Rebel Trooper Helmet

I had to fill the original holes on the pre visor - taped the front and used JB Weld. You could see the holes through the new tinted visor and we can't have that!

IMG_1905_zpsmcsxceko.jpg

IMG_1906_zps9brvilo4.jpg

A little spot putty, primer and paint and they will vanish!

I'm having to do that with my Tambo Imperial version of this helmet. He went with a warts'n'all slap-dash approach replicating the original assembly. Mold damage, not perfectly aligned or spaced holes, roughout texture on the main bucket, prototype earcaps, etc. I've had to back off, fill, and smooth a lot of holes. I also have an original "talker" helmet I put the main portion of the plastic helmet in to push it into the right shape, and epoxied a craft ring into it to hold that shape against the outward pull of the add-on pieces.

I love how there's no such thing for us as an "out of the box" kit. :lol: We always have to improve it.:)

Finally got the paint where I want it. Gloss white is a PITA! I ended up using satin white with clear gloss over the top, much easier job! Messy work bench with my R5-D4! I'm off to get screws for the visors and assemble the pre-visor & face shield. The new rear swoop is in the mail from Texas and I hope to get it tomorrow....

IMG_2407_zpsgstysvpy.jpg

IMG_2406_zps8meis6rm.jpg

My preferred simple gloss finish is RustOleum's Professional Grade black or white. They have ground up ABS dissolved in suspension, so once it cures it's like polished plastic. Here's a Scout helmet I did with it:

SDC12361.JPG

Looking good, though. Can't wait to see things come together. :)

Come on rear swoop! :D

Monday! I’ll add the strap & chin cup, paint the visor screws one light coat w a brush so hopefully it matches the visor a little better. While I wait for the rear swoop I’ll work on making the com-box more screen accurate so I can paint it up with the swoop. I’m happy with how it’s coming out

Love this! Really nice work on an under-attempted helmet. This one always scares the crap out of me when I ponder making it. The lines are all so vague...where the heck do you cut??? Yours looks perfect!

Love this! Really nice work on an under-attempted helmet. This one always scares the crap out of me when I ponder making it. The lines are all so vague...where the heck do you cut??? Yours looks perfect!

I completely agree. & every photo update is better than the last. I can't wait for you to receive the back swoop. When you finish this piece, I know it will be perfection. (y)

Rear swoop came in yesterday. I’ve decided that the tinted visor needs some adjustment - it’s not symmetrical to the pre visor. A little work on the table sander and it’ll be perfect. I’m going to make a template of the rear swoop and make sure it’s also symmetrical in shape, trim it up if needed, and paint it! Then the com box and we’re in business! More to come

Made center masking guides on the visors

IMG_2642_zpsdx3iowyd.jpg

Then the swoop

IMG_2643_zps94zo5r9o.jpg

Drilled holes and mounted the swoop

IMG_2644_zpsh7sv2qnu.jpg

IMG_2645_zpsvrqfxk3b.jpg

IMG_2647_zpstlzcnghd.jpg

Need to paint the swoop and clear it, pop rivet the chin strap onto the helmet liner, and start on the com box....I'm pretty happy with it so far

I finally got a good base coat of satin white on the swoop, I’ll wait a few days and clear it! I’m going to work on the combox this afternoon and try and get it ready for filler.....

Made some good progress on the combox

IMG_2820_zpskmy5pkuo.jpg

IMG_2821_zpswg75mluj.jpg

IMG_2822_zpsh4gnlcrd.jpg

IMG_2824_zpsmfmcfbt0.jpg

The vac formed piece in the kit has the ridges on the right side as raised but the screen and costume book pics show indented lines. I felt the top buttons are too vac formed looking and the dishwasher thermostat didn't have enough detail to be accurate. I'll swing by the shop cut the grooves with a pen router and use the spindle sander to arch the backside to fit the helmet and add the details, then I can putty and prime!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back