McQuarrie Concept X-Wing Build

stevee671

Petr Savelka McQuarrie X-Wing Concept
A few years ago, I purchased the stl files on CGTrader for this McQuarrie Concept X-Wing. I am a BIG fan of Ralph McQuarrie’s work. I think some of his designs were better than what we got in the original trilogy.

Petr’s description is as follows:
“The whole model is created to match the Studio Scale Standard which is about 1:24.
There are 83 parts in total. The larger parts are optimized for FDM printers, the smaller parts for SLA printers. Only by using two different technologies will guarantee the best possible quality of your print (FDM for hardness, SLA for details), but you can definitely print it in any way you want.
All files are in stl format.

The finished model is huge (about 49 x 51 x 20 cm) and ready to be attached to a display stand (not included) – the diameter to the attachment hole is 12 mm”

01.jpg

Fuselage dry fit assembly.
The above picture shows the fuselage printed on a Bambu X1 Carbon FDM printer. First thing you’ll notice is its size. This thing is big.

The quality of the print is very good. There are fine layer lines present on the print, but with automotive filler/printer, these should disappear.

04.jpg

Aft section of fuselage.
The fuselage is comprised of seven FDM printed parts. What’s nice is that these pieces fit very well.

Cockpit-2.jpg

SLA printed cockpit, instrument panel/glare shield, pilot and seat.
The SLA (resin) cockpit pieces print very well and have exceptional detail and fit very well together. The fit of the entire assembly fits nicely into the fuselage.

15.jpg

There are some missing panels on the kit. This is corrected with a bit of 3D modeling. Here you see the panels installed.

Adding some missing panels...drew on the missing panel lines to locate panels
21.jpg

Cut and placed using styrene
27.jpg

28.jpg

Getting the display base prepped and ready for filler primer.
2.jpg

and Primed
base3.jpg

Lots more to do...
29.jpg

You can see more here

Last edited:
Back