just getting started

Oldsch

Hi, oldshl here. New to your community. I'm interested in up-size scaling from an existing model and trying to figure out how to get started. I have little/no experience/ knowledge/equipment about digital/3D scanning & printing. That being said, I'm hopeful this forum will shorten my learning curve or convince me that what I hope to accomplish is/is not DIY possible or cost effective.

So what I would like to do is: 3D/scan/digitize scale model die cast cars & motorcycles, enlarge & have them 3D printed in whole or in parts that can be assembled to create a full scale replica of said model. Unblemished detail is not a deal breaker as the replica will only serve as a mold for the finished product. The up-scaled replica will be used as a mold for lightweight fiberglass towable trailers/sidecars for two seat style roadster automobiles & motorcycles. This idea sprang from my desire to take my 70lbs boxer with me on roadtrips. weigh in and educate me..

To quickly answer that, this would take an expensive 3D scanner. In addition you will need experience in a GOOD 3d editing software package to edit the 3D model. To print it in lifesize, you would need a very large printer and have to glue all of the parts together. After each piece cools, it distorts slightly and gluing several hundred together you probably won't get a perfect fit on each piece. You will probably get a car body that looks like it was made out of lego.
In order to make a casting of the body, you would need to fill in all of the holes, separations, layer lines and sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, fill.....
Large pieces on a 3D printer can take a while to print, from several hours to days depending on the complexity and how thick the layers are.
I would estimate if would take about a year to print out the body of a VW bug if you ran a printer 24/7. That is if you have zero print failures. I would not recommend using PLA as it is a surprisingly resilient material, but doesn't like being mechanically sanded, because it starts melting quickly.

TazMan2000

In addition, you posted in Commercial Kit Builds. I understand why you may think this would be the proper place to post, considering the scope of your project, but I believe this forum is for Studio Scale and larger builds of commercially available kits.
Moderators correct me if I am wrong.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back