Seattle EMP Museum - Infinite Worlds Scifi Exhibit - April 2016 - Props and Costumes

Mordanti

While visiting Seattle this past April for Emerald City Comicon 2016, I took time to visit the EMP Museum near the Space Needle.

InfinitWorlds2016.jpg

They had the Infinite Worlds SciFi exhibit there until this past May 2016, with more than 150 artifacts, props and costumes from film and television. I was particulary interested in the screen-used props and costumes they had there from the Aliens movies, including a set of USCM armour that I tried to emulate via my own cosplay worn to ECC during my visit - see my costume thread here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=232817

USCM-Hicks-Armour-EMP-2016.jpg

I took quite a few photos, and here are over 100 of the best ones. They also include some images from the Fantasy and the Horror exhibits held there at the same time too.

Enjoy - https://www.flickr.com/photos/11012822@N03/albums/72157670442934695

You can find more about the Infinite Worlds exhibit at:

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/emp-museum-creates-infinite-worlds-of-science-fiction/

https://geekdad.com/2015/04/infinite-worlds-emp/

Last edited:
Re: Seattle EMP Museum - Infinite Worlds Scifi Exhibit - April 2016 - Props and Costu

Wow, they have one of the Johnny Mnemonic pistols. And the Gateway Station shuttle!

Re: Seattle EMP Museum - Infinite Worlds Scifi Exhibit - April 2016 - Props and Costu

Yes, they had quite a variety of props and costumes there, from various private collections. It was a shame that the lighting / glass combo made it so difficult to get good pictures; so many of my pictures turned out blurry or too dark to be usable, even with a decent camera and set for the conditions.

Still, I got enough good pictures to make me happy AND I had time to enjoy myself while I visited. :)

... so many of my pictures turned out blurry or too dark to be usable, even with a decent camera and set for the conditions. Still, I got enough good pictures to make me happy AND I had time to enjoy myself while I visited. :)

That sounds like what happens when I go almost anywhere :)

Now, this is Paul Allen's sci-fi museum, right? Or is this just a temporary, side thing? IIRC, he had one of the BR Police Spinners hanging from the ceiling...

-MJ

Yes, the exhibit contained many items from that Paul Allen's private Microsoft-funded collections. He did build the EMP Museum, after all, so it's easy for them to display his items...

I just wish I'd had more time to experience some of the multimedia aspects of the display, like hearing audio descriptors of the various weapons and their firing sounds.

Those photos of the Fifth Element stuff were great! Thanks for taking them, I've never been able to find good reference for his jacket and pants. Did you happen to get any from the back, or was that even possible?

Risu, sorry - all I could get was from the front on that particular display. Some cabinets were backed up against others, so I'd have been shooting through multiple layers of glass in dim lighting. Made things really tricky to get ANY of the photos to turn out - for every 1 you see in my Flickr post, there's 5 that didn't turn out. I spent 80% of my time taking pictures and about 20% remembering to actually LOOK at the displays... :)

Well thank you very much for the pictures.

Great gallery, thanks for sharing! Would love to know more about that Jawa if anyone knows?

best, Tom

There's a travelling Trek exhibit there right now, need to get up there to check it out. I was a member when the BSG exhibit was there, but parking is a nightmare anywhere around there and costs a fortune, so I let it lapse as I wasn't going up there except for special events...

I have been a member of EMP and SFM from before they built the building... SFM being a new addition to the EMP several years after it was built. The BR Spinner is a great exhibit, they actually have interior cameras you can control from the balcony over looking it so you can get a look inside and through the windscreen. I am always impressed at the quality and diversity of their exhibits. Still, it is always difficult as you point out to get any really good photos. Possibly somewhat intentional.

Last edited:

That place is like a living, breathing Profiles In History catalog......

Gene

It sure is. Their Music exhibits are always great. They have had some ongoing Horror, and Fantasy areas that are amazing. The recent touring Star Trek and more recent Marvel exhibits are so COOL!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back