprang’s art, however, has a sleeker, more swept-back fin, and is consistently depicted as flat and featureless. This was clearly an artistic choice, since he could easily have drawn dimensional ribbing on the fin, had he so desired.

Also, the car usually featured both front and rear fender skirts covering the tires. After gathering up reference art from the comics of the era, the fender skirts proved wildly inconsistent, sometimes appearing then disappearing within the same stories. The stock kit only features rear fender skirts, and, since the Johnny Lightning kit has served as inspiration for subsequent models of this particular Batmobile (such as the Eaglemoss version), that is a feature which has become standardized. However, I wanted to stay true to Sprang’s art, which, more often than not, covered all four tires with fender skirts.

D1E21192-EFAC-4C1F-AC0A-BD06FFF21707.jpeg
9FC64F92-C755-482B-BCC4-D0BAD43CD6F6.jpeg

The other big issue was the bat’s head battering ram on the front of the car. The stock part features painted, triangular yellow eyes and a matte finish on the face. The matte section echoes the traditional “shadow” effect on Batman’s cowl during that era, a feature which was literalized as painted detail on the cowl from the 1966 TV series). However, in-universe, Batman’s costume was always intended to be black and gray, and, over time, artists got lazy about adding in the black, allowing the blue highlight color to become dominant. So, in other words, the “shadow” should not be a distinct detail on the battering ram.

To rectify these issues, I first reshaped the stock bat fin with a Dremel to match the DETECTIVE COMICS blueprint, but the result was too small to match the comic art. So, instead, I cut a sheet of flat aluminum stock to size and shape. MUCH better!

For the battering ram, I stripped the paint off (as I did with the rest of the diecast parts, after carefully disassembling them and setting the chrome and clear parts aside). I then filled in the scribed “ shadow” line, repainted the part, and added white half-moon decals for the eyes. Those big, white eyes are a hallmark of Golden Age Batman (and Dick Sprang’s art, in particular), and they really make the model come to life in a way which evokes those classic comics. BIG difference.

Front fender skirts were made from sheet aluminum, cut and bent to blend with the lines of the car body. Vinyl whitewall decals were also added to the rubber tires for an extra touch of 1950s authenticity.

I spent a great deal of time on the interior, despite it being largely obscured when installed in the car body. I simulated a wood grain pattern by painting the portable crime lab’s desk and cabinets a wood color, drew on the texture with a brown Gundam marker, then lightly misted the base wood color over that to blend it in. The result is very effective.

The kit was modeled specifically after panels from that introductory story in DETECTIVE COMICS # 156, where Robin is working at the portable crime lab with a partial map, a ruler, and other tools. The kit simulates the map with a molded and engraved styrene part, but the scale effect doesn’t really work. For a more subtle look, I sanded the map piece down to eliminate the molded detail, then overlaid it with a decal based on Elliot R. Brown’s official map of Gotham City, as created for the NO MAN’S LAND event in the Batman’s comics of the 1990s.

2162C001-21F0-47F1-AAF3-DF0A04D7AF93.jpeg
69E83987-EABB-460D-8388-71FB704FC254.jpeg
4DFEA2CE-8735-4C12-9CF4-19F12B046011.jpeg
B41DF30C-83E0-4A8F-B926-2EF992A3EB53.jpeg

After repainting all of the metal parts, I assembled the whole thing. BIG improvement over my original attempt at this kit (which I ended up having to salvage a few parts from for the new build, such as the plastic windshield, which I accidentally cracked).

2F09B285-28E1-4311-BD63-3F9509FCF85B.jpeg

35FF42C0-3658-43ED-8C3E-C45A4D3E3595.jpeg
19516428-FDEE-4A8E-8107-7D695302FE28.jpeg
41239759-8A94-44C7-9D52-1A45C16F7981.jpeg

Attachments

• 5DF9DB36-3354-43D9-8ABD-4BD87DEA759B.jpeg
    5DF9DB36-3354-43D9-8ABD-4BD87DEA759B.jpeg
    874.1 KB · Views: 186
I love this version of the Batmobile not for aesthetics but the fact it has an actual crime lab in the rear compartment. This for me harkens back to the origin of Batman being a problem solving Detective instead of just showing up and beating up criminals which became more common.
Wonderful rebuild on this kit, you did an excellent job of capturing the comic book renderings!

I love this version of the Batmobile not for aesthetics but the fact it has an actual crime lab in the rear compartment. This for me harkens back to the origin of Batman being a problem solving Detective instead of just showing up and beating up criminals which became more common.
Wonderful rebuild on this kit, you did an excellent job of capturing the comic book renderings!

Absolutely. The mobile crime computer in the 1966 version also touched on that idea, but, as time went on, Batmobiles became more and more about speed and weapons, and less and less about detective work.

Frankly, I have no interest in the Nolan or Synder Bat-tanks. They lack the Romanticism and elegance of the older designs, something that is also missing from their iterations of Batman, himself. Those cars gots no style!

While the 1966 TV car is surely the best Batmobile—and the most iconic car in entertainment history—I have a big soft spot for the 1950s version. Really sleek and elegant, and, as you noted, there’s that portable crime lab. There’s a reason that artists have come back to this design again and again when creating later iterations in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. Something about that bat-head ram and the central bat-wing fin really works.

Next up is the 1960s comic version, then the 1966 TV version, then the 1989 movie version. I look forward to making the 1960s version more comic-accurate, as well.

I love this version of the Batmobile not for aesthetics but the fact it has an actual crime lab…Batman being a problem solving Detective instead of just showing up and beating up criminals
It needs to be a batvan with aerials to do that. :)

The car from THE BIG SLEEP with the drop down metal plate with two revolvers in what looked to be broom/tool holders might be the first gadget car of any note.

Now the 1960s version looks better in some ways than the Adam West whip itself. My ideal Batmobile would be the late 70’s 80’s SuperFriends slope nose Firebird type thing. The newest version harkens back to movies like VANISHING POINT…pure muscle car. PHANTASM also had a good ride.

Last edited:
Great job on the Johnny Lightning Car. I have one new in the box at I need to build and will be taking inspiration fr your excellent work. I currently own a PT Cruiser which resembles the base car for a 1940’s Batmobile except that it’s a 4-door. However, there exist PT Cruiser Panel Van conversions that are 2-doors with no rear side windows. I’d love to see one rebuilt into a ‘40s Batmobile. (I’d do it myself if I could afford it and could find one of the PT Panel Vans.)

Attachments

• BC8AD565-0745-44DA-AFD2-42B23464D6D8.jpeg
    BC8AD565-0745-44DA-AFD2-42B23464D6D8.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 138

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back