Monty Python Holy Hand Grenade

Eric Ardros

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've always been a big fan of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and with John Cleese coming to Ottawa Comic Con in early September I decided now was the time to put together my own screen-accurate replica of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch as seen in the film:

Holy Hand Grenade 21.jpg
221110_9-1024x616.jpg

Thanks to the multitude of close-up pics and rather informative item description posted in the Propstore auction listing a few years back:

Screenshot 2024-08-07 185749.jpg

I believe I have the main parts sourced to start building a faithful representation of the original prop:

DSC11759.JPG
DSC11762.JPG
DSC11760.JPG

Given the time crunch I'm dealing with, I didn't have time to source a metal cross so that part has been fashioned out of styrene tube I had on hand instead.

I decided I would also put together a smaller version of the chest the hand grenade was carried in. I'll be making all the hardware seen from scratch using styrene. I've never done a wood grain paint finish on a prop before, so that will be a new learning experience for me.

Since I plan on showing this to John Cleese at Comic Con, I went and had a custom MR-style signature plaque made for this:

DSC11763.JPG

Once done this is going to be quite a divergence from the usual (typically sci-fi) pieces in my collection :lol: It's going to look really cool, though!

Last edited:
Bwahahaha, made from a Ballcock from a Toilet Cistern....

Lets grab the cheapest thing we can find and spray paint it gold.
Well done that Prop Master!!!

I feel your pain now that hes cancelled! (have my doubts he was ever really coming lol)
Had this all set up and ready to go!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-22 175156.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-22 175156.png
    857.8 KB · Views: 21
Bwahahaha, made from a Ballcock from a Toilet Cistern....

Lets grab the cheapest thing we can find and spray paint it gold.
Well done that Prop Master!!!

Yeah, I got a good chuckle out of that, lol. That's often the way of it, though.

Bought myself a 5" stainless steel ball float off eBay to stay accurate to the original prop.

I feel your pain now that hes cancelled! (have my doubts he was ever really coming lol)
Had this all set up and ready to go!

I didn't realize he'd cancelled his appearance until you mentioned it. Haven't checked out the website recently. That's disappointing :(

Regardless, this is something I've wanted to build for some time so I might as well stick with it and see it through!

Last edited:
Back