Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair (or Vol. 1 & Vol. 2) 2003-2004

RafalFett

Sr Member
Because I like this movie that have such iconic scenes and props (but also Lucy Liu), I proposed to myself to try to replicate at least 1 paper prop: the infamous Death List Five! But this led, in the end, to 2 more props, and I will talk later about them...

There are 5 variants slightly or clearly visible throughout the movie, from which 3 variants can be seen after Beatrix kills Vernita and sits in the PU$$Y V4G0N and cross off Vernita's name from the list:
Variant 1
Image18.png

Variant 2
Image19.png Image1.png

Variant 3
Image2.png Image3.png

Variant 3 can be seen right after Beatrix kills O-Ren:
Image5.png Image6.png
It's the same list, but with the red highly desaturated.

The other 2 variants can be seen in the airplane scene, where she actually write the list:
Variant 4
Image9.png Image12.png Image14.png Image15.png

Variant 5
Image11.png

Variants 1, 2 & 3 are not written in all caps like variants 4 & 5, and also most variants are not fully visible, except variant 4 which is 95% clearly visible; I decided to do this variant of the Death List Five:
Notebook Page.png Death List Five v1.png

The notebook is a 70 sheets Mead college ruled notebook:
Image16.png Image17.png s-l1600 (6) - 10.5 x 8 inch_2.png s-l1600 (11).png s-l1600 (14).png

Here are the front and back covers and a blank sheet of the notebook fully recreated for the accuracy nuts:
Notebook Front Cover.png Notebook Back Cover.png Notebook Page 1 Blank.png Notebook Page 2 Blank.png

As the cover say, the notebook is 266 x 203 mm.

And now another paper prop and its content is 90-95% visible on screen: Elle's pocket notebook with the black mamba story.
Image32.png Image33.png Image22.png Image23.png Image25_2.png Image26.png

The black front and white back cover of the pocket notebook looks to be clean and no logo or other info is visible.

Here are the covers, a blank page and the 4 page story recreated:
Hand Notebook Front Cover.png Hand Notebook Back Cover.png Hand Notebook Blank Page.png Hand Notebook Pg 1.png Hand Notebook Pg 2.png Hand Notebook Pg 3.png Hand Notebook Pg 4.png

I estimated the notebook to be around 100 x 146 mm, roughly an A6 format.

This paper prop was almost an impossible job, because I was 80% sure that I won't find the proper font or the models seen on this made up book's cover:
Image42.png Image44.png

According to the IMDb site:
The fictional book that Esteban Vihaio (Michael Parks) reads is "The Carrucans of Kurrajong" by Jasmine Yuen. Kurrajong is a town in Australia. Crew member Jasmine Yuen Carrucan is Australian. A character named Old Man Carrucan (played by Bruce Dern) appeared in Django Unchained (2012). The character Django is from the Carrucan plantation, referencing back to this movie and Jasmine Yuen Carrucan.

After I isolated the kangaroo and the border model, almost instantly got good results: a PNG corner model of the border and 2 variants of the kangaroo:
pngfind.com-gold-corner-border-png-4060311.png stock-vector-they-are-an-animal-of-australia-with-small-head-large-and-powerful-hind-legs-huge...jpg AdobeStock_231661787_Preview.jpeg

While the kangaroo is not a 100% match, it is the best I could find online. Finding the correct font was a longer story, similar to the one in the Stranger Things thread regarding the Tom Cruise font (here ==> Stranger things). The font is called Dumaigne, but in order to match the cover design, some of the words had to be cut in 2-3 parts and realigned. Here's an overlay of all elements on the front cover:
Book Cover Overlay.png

And the full hardcover recreated:
Book Cover.png

Made it as 180 x 300 mm the full cover, or 180 x 129 x 42 mm the book's dimension.

And finally, an existing paper prop seen in Budd's trailer:
Image41.png Image36.png Image37.png

It's a movie poster with Charles Bronson starring in Mr. Majestyk:
MrMajestyk_30x40_styleA_USA-1.jpg

Have fun!

Last edited:
Back