[Need Help] Skyrim Dawnguard Gauntlets

BenjaminForever

I am diving head deep into making some leather gauntlets from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and I need some help here. This is one of the first replica items I have ever made, and it is in fact my first post here on this site, and I need your help. Anyone who can help me out with making first the initial glove out of leather, and then the extra stichings on the back plate armor portion, it would be greatly appreciated. I have all of the tools needed to make said gloves, and most of the different leathers and thread.

Here are a few pictures I have looked through for sourcing of materials, pattern making, etc.:

64559-5-1428509777.jpg

64559-1-1433846174.jpg

64559-1-1428509889.jpg

Here is the first sketch that was drawn for the back plate:
RoughSketch.jpg

Here are the types of leather I own currently, the darker leather (left) being thicker, and the lighter one (right) being thinner:
Resized_20170605_001543.jpeg

Here I will list all of the initial questions I have:

- How do you cut, construct, and sew gloves long and thin enough to match the gloves seen in the sample photos?

- Are there templates out there already for this type of glove that is then sewn to the straps? I unfortunately could not find any.

- Should there be a metal plate sewn inside of the backplate?

- Where should I sew the glove to the other parts of the guantlet?

- Is there anywhere to source nice buckles for this?

What I do know: Feel free to correct me where you think I'm wrong

- Every part seen above in the gauntlet is leather, excluding the metal in the outer plate and the buckles on the outside.

- The metal plate is composed of four individual leathers,
1. The first initial thin layer of leather that would be applied directly to the plate
2. The lighter outer most section which would be possibly a band that is folded and rolled over the edge
3. the thin dark strip that would be the final layer before the straps
4. The straps that would go over top of all of the other leathers and possibly go through a slotted section in the lightest leather to wrap worund.

- The leather straps are one continuous part that goes through the plate and wraps around the glove.

- The glove reaches up to the forearm and I assume up to the last buckle on the gauntlet.

Any help would be appreciated, I am open to any advice, and I will keep track and update my work here in the future.

Sincerely,

Ben

Last edited:
I've little experience with fabrics, but I've long thought about making the same thing.

Use gardening gloves as a template. Trace your hand with about half an inch clearance, and sew it inside out. Sew as close to the glove as you can with about 2mm clearance, and cut out the excess. Putting it right side out should make for a nicely fitted glove. Before you sew the cuffs shut, sew the straps in so you get that nice fitted, tucked in look.

Don't sew the backplate into the glove. Make the straps the connection point. It makes for an easier build, and lets you adjust where the backplate is on the fly. As for the plate itself, leather adds enough strength so even cardboard works. But that's the cheap option. If you already have the metal plates, perfect. But sewing the backplate straight onto the glove is unnecessary.

Looking forward to the build!

Thanks for the advice, I found some really good gloves that fit me to make a pattern from and they have these things called Fourchettes that I learned about in this Instructables : http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Gloves/ that is critical for making flexible and fitted gloves. I do plan on making the straps go through the back plate "The leather straps are one continuous part that goes through the plate and wraps around the glove." and good thinking on sewing the straps before sewing the cuffs. It's probably one of my most arduous projects yet, but I think I can get them looking pretty good, and I've got somewhere I could source the metal from so they will have some nice weight to them.

The costume here is really nice coozco, I love the helm that you made and the sewing on everything is quite nice. Too bad you couldn't give me any pointers on the gauntlets though, thanks for sharing, they really are turning out to be a project of their own, gloves are really hard to pattern, but like I said I will leave progress stuff up here, so hopefully someone like you can appreciate them.

P.S. I look forward to seeing your final finished project

I don't know if you need any more reference images, but I have the remastered version of the game that I can get close ups from if you want. Also I heard that in the Lord of The Rings they used wallpaper paste, mixed with dirt from the location they were filming in, and put it on the clothing to give the feeling that the people really lived there.

Besides that I'm afraid I can't give much advice as I've never made anything with any fabrics.

Welcome to the best community on the internet! Good luck, I can't wait to see it finished!

EDIT: I should add that if you do the dirt/wallpaper paste mix for weathering, you should try it on a scrap piece first.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, and more reference images would be great, seeing that I don't actually own a PC well off enough to run something shaders and textures, especially on the inside of the glove or multiple angles would be awesome!

Thanks for the advice, and more reference images would be great, seeing that I don't actually own a PC well off enough to run something shaders and textures, especially on the inside of the glove or multiple angles would be awesome!
I actually don't own it on PC either, I can't run shaders or textures on PS4, but it is the remastered edition so it will look better than normal. I'll see what I can come up with and get back to you!

My deepest apologies for taking so long getting these, here are the best reference images I managed to take. These aren't as high resolution as the pictures you have above, but I managed to get some different angles I think.

Skyrim_20170616090454.jpgSkyrim_20170616090416.jpgSkyrim_20170616090408.jpgSkyrim_20170616090359.jpgSkyrim_20170616090222.jpgSkyrim_20170616090154.jpgSkyrim_20170616090006.jpgSkyrim_20170616085954.jpgSkyrim_20170616085948.jpgSkyrim_20170616085940.jpgSkyrim_20170616085933.jpgSkyrim_20170616085916.jpgSkyrim_20170616085907.jpgSkyrim_20170616085838.jpgSkyrim_20170616085831.jpgSkyrim_20170616085812.jpgSkyrim_20170616090559.jpg

Hope this helps! Good luck!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back