Oh yes, I’m with you about context.

What I’m talking about is that as fans, we should be looking at the possibilities of how something could happen rather than saying it’s wrong.

My point is that by the end of ROTJ Luke had overcome those impulses, that's the whole point of that scene. It's not that he "does" these things, it's he "did" these things. Luke was in his early 20s in ROTJ it's unlikely (and unbelievable to me as an audience member) that he would revert to a less mature man individual as he got older. That's not the way people usually age, generally people gain wisdom from their experiences. To write Luke as the opposite of normal human behavior (and his established character traits) is why I couldn't buy into his arc in TLJ. For what it's worth I don't care if it was JJ, RJ or GL that came up with the idea. For me it was rediculous.

A person's life is full of ups and downs. Generally, they climb upwards. But not always, some people decline as they get older. This evident in some mythic heroes, such as King Arthur. This can also be seen in biblical stories, of likes of King David and Solomon.

Well if we are missing information (context) then the story is flawed. It's wrong in the sense that it conflicts with what we are shown in the previous films. It's not wrong in terms of writing, it's wrong in terms of continuity. When you write a series that has a chronological order and there are large spans of time between episodes you have to take the time to properly get the audience up to speed. J.J. has a tendency to purposefully omit crucial information to keep the focus on the action and it often is to the detriment of his films upon repeat viewings.

I am asking exactly the questions you are. How did Luke get this way? What did Ben do that was so wrong? We don't know. There were ways to integrate the old characters with the new in a way that would allow the new cast to take the torch and continue the fight, without having to resort to undoing Luke or Han or Leia's arcs completely. Let the sequels be about the new characters as it should be.

A lot of this lies with the way JJ set things up so the blame can't all be put on Rian Johnson.

A person's life is full of ups and downs. Generally, they climb upwards. But not always, some people decline as they get older. This evident in some mythic heroes, such as King Arthur. This can also be seen in biblical stories, of likes of King David and Solomon.

Which is fine of we are given reasons for how the characters we know end up the way they do. What happened in those 30 years since Return of the Jedi? I shouldn't have to read a novel to know the details either. It needs to be told in the movies. Which is one issue, of many, that I had with the prequels. Rather than having the trilogy take place during the clone wars they had to create a TV series to delve into it and develop Anakin further as a character. People say all the time how Anakin is so much more relatable in the show. Isn't that a flaw in that the movies couldn't accomplish this? Sure they're different mediums but still.

We know David and Solomons entire stories. We know how they ended up where they did. We have context.

Last edited:
Well if we are missing information (context) then the story is flawed. It's wrong in the sense that it conflicts with what we are shown in the previous films. It's not wrong in terms of writing, it's wrong in terms of continuity. When you write a series that has a chronological order and there are large spans of time between episodes you have to take the time to properly get the audience up to speed. J.J. has a tendency to purposefully omit crucial information to keep the focus on the action and it often is to the detriment of his films upon repeat viewings.

I am asking exactly the questions you are. How did Luke get this way? What did Ben do that was so wrong? We don't know. There were ways to integrate the old characters with the new in a way that would allow the new cast to take the torch and continue the fight, without having to resort to undoing Luke or Han or Leia's arcs completely. Let the sequels be about the new characters as it should be.

A lot of this lies with the way JJ set things up so the blame can't all be put on Rian Johnson.

Did we not get all the context we needed? I mean Luke says "I saw darkness. I'd sensed it building in him. I'd seen it in moments during his training. But then I looked inside, and it was beyond what I ever imagined. Snoke had already turned his heart.[important part] He who would destruction, and pain, and death, and the end of everything I love because of what he will become."(emphasis mine)

To me anyways it seems pretty clear, that Luke is seeing the death of Han, Leia, Chewie, R2, his students........ we clearly hear Kylo's unstable lightsaber, so Luke is seeing one possible future. For me, the mere fact that he saw sister get killed, is more than enough to clarify Luke acting the way he did, particularly when you remember how he acted in OT when he sees his sister in pain, and later when Vader threatens to turn her.

It's actually a common theme amongst the two Skywalker men. In that, they have visions of the future, And their emotionally controlled actions trying to prevent the future ends up creating said future.

But again, Luke knows more than Anakin that the future is not set in stone.

