"PROMETHEUS" costume build.. Need some suggestions.

This auction might be of interest to someone here: Two skylight domes
Were I making this suit with the helmet, I'd probably get these and try to make them more oval with heating and shaping, but since I have no plans to do this I figured I would pass it along in case anyone was interested.

Think we're on our own on this one but Soul's breakdown of the dome helps for the collar measurement and that should give you a rough idea of where to start. The backpack has some odd angles though and one of the threads, someone got a backside shot of holloway and you can see it a bit.

*found it- http://www.therpf.com/f47/ridley-scott-prometheus-not-alien-prequel-details-84507/index76.html

Woo, look at all those dang decals! I forgot about the sides! D'oh! :( Anyway, you can see a bit more of the back, elbows, and belt and I think there are 3 or 4 total V rings on the belt. Was going to go with the cobra ones, but I think i'll use a cheaper rip off quick release because other than Noomi's flight suit costume, you never see what system they use on here and it's obvious that they've added a lot of rigging hardware to them. The cobra belts tend to run about $60 so i'll try to save myself from that dreaded parachute buckle (~$30).

Last edited:
@Jathoris - yeah the backpack and collar are gonna be quite hard.. if you do come across a nice cheap version of the cobra belt then link me up haha im gonna look into some acrylic skylit dome manufacturers about making the helmet in 2 pieces, ill pass on any info i get on that. theres a guy on here making a pretty spot on version of the gloves i'll link you to tthat thread. http://www.therpf.com/f24/prometheus-se-suit-build-wip-150789/

i reckon im gonna struggle with the collar and helmet but the chestplate and backpack should be quite fun to make :)

heres some props used in the film...

knife - Gerber Remix Folding Knife 2.9" Combo Blade, Finger Hole - Knifecenter.com

torch - [US$28.98] - UltraFire 18WG-T60 XM-LT6 3-Mode 1200-Lumen White LED Memory Flashlight - Silver (1 x 18650) : ColorApples Cool Gadgets Mall

the torch is spot on apart from the lense sheath as its petalled and not flat :S

hope all this helps

Another fool trying to build this suit.

I found a cheap-ish supply of acrylic globes without necks on amazon. I was thinking it might be possible to heat it and then gently smoosh it a bit to get a more oval/egg-like shape. I've never worked with acrylic before, so I don't know how possible (or how toxic) this would be.

Has anyone figured out a release system for the helmet/collar that could easily be made? It'd be pretty easy to permanently affix the helm to the collar, but I'd like to take it off to eat or what have you. I'm building out of foam.

A simple set and twist would probably work. ( a simple track or groove-similar to something like a pickle jar works) just keep in mind you're going to need to install some fans to cut down on heat and the fogging issues that you will have, and if you are successful in fitting the dome to the collar, just be prepared to sound a little bit like a Verizon Wireless commercial. Could always use what the TK do for a mic so people can understand what you're saying. ;) The domes are truly a nice a touch to the costume though and really are what makes it so special. How thick is the acrylic in the dome that you're looking at?

One thIng I noticed from the film at the IMAX was that the helmets weren't of a very good quality , they werent particularly smooth ( you could almost see 'pour' lines in them) and they obviously had fogging problems with them. I suspect this is why they ditched them so early in the film due to filming problems rather than scripted.

I reckon vacuum forming could be te way forward?

There's an article floating around here where the costume designer talks about the helmets, search around in one of these related threads if it's not this one itself. It's a nice little read. I think they're a type of glass and they're quite expensive actually. There's something like 9 working HUDs inside of them that all work and very few were allowed 'hands on' as someone had to constantly clean for finger prints. The backpacks basically power everything needed to wear the helmets and they had to have multiples ready on stand by when things didn't work... which sounds like a lot of work. Glad they did it though, they're something else :)

A simple set and twist would probably work. ( a simple track or groove-similar to something like a pickle jar works) just keep in mind you're going to need to install some fans to cut down on heat and the fogging issues that you will have, and if you are successful in fitting the dome to the collar, just be prepared to sound a little bit like a Verizon Wireless commercial. Could always use what the TK do for a mic so people can understand what you're saying. ;) The domes are truly a nice a touch to the costume though and really are what makes it so special. How thick is the acrylic in the dome that you're looking at?

I'm not sure. It looks like it wouldn't be more than 1/4" in thickness, but I won't know for sure until I get it.

This is the particular globe I'm looking at

The threading idea is great! I didn't even think of that. It'd be really simple to screw on a metal piece that could thread into a channel in the collar. I was thinking about some way to "snap" it on, but couldn't figure out how that would work.

I have a few friends into computers that are going to hook me up with the lights, the fans, and a camera so I can take pictures from the shoulder. Maybe I can convince one of them to fix up a mic as well.

Cool, I am so interest to make this space costume for myself too, the movie is so great.
Does anyone had create the 3D file yet?
I really dont know how to start....

The globe you are looking at is very nice but it's still the wrong shape for example here's another RPF member using a 14 inch globe.http://www.therpf.com/f24/mid-century-spaceman-costume-planning-stages-90481/index2.html
It will not work as a reproduction of the Prometheus Helmet.:cry

This is why I was looking to heat it up and squish it!

From the reference photos, the helmet seems very oval in the front, but sort of like a fat egg shape on the side. If I'm able to heat the acrylic enough, I could gently push it into that shape and make it less globe-ular.

My problem is figuring out how this can be done. I could heat it up in my oven, but I'm not sure if my oven is hot enough to soften acrylic to the point of being malleable.

Thanks for sharing the link. That suit looks kickass!

I spoke to the guys who made the L 5 film. They had a company that made the clear helmet for them. I seem to remember it was very reasonable. You might want to contact them.
L5

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back