Red Jammer Y-WING build by dtssyst

dtssyst

Sr Member
A project that was not to be is now on the bench.

RED JAMMER Y-WING

It was not going to happen due to the overall cost (wife's medical bills are really putting a stop to a lot of our hobbies and interest).

My 3D printer was just sitting. Doing nothing as it was intended to print most if not all of DaveG's Y-Wing files (special shout out: thank you DaveG for all that you have done).

Then we found Studio Kitbash and his offering of Nurnies.
Limited Run - LTD RUN: Studio Scale Y-Wing Nurnies, Limited to 30 Sets
So, as a early Christmas gift to me, we ordered a set of seconds.

This project is now full speed ahead. Our 3d printer is going strong and A LOT of nurnies from Studio Kitbash are sorted and ready to be identified by us.
A very huge THANK YOU to Studio Kitbash for his efforts in making this a reality for us. If it was not for his research, funds spent, and more ... then offering casting of the parts (and some originals), this build would not be on our bench.

Kristine is so awesome. She was of great help in sorting out all the parts into bags. She is also helping with looking at parts maps, finding said part(s) and laying them out on where they go. She loves puzzles.

Parts 'found' and placed where they go (orientation of parts not final):
0118191741_HDR.jpg

Red Jammer Y-Wing Instructions
Gold Leader Y-Wing Instructions

DaveG Files (Resized) are for printing from a third party such as Shapeways.
FDM Files (resized) are for easier and faster printing on a home 3D printer (dependant on your preferred 3D printer settings).

Last edited:
Watching this one with great interest. I've got all the Dave G printed parts plus the superb Studio Kitbash mouldings. I also bought a good chunk of the donor models before the mouldings were released. The Y Wing is a special kind of obsession...

We sorted through a few more parts this evening.
We used one of our own cast parts that were from the 'missing' DeAgostini parts. It is the tiny gun seen below the Kettenkrad track part.
Studio Kitbash did an amazing job with his castings!
Side1.jpg

Last edited:
Progress has been made. May not be perfectly accurate but I am trying to do the best that I can.

I had to add about 5 mm to the leading edge of each Plexiglass wing (received from DaveG). The reason is that the kit parts that go on the wings would not fit. Cut some wood on my Proxxon saw to size and then two part epoxy used to glue them in place. Used clamps to hold in place and to aid in alignment until the glue dried.

Found a piece of wood in my closet of goodies for a make shift base. Also found a dowel rod that is the perfect size.

Wire was run to each engine for lighting and also a wire to the forward fuselage so I can light the cockpit.
A 9v battery will supply power from the rear of the ship. It will be hidden in an accessible compartment.

0130191225_HDR.jpg

1/144 Apollo Saturn V rockets:
I trimmed off the locking ring and left 1 mm. This assist in support to glue the leggs egg in place and more glue surface area.
The rear of the rocket had about 42 mm trimmed off.

Legg's Eggs:
The larger of the two leggs eggs halves were measured and then trimmed from the open end. I took off about 20mm. That does include the little edge that helps connect both egg halves together. Note: that makes the egg approximately 1 5/8” from the tip of the leggs egg to where it glues to the saturn rocket.

The other half of the leggs eggs had the locking edge cut off. I then trimmed off the top so that I had the rear (tail shroud) parts. The final measurement is approx. 22 mm. It is my understanding that I should use two front leggs eggs for this. I may try to get another pair. Otherwise, these will have to do.
0130191226_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Aah, the Old School Way. Now that's the way I like it! Can't wait to see this thing materialize. Looking really good, and tight, and clean, so far.

And "Impressive. Most impressive" work - you achieved that in only TWO eggs! I confess, I had to sacrifice a few dozen eggs from L'eggs Pantyhose containers before I was satisfied with my width, which on my Saturn V stage ones (once placed over nacelle cores) was 69.4mm, which was undercutting the Saturn V upper rim outer-edge diameter by .1 mm, just so the top band of Saturn V ridging could stand slightly "proud" of the nacelle dome atop it.

And then of course, on some of mine I've cheated and used DaveG's molded nacelle domes with plating already molded in, because they look better by far than anything I could produce, but still it's nice to see it done the old, original, hard way.

Back or "bottom" side of the L'eggs Pantyhose containers could be used to make your rear vectrals, but I agree that they don't have the right angle. They might have been used on some of the Death Star surface tiles in large format, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Man, I remember when those LEggs pantyhose containers were plentiful, and you couldn’t give them away!

I just bought a lot of those, I’ll only use a few of them, so if you guys need any, let me know.

I could use two if you have them. I would like to redo the rear vectrals.

Man, I remember when those LEggs pantyhose containers were plentiful, and you couldn’t give them away!

I just bought a lot of those, I’ll only use a few of them, so if you guys need any, let me know.

Engine 'Turkey Feathers" from Saturn rocket parts.
0201190900_HDR.jpg

I have newer tooled Saturn Rocket models. In trying to match the original Red Jammer turkey feather I added lines.
Used an erasure as a guide and a razor saw to cut the lines.
0201190907_HDR.jpg

Cutting off the top (appox 25 mm) keeping the bottom for the build.
Removed the 'guides' on the inside of the turkey feathered parts then glued them to the bottom ring. Taking note to not remove the bottom ring 'guide'.
Not a perfect job but a lot closer to the original.

Update: cut off about 23 mm from the top NOT 25 mm. Making the bottom part that will be used at 22 mm. I can live with being 2 mm off. Others building this replica may want to know this correction.
0201191025_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

I would be interested in 2-4 of them.
If possible!

Small update.
I need to dig through the many parts from Studio Kitbash to find a few more parts. Then the bottom will be finished. Note that only a very few of the parts shown were not supplied by Studio Kitbash. I had to source those kits / parts on my own or scratch build them.

021919.jpg

Builders note: The mounting hole section. The top red line should be about 5 mm higher. The current way it is makes this area to short for all the nurnies to fit correctly or at all. I really should have thought about it when I had to make the wings wider.

Too short.jpg

This is very time consuming project. Yet it has been and still is a lot of fun.

No build thread for this ship. Just wanted to show my progress on it thus far.

I started it a few years ago. I dug it out and figured I would get it finished along with our y wing and x wing. Hoping for all three to be done by this spring / early summer.

I know it's not accurate. I'm not going crazy to make it so either. It will be a nice 1/24 scale representation of this classic Star Wars fighter.

0221191829_HDR.jpg

Wow. This is sweet! Is this a kit or did you scratch build?

No build thread for this ship. Just wanted to show my progress on it thus far.

I started it a few years ago. I dug it out and figured I would get it finished along with our y wing and x wing. Hoping for all three to be done by this spring / early summer.

I know it's not accurate. I'm not going crazy to make it so either. It will be a nice 1/24 scale representation of this classic Star Wars fighter.

View attachment 992236

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back