Problem with junkyard SOP

Luuke

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So now we have a “buy it now” button in the junkyard. So it’s reasonalbe to assume that if you are the first person to hit that button, the sale goes to that person right? Well what if people are messaging the person before you hit that button? Who does the sale go to? Obviously the seller can choose to sell whoever they want to but then what’s the buy it now button for? Is it fair for the seller to sell to someone else after you’ve purchased it?

I was wondering this same thing.

I recently had an offer for an item that was UNDER the “Buy It Now” price.

What I did while I communicated with that buyer was went into the sale and changed the quantity from one to zero. This changed that Buy It Now optionto say Sold.

Had that deal fallen through, I could have them gone and changed the quantity back to one.

I could definitely see that as causing a bit of confusion, especially since the Buy It Now just sends a payment instantly.

So now we have a “buy it now” button in the junkyard. So it’s reasonalbe to assume that if you are the first person to hit that button, the sale goes to that person right? Well what if people are messaging the person before you hit that button? Who does the sale go to? Obviously the seller can choose to sell whoever they want to but then what’s the buy it now button for? Is it fair for the seller to sell to someone else after you’ve purchased it?

This answer has to be made by the seller. eBay works the same way. You can reach out to a seller privately with questions or an offer, but if someone clicks the BIN while you are talking to the seller, the item goes to them.

I used the "buy it now" option in the junkyard. The seller told me someone was ahead of me asking about shipping, then refunded my payment and sold it to someone else. I didn't think this was fair considering the way it's setup. Perhaps the seller should state how much shipping would be, or an approximate. That way the buyer is informed and the sale of the item goes to whoever taps the "buy it now" option. I know the way things are setup is new but I feel they could be improved to be more fair and hold people accountable.

I used the "buy it now" option in the junkyard. The seller told me someone was ahead of me asking about shipping, then refunded my payment and sold it to someone else. I didn't think this was fair considering the way it's setup. Perhaps the seller should state how much shipping would be, or an approximate. That way the buyer is informed and the sale of the item goes to whoever taps the "buy it now" option. I know the way things are setup is new but I feel they could be improved to be more fair and hold people accountable.

I agree that shipping can be the make/break on a deal especially for overseas or large items. A rough estimate of shipping to the US and Europe would be enough I think to prevent a lot of problems, and also assure that the seller wouldn't suddenly expect an exorbitant fee. I think the first person to click 'buy it now' should have first choice.

Now having said that (and this is completely my two cents).... I has a situation in the old Junkyard that I think was somewhat similar. I had listed an item, and when I had checked the site the next day I'd had several hits. Of those were two immediate messages, perhaps 10 minutes apart; the first said they were interested, but wanted more pictures. The second said ' I'll take it, what's your Paypal'.

I messaged the second guy with my paypal, was paid within the hour, and was done with it. He he said he would buy it, he needed no other info, and it was the logical choice for me. I had priced low, wanted to move the item, and did not want to potentially lose a buyer while going to take more pictures/etc for a 'might buy it' person. Is it the way ideally I'd have liked the sale to go? Of course not. At the same time though, it was my item to sell, and I sold it to the person who was the first to figuratively 'show the cash'.

I'm all for the buy it now, my only concern would be if people abused it (click and then ask a bunch of questions,haggle,etc).

Seller's have the ability to input shipping and even to put in shipping for different locations.

I'm all for the buy it now, my only concern would be if people abused it (click and then ask a bunch of questions,haggle,etc).

A buyer can’t really do that.

When you click Buy It Now it immediately takes you to PayPal to make the actual purchase.

I suppose there could be some issues regarding shipping if it were a separate transaction, but anyone clicking Buy It Now will have to complete the PayPal process, otherwise the Buy It Now remains on the listing.

Just want to add a bit of perspective from the other side. I didn't know that was a clickable button to buy items until recently (probably my bad. I think that is one change with the new site that I didn't catch onto quick). I was still using the old way by sending a message and hoping I'm the first. And in this case I was. I didn't just send a standard "interested" message. It was actually "I'll take it. Let me know what the total is including shipping and what PayPal to send the money to." Would it have been OK for the seller to give me that info only to tell me right after that he can't sell to me because someone clicked a button in the middle of our deal so he has to sell to them now? Not trying to make waves just wanted to show the facts from a different angle.

Moving forward... I think the seller could have been perceived as both right and wrong either way depending on which angle you look at it. I saw no mention of the use of any buy it now button in the classified guidelines. Perhaps it should be amended to make this feature mandatory or at least mention it? This could clear up future issues and provide mods a reference of "first come first served".

I say remove the "Buy it now" option... how is the seller suppose to know where any and all potential buyers are located? This is causing more problems than solving. OR at the very least make it optional.

Can you change the price once set? If nobody bites and you want to drop the price a bit, how does that work? I see no way to edit that once the listing is created.

Can you change the price once set? If nobody bites and you want to drop the price a bit, how does that work? I see no way to edit that once the listing is created.
From inside your thread put your cursor on "Thread Tools" located in the upper right, then select "Manage Sale" from the drop down list.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back