Previous Free paper-prop threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Free Paper Prop Thread #4 - 2009

Here is my Chateau Picard bottle I made using Cmdr. Kerner's label. Thank you for your work.

Bottles007.jpg

Best,
DBCooper

Well, I used to troll the board before I was able to register. I will admit, I did download some of the stuff from the Free Paper Props, but never sold anything. So, by doing that, you're putting those who can't register, honest prop replica enthusiasts (which would make up for half of the people trolling) out of the ability to get free paper props. Long story short, it's a double-edged sword.

You're saying it's an unimaginable hardship for someone to wait two months? Or do you really mean an Economic hardship? Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying?

anyone have any of the district 9 posters, targets, signs etc? my flash is outdated and cant view the site..

You're saying it's an unimaginable hardship for someone to wait two months? Or do you really mean an Economic hardship? Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying?

All I am saying, as I've said many times before: It's a double edge sword. Period.

anyone have any of the district 9 posters, targets, signs etc? my flash is outdated and cant view the site..

They have one wallpaper on the site that has the shot-up target on it. Do you want me to PM it to you?

All I am saying, as I've said many times before: It's a double edge sword. Period.

How? It seems to only cut one way, by cutting off access of nonmembers to the paper props.

Was the RPF somehow benefiting from all the contributions from people who aren't signing up to be members? I don't see how this "double edge sword" cuts us back.

If anything, we benefit more by having people sign up and become a member. They then have more of a chance of contributing something to our hobby as opposed to just taking.

How? It seems to only cut one way, by cutting off access of nonmembers to the paper props.

Was the RPF somehow benefiting from all the contributions from people who aren't signing up to be members? I don't see how this "double edge sword" cuts us back.

If anything, we benefit more by having people sign up and become a member. They then have more of a chance of contributing something to our hobby as opposed to just taking.

I think it's a matter of supply and demand. If there's a demand for something, and no ready supply, someone will exploit the situation. It's simple human nature. Putting up a wall just creates a barrier between producers and consumers that a third party can exploit for personal profit.

If, on the other hand, there's no barrier between the producer and a consumer there's no motive for exploitation. That's the "it's free and you can make as many copies as you want" digital model. Posting a paper prop in an open venue effectively makes an infinite supply freely available.

From personal experience, one of the reasons I quit making paper props a few years ago was because of the piracy problem. Within a month of me selling a copy of something on Ebay there would be knock-offs for sale. Now that I just give the files away (in as many formats as possible) I haven't had a single knock-off show up on Ebay.

Last edited:

Did anyone ever do the Rasputin mausoleum address scrap from the first Hellboy movie? I've tried searching but no luck.

I've already expressed my opinion on how and will not repeat myself.

Well, if you feel a need to express your opinion on RPF, maybe you should anticipate having it questioned or challenged and not get your teat in such a wringer about it, Mr. Will-not-repeat myself.

Do you understand the macro-economic concept of "free-riders"?

Do you understand how a parasite or parasites can eventually
adversely affect the health of the host organism?

Are you suggesting that by not making artistic creations easily available to non-RPF members who are interested in obtaining them, we will lose a plethora of non-registered, non-contributing non -members?

So? Well, Boo-frigging-hoo! :cry I'll take that risk. Maybe we won't have a bunch of free-loading, immediate gratification junkies swarming us with their "acting stupid and contagious, here we are now, entertain us."* mentalities.

Let's just leave it at "it's a double edged sword" and move on, please.

I think it's a three bladed sword. :cool As long as I'm on the right end of it, it's all good.

*with apologies to Kurt Cobain.

Last edited:

Well, if you feel a need to express your opinion on RPF, maybe you should anticipate having it questioned or challenged and not get your teat in such a wringer about it, Mr. Will-not-repeat myself.

Okay, fine, since everyone wants to keep bringing it up. I did express my opinion and I DID answer the question. So, I don't see any reason to keep repeating myself like a broken record. So, in order to clarify: I feel it's a double edge sword because we are not only punishing trolls who may steal what we made free to print for all of us her, but also punish potential RPFers who may join because they liked what they saw in the paper props post. It's a double edge sword. That's my opinion, and that is my answer.

Do you understand the macro-economic concept of "free-riders"?

Yes.

Do you understand how a parasite or parasites can eventually
adversely affect the health of the host organism?

Yes.

Are you suggesting that by not making artistic creations easily available to non-RPF members who are interested in obtaining them, we will lose a plethora of non-registered, non-contributing non -members?

No. I'm saying that by restricting free to use paper props from people who are interested in it, is like what happened with "New Coke". The Coca Cola Company decided to change the formula for their popular drink, without even asking people about it. And what happened when New Coke was released? A lot of their loyal customers quit drinking Coke all together until the company went back to their old formula. Moral of story: If do change something, you're going to lose people who may want to join. The free paper props was a pretty good incentive for me to join, it hooked me months ago and was able to keep me hanging on and continue to want to join when option to register became available to me. And there may be others like me, who saw those paper props, like what they see and want to join. And by taking away the free paper props, you take away the hook for people, honest people, people who enjoy paper props like you and I, and you end up losing potential new RPFers, as well as any knowledge on prop building that they may have.

So? Well, Boo-frigging-hoo! :cry I'll take that risk. Maybe we won't have a bunch of free-loading, immediate gratification junkies swarming us with their "acting stupid and contagious, here we are now, entertain us."* mentalities.

And you have a right to. Just as much as I have a right to believe what I believe, and to voice my option. And I don't see why voicing my opinion should be scolded for. After all, I thought we were all here to enjoy the same topic of replicas, props and making them.

I think it's a three bladed sword. :cool As long as I'm on the right end of it, it's all good.

*with apologies to Kurt Cobain.

And on that note, to the moderator, I ask that you please lock this thread so that we no longer have this issue ongoing. I've already tried to put this issue to rest calmly and cordally, but since it's continuously being brought up, the only clear way to resolve it is to lock it or at least to get back on topic for what the post is suppose to be about, which is "free paper props" and not the moving of the paper props to it's own individual forum. Of course, it's completely up to you about what to do about this post. I thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Thanks for answering my questions. I may not agree with your answers, but you represented your view point better than most RPFers manage.

J.

Thanks for answering my questions. I may not agree with your answers, but you represented your view point better than most RPFers manage.

J.

You're welcome. And thank you for you kind comment. I apologize if I came off at all rude. I assure you, when I written my reply I had no ill will or anger behind it. And I do admit, my point of view is a bit odd and sometimes I tend to think outside the box... Way too much outside the box, actually. But that's how I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back