Portable Automated Somnacin IntraVenous (PASIV) device, "INCEPTION" *spoliers?*

My google-fu is failing me, and I'm having trouble locating the super-thin IV tubing.

I figure if each spool extends something like five feet, and has TWO tubes attaching to each person, with eight spools, I'll need 80 feet of this stuff.

Anyone know a source?

Are you creating all the innards from scratch, or using found items?
I still haven't located the light displays.

I used a combination of found items and items I fabricated myself. For the amber vials on the bottom left, I used pill vials (turned upside down). I made the background from a sheet metal duct I bought at Home Depot. I rolled it out and cut the metal using tin snips. If I were doing it again, I would pay the extra to get flat sheet metal, because I was not able to remove the curve completely.

For the reels, I made them from the sheet metal. I made a template out of thin wood, marked the eight reels, and cut the material with the tin snips. I drilled the holes and then used three bolts in each. For the silver metal reel itself, I used pvc pipe that I painted with aluminum spray paint. In the pictures (in a message later in this thread), one of the reels has no hose, and you can see all this.

For the tubing, it would have been good to use actual IV tubing. However, in the rush to get the device ready for DragonCon (Labor Day weekend), I obtained plastic tubing that was 0.17 inch inside diameter and approximately 0.25 inch outside diameter, which I obtained at Home Depot. That inside diameter is almost exactly 3/16 inches, so I obtained a 3/16 inch wooden dowel and used pieces about 0.5 inches long to splice pieces of the tubing, as necessary.

For what looks like aluminum plates on the top and bottom, I used fiberboard cylindrical boxes that I obtained from craft stores (Michael's and Hobby Lobby). I spray painted them with aluminum paint. The black circular device holding the "pumps" and vials in the bottom part was problematic. When I was scaling things, I calculated that this part should be five inches in diameter. However, I could not find a fiberboard cylinder that small, so I had to go with one over six inches in diameter. However, that meant that it would not fit in the allotted space, because there was not enough room for the two reels and that black part. I thus, compromised a bit by truncating the black component at the back.

The moral of all this is that I was operating on a very tight schedule. If I were doing it over, I would first mock up everything in cardboard and make sure it fits--not only within the flat space allowed for the top and bottom, but also in three dimensions. When I first tried to close the case, I discovered that the collective thickness was too much. Thus, I had to shorten the end pieces of the metal reels. The basic problem was caused by the fact that I made the scale of the reels too large for the size of the case. They need to be no longer than two inches, and I had made mine over 2.5 inches. If I had scaled down the height of the reels proportionately, things would have been easier to arrange.

For the batteries (gray), I used wooden dowels epoxied to a thin piece of wood, covered with gray auto-body primer, which is very thick. For the white device in the lower right corner of the top piece, I simply used two thin pieces of wood, painted.

The vial holder on the left side of the bottom was styrofoam, with the vial spots carved out.

If you are making a PASIV replica and have any questions, feel free to contact me. I kept all sorts of notes on sources, sizes, etc.

Engineer

PS I could not find actual lcd displays in the time I had, so I used a printed lcd font and some paper, on the end of the wooden pieces.

Anyone else have any progress updates on their PASIV devices? I'm considering trying to make one myself and I was also interested to see how everyone else's was coming along.

Anyone else have any progress updates on their PASIV devices? I'm considering trying to make one myself and I was also interested to see how everyone else's was coming along.

I've started working on the spools and lengths of IV wire. (Which I finally received. It's perfect.) Also put together some fake cannula and the white velcro wrist straps. No pics yet.

Cool. I'm trying to work out some sort of rough mock up for the spacing and placement of everything before I go getting a briefcase. The dimensions will be off unless I can find a case that has the same dimensions as the one in the movie though. So I'm trying to think exactly which part of the work area I'm willing to sacrifice to get everything to fit and not be too crammed and still look fairly accurate.

Picked this up:
ZeroHalliburton_medium.jpg

This is the 4" Zero Halliburton case, not the 5", so it might be a bit of a squeeze to fit everything in there.

It's a really nice case - I'm hesitant to make modifications, especially drilling any holes!

This is my dream prop (pun intended?!?). Way to go, its going to be awesome. Just put some morphine in the hose and it will become a fully functional prop. lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back