[Mass Effect] Costume Veterans?

I am trying to set up the basic outlines for a Mass Effect costume for Halloween this year. I'm going on a cruise, and I want to blow everyone on that ship out of the water! (and win a ship on a stick)
Even if they don't recognize my costume, I think it would still be cool to maybe win just by how awesome it would look. :)

Anyway, I've watched countless videos and read along some forums documenting builds, but I'm still kinda lost. I don't know where to start, or how to start. I have no idea what supplies are best for longevity, because I would definitely like to wear this costume way more than just once! I'm hoping to take it on the cruise, maybe attend a couple Comic Cons, do a photo shoot, and maybe even save it until next year.

My main goal is to make a replica of the N7 armor. Specifically, the female Medium or Heavy Colossus Armor. I'm leaning more towards the Medium Armor though, since I really love the red markings everywhere.

I'd also like to learn so that I could use it as a base to make more than one suit. Possibly make a male version so I can get a friend to tag along with me as maybe Kaidan or a male Shepard. I might even grow a pair, and try making a Garrus or Nihilus costume! :love

My questions to the people that have already built suits (ME-related or not):

1. Do you have a copy of a 'supplies' list that you go back to when you build suits, or do you improvise each time? If you have a record of the supplies you bought, would it be possible to maybe send me a copy so I can really see what, and how much, I would need?
2. What are some of the biggest mistakes you made while making your suit(s)? How did you fix and/or modify them... or did you just start all over again?
3. How did you fit them for your body? Did you use a dress form of yourself, or did you make each piece one at a time and fit them on a when-made basis? I found this video and I think it could help... what do you guys think?
How To Make a Custom Dress Form- Howcast.com
4. How long does it usually take on average to make a full suit? How long did it take for you to finish your suit? How much time were you working with each day/weekend for the project?
5. How did you get the suit from Point A to Point B when you finished? Did you make cases for the different parts, or just gently stack them in the back seat of your car/truck and hope for the best? :rolleyes
6. Did you use foam, Pepakura, or did you mold pieces yourself and use plastic or something? Which medium do/did you like the best? Which is easier to work with, and/or cheaper?
7. As for the black "spandex" under the armor I'm seeing a lot in finished projects: Did you actually use Under Armour, Spanx (for the ladies), or did you use a wetsuit? I'm leaning more toward using a wetsuit, so I don't get that "shine" to my suit. I'd like the undergarments to be as matte and opaque as possible, as well as create the illusion of having some thickness to the suit to make it appear more realistic and "sturdy".

And, of course...

8. How much did everything cost? And I mean everything.

Looking back on my post, I've noticed that I'm kinda holding this suit to a high standard, despite not even planning it out yet. I can already tell this is going to be expensive. :disappointed sigh:

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back