Suggestion Off-Site Private Message Viewer (PMV v1.0) (open source/free)

xl97

Master Member
With the current issues with the forum, specifically the random loss of private messages (PM's)..

And the staff notification/recommendation to back-up these messages periodically, I created an off-site viewer of your private messages files.

Noted here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=273046

The RPF PMV v1.0

PMV = Private Message Viewer

* It only works on .xml exported file formats

* .xml file needs to be in the same directory as the main .html file

* .xml file needs to be RENAMED TO: messages.xml (as that is the file name the main .html file is looking for to load/parse)

* It only works in Firefox (as far as I know, since Chrome and IE do not allow for local file loading/access).. although there are work-arounds for Chrome if you are interested.

* Currently needs an internet connection (since it loads the jQuery library from Googles CDN) <-- * (this can be updated if requested so true off-line viewing is possible)

* II did a nice chunk of BBCode replacement.. but I'm sure I didnt catch everything..(I tried to cover everything I saw in my personal messages.. but I'm sure others have used other BBCode mark-up that I have not seen... add it to a list and I'll make updates)

Its all JS/jQuery.. no web server required,
Open source.. so feel free to use/edit (with credit given of course).....
Anyone else can throw some time at the REGEX find/replacement section to tighten up the BBCode replacement function (if they are interested)

Feedback appreciated.

* A 'dark side' version that matches the RPF forum theme/styles was started as well.. but not completed,

DOWNLOAD:

[removed, can no longer support favoritism/censorship with free work]

Last edited:
Works great. Thanks!

Some suggestions: making it possible to order messages on title (ignoring "RE: ") or sender, would be a nice feature...

Thanks for the feedback!

I still have some more BBCode parsing to add... (I only added in replacement code for the BBCode I saw in my own messages.. I'm sure there are many others to watch for... if you see any post them!) :)

I'll looking into adding a sort feature...

You want by:

title
sender (or to in the sent items panel I assume?)
date?

@TomVDJ

@ TomVDJ

* as requested!

A sortable (by name/date) version!

http://dmstudios.net/misc/RPF_PMV_1.2.zip

This is actually make this release/version 1.2

I had a 1.1 version made.. but it reloaded the page each time you 'sorted'.. hence closing the current panel you were viewing.

The 1.2 version handles it differently, (in real time sorting/displaying)

Two new buttons in upper right corner for you to use now.

let me know it pans out.

Feedback always appreciated.

Maybe I can get a sticky? :)

Last edited:
OH! LOL.....

I thought you already had it! (I made the updates at your request!) :)

Cool! Just let me know!

thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back