Mal Reynolds Firefly Pistol

<div class='quotetop'>(Noeland @ Nov 1 2006, 04:03 AM) [snapback]1348543[/snapback]</div>
I used a hair dryer to straighten mine, and it worked like a charm. I held the dryer on the piece for several minutes on both sides then applied very little pressure, and very little was needed, it straightened out nicely.
[/b]
And it doesn't soften it so much that you have to worry about leaving fingerprint impressions or anything?

No, it doesn't really "soften" the resin, or melt it, it just makes it a bit flexible, but the resin doesn't retain the heat for a long time either. Just minutes. If you apply too much pressure you will break the barrel right off.

First coat of paint - gloss black as an undercoat to really make the brass color appear metallic once applied. Also straightened the barrel and added a round piece to simulate the hammer on the actual prop. :thumbsup

Have painted the trigger, trigger guard and the metal frame on the grip with chrome silver - when weathered it will look like polished steel.

Looking forward to painting the wood colored grips and the rest of the gun - just need some liquid masking to do so... but my supplier has run out and I have to wait until a new batch arrives, which could take a while.

First layer of weathering. Also painted the wood grip black, making it ready to do the wood graining soon. Hope you like (the flash washed out some of the weathering, but when comparing to the other pictures, it is easy to spot the differences):

Sorry for the lack of updates:

First of the wood graining effect added: ivory brushed roughly on in a streak pattern, so that the underlying black color shines through. This will later be covered by a wash of light brown, then some bronze in a streak pattern and lastly, all covered with a wash of black, which should give it that deep brownish wood color. :thumbsup

Has anyone built one of these using philippes wood grips? I've been working on mine, got the cast-on grips carved off, and the wood grips are a little oversized.

NoHumorMan,
the hammer should be higher up and near flush with the sides surrounding the hammer itself.

Thats if you want to be stickler ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robstyle @ Jan 20 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]1401267[/snapback]</div>
NoHumorMan,
the hammer should be higher up and near flush with the sides surrounding the hammer itself.
Thats if you want to be stickler ;)
[/b]
Yup... noticed that... good eye. :thumbsup

May change it to become more accurate.

Newest progress. Disliked the previous metal color - the light brass - so I opted to repaint it with a layer of gloss black and then copper and this is the result. The masking tape peeled off some of the paint I had applied to the grips, so that will have to be re-painted, as well as some parts of the silvery/steel area.

Will add gold streaks as weathering on top of a black wash, only where scratches should occur during normal wear and tear... and then seal it with a wash of thinned black.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back