New Hasbro Kenner "Vintage" Star Wars figures

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
51977394_841390252877732_5988974411259052032_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

Toy-Fair-2019-Hasbro-3.75-Star-Wars-001-928x483.jpg

Believe it or not there are people out there that would buy these from someone passing them off as first gen if that was not on there. Usually online buyers.
I am betting there are plenty of other “tells” on the boxes, like copyright on back and other differences. Enough “tells” to avoid the need for that big glaring red dot. And I’m 100% sure it probably says Hasbro somewhere on the back too.

I am betting there are plenty of other “tells” on the boxes, like copyright on back and other differences. Enough “tells” to avoid the need for that big glaring red dot. And I’m 100% sure it probably says Hasbro somewhere on the back too.
I was speaking more to the online consumer that would buy them based on just a doctored photo and a good price with crafty wording in a Craigslist ad. The “tells” are the obvious ones, clearly.

This is a great idea for those who never had the chance to get the figures in the 70s/80s and for those who would like to display figures in pristine condition (just imagine, you'll be able get a non-yellowed Stormtrooper again!). In addition it gives you the chance to display these as mock-ups and keep the classic ones safely in storage. You could also use them to close gaps in your collection and use these instead of going broke on the aftermarket. The figs should be easily identifiable by the date stamp, 1997 (there was a four-pack and I'm sure they will be re-using the molds) or 2019. There will be a size difference as well because of production differences (the 1997 figs were a tad smaller, I may have read that the new ones are a tad bigger). In addition, they might smell differently (NO KIDDING!). I think the Retro badge is a sticker because it is not in the same place on the cards.

Unfortunately this line was not offered two years ago to celebrate the 40th anniversary, so we have a missed opportunity here. Accessories might become an issue. If the new weapons are not distinguishable from the classic ones they could be easily mixed up and sold as "originals". Technically they are but they are not the originals from the 80s. I suppose the casual collector / fan won't care but there might be collectors who wish to pair vintage figs with weapons from the same era.

Customizers get more "cannon fodder" and don't have to use vintage figs for their creations. That's definitely a plus.

Thankfully I have all the vintage figs I want, I don't have to worry about getting repros because I got everything from legit sources at a time when repros were pretty much unknown, so this offer only appeals to me when it comes to getting pristine additions (I say "additions" and not "replacements" because I don't intend to replace anything; well, because of nostalgia). My Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper and Hoth Luke have discoloured badly, so getting a new version with white parts is not a bad idea. Getting them on a vintage style card is a welcomed bonus. The sticker doesn't bother me as much; there are a bazillion of images of the old cards without stickers available in the web which can be printed, put in a folder or hung on the wall.

Last edited:
This is a great idea for those who never had the chance to get the figures in the 70s/80s and for those who would like to display figures in pristine condition (just imagine, you'll be able get a non-yellowed Stormtrooper again!). In addition it gives you the chance to display these as mock-ups and keep the classic ones safely in storage. You could also use them to close gaps in your collection and use these instead of going broke on the aftermarket. The figs should be easily identifiable by the date stamp, 1997 (there was a four-pack and I'm sure they will be re-using the molds) or 2019. There will be a size difference as well because of production differences (the 1997 figs were a tad smaller, I may have read that the new ones are a tad bigger). In addition, they might smell differently (NO KIDDING!). I think the Retro badge is a sticker because it is not in the same place on the cards.

Unfortunately this line was not offered two years ago to celebrate the 40th anniversary, so we have a missed opportunity here. Accessories might become an issue. If the new weapons are not distinguishable from the classic ones they could be easily mixed up and sold as "originals". Technically they are but they are not the originals from the 80s. I suppose the casual collector / fan won't care but there might be collectors who wish to pair vintage figs with weapons from the same era.

Customizers get more "cannon fodder" and don't have to use vintage figs for their creations. That's definitely a plus.

Thankfully I have all the vintage figs I want, I don't have to worry about getting repros because I got everything from legit sources at a time when repros were pretty much unknown, so this offer only appeals to me when it comes to getting pristine additions (I say "additions" and not "replacements" because I don't intend to replace anything; well, because of nostalgia). My Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper and Hoth Luke have discoloured badly, so getting a new version with white parts is not a bad idea. Getting them on a vintage style card is a welcomed bonus. The sticker doesn't bother me as much; there are a bazillion of images of the old cards without stickers available in the web which can be printed, put in a folder or hung on the wall.

I agree. It's appeases those who didn't have them as a kid and allows customizers to do their thing without damaging/destroying real vintage ones. I myself have a few of the vintage ones, as well as some from the 1990s line (though at the time, I certainly wanted the vintage ones). Sometimes, there's no school like old school. :)

I think it's a cool offering. I won't be participating but it's a fun way for collectors to get vintage styled figures on decent looking cardbacks without having to take out a loan to get a true carded original.

I had only 4 vintage figures growing up (two were hand me downs from my cousins) and I collected the Power of the Force line from 1995 up until the first wave of Phantom Menace figures and then I stopped. I barely got any of my money back when I decided to offload all of them in 2002 or so.

I did get into the Vintage Collection figures from about 2007- 2011 or so but ended up offloading them too. I loved those vintage cardbacks! Such a cool throwback style to the originals.

I just couldn't risk getting hooked again if these figures took off and I'd have to buy every one. Just too deep of a rabbit hole when I need funds for other things. lol

My very first ones were the Jawa and the Sand People, both on ROTJ card (I was born three weeks before Ep IV premiered, so ROTJ was my first encounter with Star Wars). I still have them, they look great and are still complete. :)

If I had to pick my favourites from each movie it would be

Darth Vader
Stormtrooper
Jawa
Sand People

R2-D2 Sensorscope
C-3PO removable limbs
Luke Hoth
Yoda

Admiral Ackbar
Klaatu
Logray
Biker Scout

Ackbar is still my favourite because of his friendly face and his "high-5-hand". :)

They didn't need to ad faux wear or a giant-ass badge to make sure they couldn't be resold as originals. Such an indication could be much less obtrusive and still do the job, just like the fan repro cards out there do. These are a hard pass for me for these reasons and these reasons alone.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back