New Martian helmet model and build

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am almost ready to start printing my Martian helmet design but want to get the visor nailed down first.
There must be places out there that offer clear dome/visor for space helmets that could be adapted?
Has anyone tried to cast these domes or does it need to be always vacuum formed?
h2.JPG
h1.JPG

The dome for that helmet is a custom shape that I highly doubt you'd find anywhere else. Vaccum forming is the only way I know of you could get a good result from. I've seen one person try casting it and it was so-so.

The inside visor doesn't actually close, so it doesn't need to be transparent and could probably be printed and painted.

I'm currently waiting on vacuum forming for my domes, it's the only part I have left.

I thought since others also modeled this there might be a chance. Although mine is probably different anyway, not sure if mine is even the correct overall size. The inner visor threw me off quite a bit as I was trying to make it movable, but the compound curves make that very difficult. Trying to figure out the inside foam inserts and head band/fixtures. Battery compartment/contacts for lights is another issue. I guess I have to build a vacuum former.

I'd say casting such a big piece is mighty tricky. I was wondering, did you end up with a negative draft angle on the area where the "ears" are on your dome? I might mention that I have a guy making the buck for mine at this moment(though he has run in to some issues with non hardening silicone) and the buck itself for the big dome-piece is pretty complex since it needs an inner core and a outer skin of silicone(at least on my build).
Great work by the way

Very slight negative draft wouldn't be a problem, may be 1mm or so. Trying to figure out the neck covering as I intend to make it wearable.

You could also try blowing molding the dome. It might be trickier to get the right shape though.

To blow-form the dome, you cut out the base shape of the dome from a sheet of plywood (or similar), and then sandwich your plastic between that and another sheet of plywood. Then you heat up the plastic until it is soft, and then blow compressed air between the plastic and the second sheet of ply through a hole. This causes the plastic to inflate like a bubble. Once the bubble has reached the right height, stop and hold the air pressure till the plastic hardens.

Like I said, it may be trickier to get the right shape since the Martian dome is ovoid, but you don't have to carve a buck.

I would 3d print a buck and vac-form. It's a lot of prep to get ready especially if you lack the equipment, but I think you'd get the best results. A lot of good info here:

Yup, excellent info. Thanks. Fortunately, I have already a very good oil free vacuum pump. Need the heating elements.

The dome for that helmet is a custom shape that I highly doubt you'd find anywhere else. Vaccum forming is the only way I know of you could get a good result from. I've seen one person try casting it and it was so-so.

The inside visor doesn't actually close, so it doesn't need to be transparent and could probably be printed and painted.

I'm currently waiting on vacuum forming for my domes, it's the only part I have left.

What are the overall dimensions of your helmet? I don't have a good reference of the actual size.

Last edited:
I can answer that since I'm the one who modelled the helmet. The opening in the air seal collar of my model is roughly174 x 238mm and is an approximation basically since I neither had the dimensions of the actual prop. I did get a reference picture of the mid rear big connector from Frank Ippolito showing the Diameter to be 2.1" so I've used that as a base for a lot of the modelling.

Thank you so much. Beautiful build you showed in the thread. I am very close to that measurement (176x245mm). I was concerned as I have a large head and I will have to scale that up quite a bit. Not attempting to recreate the prop exactly but need something I can wear to have fun ( 3D modeling is part of that). I am doing a lot of detail work now based on screen grabs. Still not clear on how the head band is secured in the helmet but it is probably essential to get that right to make this wearable. Apparently, Frank or Adam can't share much info freely based on the deal they had for looking at and reproducing the original.

Last edited:
Yeah, To be honest I'm am unsure of that as well. Whatever works I guess ;) Do you have an idea of what headband you'll use?

Looks awesome! Did you catch the chinese text on the right hand side?(I didn't until all printed)
and also, some details on the collar you might want to add.

Attachments

• YT_gag-reel.JPG
    YT_gag-reel.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 464
  • Raised text Close-up.jpg
    Raised text Close-up.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 543
Looks awesome! Did you catch the chinese text on the right hand side?(I didn't until all printed)
and also, some details on the collar you might want to add.

Thanks for the detail. It is amazing how much detail work was done on the original. Yes, I caught the difference between left and right side text. Not sure how I can print that text detail though. The collar will change when I figure the collar material and attachment.

I actually cut those parts out of the main print and had them printed in an resin printer, then made a slurry of acetone and talc to glue and hide the seam. Worked really good.

Attachments

• IMG-7413.JPG
    IMG-7413.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 546
As it turns out, the most tricky part I find, is the Emergency oxygen-text. It's really hard to keep the detail while adding primer/filler/paint and try to make the print-layers invisible. I'd had to redo my latest build a couple of times by removing the paint by airbrushing acetone locally over the text. Quite a mess ;) Anyway, my advice is not add any radii to text-edge I guess.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back