My Studio Scale TIE X-1 Advanced

You're welcome. The Upol is really good lightweight primer, perfect for delicate kit parts. They make a ton of different primers and some don't react well to styrene, so make sure you test it on something before you paint a piece you've spent weeks on. I get it at Auto Zone her in CA.

Yes, thanks for that info.

Last year we went through some testing of different primers in the Laika model shop. We had been using NAPA primer, which was pretty good, but was prone to dry spray (in my experience) and more problematically, can failure (simply not spraying at all, or slow oozing loss of contents). We ran into supply chain issues with it though, which is what prompted the search for an alternative. One of the brands that we tried was Upol.

I personally have always preferred Evercoat primer (in addition to their glazing putties). I haven't needed to acquire any in a while though, so I'm not sure if availability has become a problem or not.

The Evercoat rattle can primer I'm thinking of, I'm not sure you can get anymore. Too bad it was a good primer.
Tell Ken I said hi.

You're welcome. The Upol is really good lightweight primer, perfect for delicate kit parts. They make a ton of different primers and some don't react well to styrene, so make sure you test it on something before you paint a piece you've spent weeks on. I get it at Auto Zone her in CA.
I'm not sure I understand why some of their primers don't react well with styrene:unsure: What are the major probs you had with those primers?

I'm not sure I understand why some of their primers don't react well with styrene:unsure: What are the major probs you had with those primers?
I'm not sure I do either. Certain primers must have a chemical that doesn't react well to styrene, acetone...etc. with the High 5, it will soften/melt styrene under the paint and the paint on top will crack.

I'm not sure I do either. Certain primers must have a chemical that doesn't react well to styrene, acetone...etc. with the High 5, it will soften/melt styrene under the paint and the paint on top will crack.
Wow...not good; thanks for the info(y)

Probably won't have any updates for a while, work is getting crazy, I have outside jobs to finish and real life is getting in the way.

Anyway, finished the lower "droid strip" today.

20240126_204016.jpg
20240126_171249.jpg
20240126_171818.jpg
20240126_171753.jpg
20240126_171747.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back