Question to the Japanese Star Wars Chronicles book owners

OlivierC

Hi,

I purchased an Xwing V5 kit from Mike Salzo last year, the Red2/Blue1 version, because of its uniqueness.
Since, I have been prepping the parts and collecting stuff needed for this build : wings armature, plastic tubes and tracks for the wings, brass tubes for the guns, set version of the cockpit (blasphemy!) and I even ordered paint from archive-x. This will be my first big build.
The only thing I'm actually struggling to find are good reference photos. I keep finding the same 10 low res, over/under exposed photos. While I can make out most of the paint scheme (i'm going for the red 2 version), what I can't really see are the raised surface details (the little rectangles of plastic card glued here and there). I know there are fewer for this version of the xwing. Salzo's Hero hull and wings come without any raised greeblies, only panel lines. I assume it's because they are different from one version to another, so it makes sense.

I have heard some good things about this book : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/405406437X/
And in the sample pages, you can see the table of content, showing there are 5 pages dedicated to Red 2 and 9 pages to Blue squadron ! (which I assume is Blue 1).
Now, before I shovel close to $300 for this book (if you add shipping and import taxes to canada), I just wanted to ask to those who bought this book if the pictures for red2/blue1 are really worth it and if you can clearly see the hull details from every angle. I'm not begging for scans, I'd be more than happy to buy this book if I know it contains what I need, I just want a confirmation before taking the plunge.

Thank you,

Olivier

Oh wow, thank's a ton! This is super helpful I did not want to directly ask for references directly because I know it's kinda frown upon when you're not a big contributor yourself. People invest a lot of time and effort gathering these I can understand they are not always willing to share them with random joe.
I remember seeing your paper model before, it's beautiful. and it will be nice color reference too.

Still, my question remains, anyone knows if the photos of red2/blue1 in the japanese chronicles book are rare/interesting?

I got it as an import from amazon japan. I don't remember exactly how I did, I think there is a way to buy stuff from the japanese website though amazon.com (I'm in canada and I had to go through the US website, it was not available through amazon.ca )

Unfortunately it does not seem to be available anymore, even on amazon japan :

It may still be available through some other resellers/importers. I checked a few, most are sold out but it seems to be available on CD japan. Never used it, but I heard it's reliable : STAR WARS Chronicles Episode IV, V AND VI/Vehicles Jyunzo Koki, etc. BOOK

it's listed for $153, which I believe is less than I paid for, but then you must add shipping and import taxes based on where you live. Probably your best option

your last option is Ebay, but if you can find one, it will probably be very expensive.

Make sure to include the word "vehicles" in your research, because there are two versions of chronicles, even in japan, and the covers look similar

Oh yeah my bad. Then I guess you can try ebay. I don't see any right now, but it's worth keeping an eye on. If you can get it for $250 or under, you're good.

I do kick myself that I did not buy it while it was still available on ebay. Oh well, let´s see what the aftermarket markup is going to be.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back