Also so what if Luke saw that? Ben hadn't done any of those things yet. Vader did far worse and we as an audience witnessed it in the films and he was able to be saved. How is Ben beyond saving?

Ultimately all of this is moot at the end of the day because here we are but it doesn't change that it could have been done better in my opinion. We will likely never agree on this but it is what it is.

I'm excited for the Mandalorian!

Last edited:
So I was kinda out of the loop for a couple of days. Sorry about that.

Here's the vids from day 3(some are bits of the day 2 live stream)

I haven't gotten to watch everything I wanted yet. But my highlights of the things I've seen. Is Doug Chaing's talk, The Mandalorian panel, but the best was The Clone Wars panel, that was beyond amazing.

Droids and creatures.... joker I could hug you right now!!

The other reason the Sequels bug me is that from the Prequels, through Lucas' background info not necessarily what's on screen, that it's extremely rare for any Jedi to leave the order let alone go to the Dark Side. The old EU was AWFUL about doing that constantly. My main problem is that the Luke we got was not as good as what the SW books came up with. I would easily except it if there was a good reason, but to me having your students killed drives you forward not backwards. I don't think that was enough to give us the "Luke" we got. The rumors that came out pre-TFA were a lot more interesting with Luke being afraid of the powers he obtained and going into exile. THAT would have made sense. This just comes off like bad writing.

That would have been a cool angle for Luke. As his knowledge and influence with the Force grew, he feared he might abuse said power and isolated himself to prevent himself from the temptation to use it for his own selfish purposes.

The other reason the Sequels bug me is that from the Prequels, through Lucas' background info not necessarily what's on screen, that it's extremely rare for any Jedi to leave the order let alone go to the Dark Side. The old EU was AWFUL about doing that constantly. My main problem is that the Luke we got was not as good as what the SW books came up with. I would easily except it if there was a good reason, but to me having your students killed drives you forward not backwards. I don't think that was enough to give us the "Luke" we got. The rumors that came out pre-TFA were a lot more interesting with Luke being afraid of the powers he obtained and going into exile. THAT would have made sense. This just comes off like bad writing.
Rare? Eh.....Here's the Jedi that George had leave the order/fall to Dark Side, Count Dooku, Ahoska, Asajj Ventress, Barris Offee, Pong Krell, Anakin Skywalker. And after he sold Lucasfilm, the entirety of the Inquisitorius is made up of fallen Jedi, and whose numbers are unknown.

That would have been a cool angle for Luke. As his knowledge and influence with the Force grew, he feared he might abuse said power and isolated himself to prevent himself from the temptation to use it for his own selfish purposes.

I always thought Luke was referring to himself

“I once saw this power before.. it didn’t scare me enough back then.. it does now”

I thought he meant he reach a level of power he couldn’t control, something bad happened and that’s why he exiled himself

Oh and this was pre-TFA Luke " Luke was being described as a Col. Kurtz type hiding from the world in a cave."
DsisPYaUcAI5UTJ?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Which would have been more compelling to me. He feared the dark potential within himself and went into exile when his power caused some sort of accident.

If that were the case, maybe that's what tempted Ben in the first place. He saw what his uncle could do and he wanted that power for himself at that point he turned to Smoke to obtain said powers.

I always thought Luke was referring to himself

“I once saw this power before.. it didn’t scare me enough back then.. it does now”

I thought he meant he reach a level of power he couldn’t control, something bad happened and that’s why he exiled himself

He says that he saw raw power in Ben Solo.

Found an article that talks about the lightsaber building at Galaxies Edge
How fans will make their own lightsabers at Disney’s Star Wars land
Kinda cool, I can see kids going nuts over these. Remind me of the Ultimate Lightsaber kit. View attachment 1010906

There is a whole thread on this topic already with info, pictures, video.
Disney’s Galaxy’s Edge- step by step description of lightsaber building experience

For several years now Disney have had a version geared for kids which was basically a the Hasbro parts in bins so kids could build there own lightsaber.

This new one is will be using LED blades and die cast metal parts. Although kids could participate it geared toward adults and teens mostly because it’s probably going to be close to $150 for this experience. They say the experience is immersive and that you need preregistration in order to guarantee a spot to do it.

I believe the new rc droid build experience is more for the kids. I’m going to assume that they will still do the older toy saber build and the smaller build a droid at the Star Tours area and maybe still at Disney Springs but I’ve not heard any confirmation on that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back