question for urethane rubber vs. silicone vs. latex what would be more durable?

Vegas Vader 2

i am in the market for a bat cowl and i would want the prop to last.. i mostly collect fiberglass and resin pieces and never had any problems with them.

i never had the chance owning a rubber prop piece due to the fear of it rotting or shrinking. i hear urethane rubber is the most durable of all.

i would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Yep latex is the one that will rot , more so when wearing as sweat will affect it , urethane is much better, as is silicone which is much stretchier again than urethane , latex is much cheaper to produce though.

Silicone will by far last the longest. Rare to find in a Bat cowl though.
I don't think latex is far cheaper to produce anymore. The prices have gone up. Latex can be more time consuming as it air dries vs urethane being a chemical reaction.
Other thing to consider is if you'll be wearing it for kids parties or hospital visits. Because of latex allergies.

They all have their pluses and negatives.

i use silicone, the only problem is you have to use a silicone based paint system with it.

Be advised that urethane rubber can break down in storage if not kept in a reasonably temperature controlled environment. I've seen urethane molds either become brittle and crack or turn to liquid goo when kept in high or low temperature storage spaces for long periods of time.

With urethane make sure you are careful with taking it on and off. I have ripped one my self and I have heard of it happening to other people as well. But if you are careful and dont force it you wont have an issue.

Back