Limited Run Resin Cast Thermoptic Pistol - Ghost In The Shell - 2nd Run Interest List

This master is 99% there but will still have a tweak or 2 done by hand. We will add the missed detail on the trigger guard (thanks Sean for pointing that out). We are also planning to use real metal Glock slide releases, so will allow for those to be fitted.

brU1xEm.jpg

If anyone who ordered btw is looking for some decent 9mm dummy rounds I use these guys. If the mag interior is correct to a real Glock I would suggest getting 3 sets of the brass case with FMJ which should cost less then $25.

I use their rounds for correct weight and misfire drills usually.

9mm dummy ammunition

On a recent trip back to New Zealand, I made some very interesting industry connections that have allowed us to offer this incredibly accurate Thermoptic Pistol, as used by Major played by Scarlet Johansen in the Weta produced Ghost In The Shell.

View attachment 966998

View attachment 966999

While I can't name names, etc, what I can tell you is that we have had access to some pretty incredible reference material, resulting in what we believe will be the most accurate replica available. Construction will utilise similar techniques used to create the original prop. The master will be 3D printed in New Zealand on a high-resolution SLA resin printer, then prepped for molding. Molding and casting will also be done in New Zealand by a professional prop maker, resulting in a mixture of clear and white resin parts. These castings will then be sent to my workshop in Canada where we will prep, paint and assemble the finished pistols, ready for shipping.

Our design work begun in August this year and here is our final design.

View attachment 969443

View attachment 969444

View attachment 969445

View attachment 969446

There are 3 changes that will be made by hand to the resin master...
- adjust front and rear sights
- create beveled edge on front of rail plate
- create more curve on the front of the grip shell (at the bottom of the grip)

We printed a test-kit from a slightly earlier version of the design on a standard PLA printer to ensure the parts will work for molding. We are very happy with how this test-kit turned out.

View attachment 969483

View attachment 969985

View attachment 969986

View attachment 969987

View attachment 969988

View attachment 969990

The pistols will have a working trigger, with a visible internal spring like the original prop.

View attachment 969995

The replica will have a removable mag, held in place with magnets.

View attachment 969992

The mag will be hollow with a sliding top panel. This is so we can ship the replicas with empty mags so buyers can add their own dummy rounds, eliminating the concerns of sending "ammunition" through customs. The hollow mag fits 9mm rounds which will diagonally stack in the mag, as they would in a real Glock 17. There will be a spring (or similar) in the bottom of the mag to securely hold the bullets in place.

View attachment 969993

When comparing our test-print to a real Glock 17, the dimensions are spot on. Our rear outer shell even fits perfectly over the Glock receiver.

View attachment 967015

View attachment 967017

Time frame:
Dec - final design signed off - Complete
Jan - resin master printed and molds made
Feb - casting
March/April - finishing work
April/May - shipping

As you can appreciate, while we feel confident with this timeline, factors outside of our control may cause us to have to adjust it to suit. We will of course keep everyone posted as things progress. Been around here long enough to understand the value of communication. ;)

Pricing:
Pricing these has been quite the trick due to the numerous factors involved. So much time has already been spent on this prop it's definitely more a labour of love than anything! That said...

$340 plus $25 shipping (worldwide)
$200 deposit up front to secure your place. The remainder to be paid once the replicas are ready to ship
Paypal - tarrymortlock@gmal.com Please include your RPF name and "Thermoptic Pistol Deposit" in the details

Welcome aboard! (y)

Cheers,
T.

The list:
1. Sean - deposit paid
2. RhinoActual - deposit paid
3. el toro - deposit paid
4. Max Jenius - deposit paid
5. Jon (non-RPF) - deposit paid
Looks like the final prop is finished in Canada, so I would like to get in on this run.

This replica will not come with a metal barrel then?

Anyway if I would like to join in on this run the only thing I have to do is pay the deposit?

This replica will not come with a metal barrel then?

Anyway if I would like to join in on this run the only thing I have to do is pay the deposit?
No plans for a metal barrel at this stage, but it's a great idea.

Details in the OP to get in on this run. (y)

Something just occurred to me... Be sure to check your magnets / magazines with dummy rounds if you haven't already... Those dummy rounds will add a significant amount of weight / pull on those magnets !

Something just occurred to me... Be sure to check your magnets / magazines with dummy rounds if you haven't already... Those dummy rounds will add a significant amount of weight / pull on those magnets !
Already on it. I went through this when I made the black version above. I added substantial weight to the mag (using bolts and nuts) to replicate having dummy rounds in there. Ironically the magnets I had on hand were exactly strong enough to keep the mag in place, but with a sharp jerk down they release and the mag slides out. For this run however we will be using powerful earth magnets to ensure they hold well.
Cheers.

Bro. any updates on the clear handle part?

So we've had a slight delay... the guy I'm working with back in NZ has shifted cities (and workshops) and is purchasing a degassing chamber to continue casting. This delay puts us a couple weeks behind.

Wish I could tell you who's workshop he's working in... :eek:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back