New Hasbro Kenner "Vintage" Star Wars figures

They didn't need to ad faux wear or a giant-ass badge to make sure they couldn't be resold as originals. Such an indication could be much less obtrusive and still do the job, just like the fan repro cards out there do. These are a hard pass for me for these reasons and these reasons alone.

I agree. They should be able to find a better way to make the easily distinguishable from original vintage cards. Just using a different card stock (more plastic than cardboard) with some well-hidden markings would do it. Sorta like how dollar bills have semi-invisible watermarks.

I'll add that these figures are not taken from original molds and are actually a bit larger than the original vintage figures. Maybe with enough out-cry you can all try and get them to remove the unnecessary "wear" marks and that giant "retro" label

LOVE the Tarkin! They sold me on the “feel” of the packaging 13 or however many years back, I bought a ton of OTC stuff. But the novelty does wear...old school Tarkin though. This is a must!

SO! Target exclusive? Perorder spots already filled?! C´mon ... The thing is the new line would fill that "my budget allows only for one vintage fig MOV per year"-void. Choose wisely, young collector ...

This is an interesting idea but it could have been executed with more precision and I'm not a fan of the gaudy "RETRO" logo that they've added.

On the other hand, how else are you to target the average 35 year old for the impulse buy?

I think this is a slap together project to target collectors... in Targets.

I get it...

Last edited:
Vintage Star Wars fans shouldn’t worry too much because the carded figures feature a distressed paint application so it looks like they are old. There is no word on whether the figures themselves have any difference, but hopefully Hasbro will clear that up today.

This does make collecting loose original vintage Star Wars figures much harder now. I bet some shady people will take advantage of newer collectors, or people that just don’t realize what they are will mix and match.

This does make collecting loose original vintage Star Wars figures much harder now. I bet some shady people will take advantage of newer collectors, or people that just don’t realize what they are will mix and match.
Always check the COO / date stamp. It reveals what figure you are dealing with. The new weapons are said to be glossier and thus easily identifiable (in hand).

The Toy Tony affair has left a much deeper dent in collecting history.

I've heard mixed results on trying to remove the sticker. My wife uses Goo Gone to remove price stickers from things she intends to resell on Amazon. But I have no idea what it does to the cardboard underneath.

The secret is to be very slowly and gently. If there is still any residue after peeling the sticker off you might use a portion of the sticker that is still sticky to pull te residue off. To do so just press the sticky part on to the residue lightly and pull it up. Don't apply too much pressure in order not to allow the sticker to stick again to the cardboard. Repeat that several times until all residue was lifted off. I suggest to try this on a spare card first in order to "get the feeling". I read it might help to heaten up the sticker before removing with a hairdryer. I haven't tried Goo Gone but I can imagine it being sucked into the cardboard and thus leaving stains or wrinkles if it is a thin fluid. Again, it is best to try it on a spare card first. :)

I was very tempted to get this until I actually saw them in my local Target. I have my originals from childhood so I decided to pass on them. They look nice for what they are.

I have a complete set of the new retro figures. Including the exclusive Tarkin. I think they are great. The details on the sculpts are a tad soft.

To be honest they aren’t bigger than the original. It really looks like the molded original figures which would explain the softer details. Yes a hate the fake aged cards but I still thoroughly enjoy them.

Not sure how I’m going to remove the big red decal. When the dust settles since these are hard to get at the moment I will pick up duplicates that I plan on opening then can see how the decal comes off.

There are quite a few people on JTA who were indeed successful with Goo Gone. However, they say that the stickiness of the sticker varies from figure to figure, so it is still a gamble.

I'm wondering, there are so many people trying to remove the sticker. Just imagine, in ten or so years from now, collectors might pay insane prices for a card with the sticker ON it! :D :)

This reeks of desperation to me. Remaking 'vintage' isn't why they're high valued.... Just wow.

But yay, more pandering. What Star Wars continues to do best.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back