One-Eyed Willy skull and eyepatch- Advice needed, see post #5

bk85

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Time for my next replica! Taking lessons that I learned from making my Raider's goat skull, I decided to embark upon making my own One-Eyed Willy skull and accompanying eyepatch from The Goonies. I know that Indy Magnoli sells an awesome version, but I figured I'd take a crack at it myself. Here is what I am going for:

4k-goonies-movie-screencaps.com-15963.jpg

As with my last build, I started with a free model of a 2 part skull that I found online and modified it to look more similar to the version seen on screen. Here are some renderings of how the skull looked both before and after I started adjusting the sculpt. I worked on the tweaks on and off for a few weeks until I was at a place where I was happy with the look.

Original Skull.jpeg
Willy Final.jpeg

The next step was to print it out in a warm white PLA+ on my printer, sand it down, smear on some filler, sand some more and repeat as needed. I got rid of most of the layer lines, but with the paint job I have in mind, I also knew that most of them would be camouflaged. I forgot to take a picture of the fresh print, but here it is after printing and filling (the red stuff), and then one just after spraying some white filler primer. I decided to leave the teeth as unpainted as possible for now so I did mask them off before priming. I wasn't too precious about it though since I know I'll be hitting them with some paint washes later on.

IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1386.JPG

I'm almost finished with painting it, and will post about that next!

Last edited:
I think I'm in a place where I'm happy with the paint job. I tried to balance the general look and feel of the original, while trying to add some more depth to the color variations. I still need to add some matte clear coat and dust with some Fuller's earth. I did make the paint a bit more vibrant than the original because I'm expecting the Fuller's earth to tone down the whole thing, but we'll see!

First I gave it a quick coat of Burnt Sienna for the base and figured I'd build upon that. I used a stippling sponge for most of the paint work, only using a brush when I needed to get into little nooks and crannies. I also tried to avoid the teeth as much as possible until the end.

IMG_1389.JPG

Next came a stippling of white. I went with a transparent mixing white since that's a bit less pigmented a standard white
IMG_1390.JPG

Time to cue the Burnt Umber, which I thinned out with a little water and tried to use judiciously. I also mixed up the Burnt Umber with a touch of black for the cracks and inside of the eye and nose.
IMG_1392.JPG

I honestly don't 100% remember what all I did in this next step, but it was just a bunch of touch-ups using various blends of my same 4 primary paints from above.
IMG_1394.JPG

Next I painted the teeth using the same paints but very watered down. I did try to keep some of the major paint landmarks (mostly on the upper front teeth) true to the original, as shown in my first post.
IMG_1397.JPG

I think when I spray the clear coat, I might try to hit the teeth with a touch of gloss and blend the matte coat into that so that there is a bit of glossy shine on the teeth to replicate the original, but I'm not sure. I was thinking just spray the gloss on the teeth, then lightly covering them with some card or paper that I'd hold 1/4 inch or so in front of it so that there is a subtle graduation of matte to gloss. I've never done that before so it's just theory to me.

I'm happy to take suggestions though! Worst case, I'll just hit it all over with matte and keep things simple :)

Got pulled away from this for a few days but I've now finished clear coating and I topped it off with just a super light dusting of fullers earth to take away the shine from the clear coat. Now I have a question for you all regarding the bandana...

I couldn't find a print that was the exact same as the in the movie, so I figured I'd go in a different direction while keeping the floral theme. I did a little research and found that in the 1600's block printed fabrics from India were extremely popular. I kind of liked the idea of going down that road rather than a modern super clean print. I ordered a few fabrics online of some floral hand blocked prints that I liked. I'm glad that I did though, because what I thought was my favorite ended up being my least favorite once I had it in front of me :lol: .

I wanted to see what you all thought for Willy's bandana. Here are the 6 fabrics. I think I'm leaning towards the top two. I really like the overall look of the top left but the colors of the top right are more in line with the movie. If you had to pick one of these 6, which would you go for? Or should I start over with a new selection?

IMG_1413.JPG

Here's a screen cap from the film:
4k-goonies-movie-screencaps.com-16083.jpg

And a pic of my skull right now, just waiting to be glued together:
IMG_1412.JPG

Got pulled away from this for a few days but I've now finished clear coating and I topped it off with just a super light dusting of fullers earth to take away the shine from the clear coat. Now I have a question for you all regarding the bandana...

I couldn't find a print that was the exact same as the in the movie, so I figured I'd go in a different direction while keeping the floral theme. I did a little research and found that in the 1600's block printed fabrics from India were extremely popular. I kind of liked the idea of going down that road rather than a modern super clean print. I ordered a few fabrics online of some floral hand blocked prints that I liked. I'm glad that I did though, because what I thought was my favorite ended up being my least favorite once I had it in front of me :lol: .

I wanted to see what you all thought for Willy's bandana. Here are the 6 fabrics. I think I'm leaning towards the top two. I really like the overall look of the top left but the colors of the top right are more in line with the movie. If you had to pick one of these 6, which would you go for? Or should I start over with a new selection?

View attachment 1813884
Here's a screen cap from the film:
View attachment 1813887

And a pic of my skull right now, just waiting to be glued together:
View attachment 1813889

The top rights’ colors are the most visually similar when I do a quick glance at the screen capture and back at the fabric. I like the middle left too although it’s a little bright. I wonder what it would look like after aging it a bit. Super cool though! Had to google it but I never knew what block printing was until today… Learned something new!

The top rights’ colors are the most visually similar when I do a quick glance at the screen capture and back at the fabric. I like the middle left too although it’s a little bright. I wonder what it would look like after aging it a bit. Super cool though! Had to google it but I never knew what block printing was until today… Learned something new!
Cool, yeah it's funny... the middle left was actually the one that I loved online, but don't like so much in person. I thought it would be perfect after aging, but I'm just not a fan of the weave of the fabric. It's pretty loose, low thread count, and there's this pinstripe kind of line that's woven in every few rows. I still might see what it looks like after a quick coffee/tea dip though!

Yeah, I had never heard of hand blocked prints either until I did a search of 17th century printed fabrics. I am absolutely no expert in period fabrics but once I started looking at screenshots for the build, the original fabric just seemed really really anachronistic to me. I get more of a 50's-70's vibe from it, rather than something that's a few hundred years old. I think it's the kind of "flower power" shape of the flowers on it. But again...I'm no expert :)

Cool, yeah it's funny... the middle left was actually the one that I loved online, but don't like so much in person. I thought it would be perfect after aging, but I'm just not a fan of the weave of the fabric. It's pretty loose, low thread count, and there's this pinstripe kind of line that's woven in every few rows. I still might see what it looks like after a quick coffee/tea dip though!

Yeah, I had never heard of hand blocked prints either until I did a search of 17th century printed fabrics. I am absolutely no expert in period fabrics but once I started looking at screenshots for the build, the original fabric just seemed really really anachronistic to me. I get more of a 50's-70's vibe from it, rather than something that's a few hundred years old. I think it's the kind of "flower power" shape of the flowers on it. But again...I'm no expert :)
I didn’t notice the pinstripe originally but I could see how that’s distracting. Another great point on the character of the original pattern looking like something more current. I didn’t pick up on that right away but I can see it now. And yeah I only just started dabbling in the maker space within the last year so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back