Smaug, for Childrens Theatre Play

Obi Sean Kenobi

Hi all,

I am going to direct (despite swearing never to do it again), a play for our local Childrens Theatre Group.

I am seriously thinking about doing "The Hobbit".

One of the major obstacles, of course, is the construction of Smaug the dragon.

I found this webpage (http://smaug.baccusdesigns.com/) which documents the construction of one AWESOME puppet!

My main concern is just HOW HARD this is going to be. Thoughts? Is this do-able?

Sean

I am pretty sure that it is doable, but then again I´d certainly check if it is really worth the effort. Or is there any other (cheaper and easier ?) way of doing this, like doing projections or shadow puppets.

The main thing that would stand in its way over here in Germany is the issue of fireproofing everything, and I am not speaking of the sfx but just the general use of props in a play.

EDIT : I went back to the page and had another look at the description. The insulation foam they used sure is fireproof, so that shouldn´t be an issue. But the sheer weight of the construction, terrifying.

And what really disappointed me was the small treasure that he guarded. I mean, c´mon, such a big dragon won´t guard that small amount of chump change, will he ?

I am seeing a huge pile of gold and diamonds and jewelry, blinking and shining and really colourful, and on top of that the dragon (rear projection or front projection from above), or even only a part of the head on top of the pile and a gigantic tail around the foot of the pile. You don´t have to show everything, IMO. Or a gigantic claw that is hung from above and could be moved.

Michael

P.S.: You know there is that old tradition of not whistling in a theatre from the times when there was only gas lighting ? ;)

Last edited:
I'd really consider the feasability of building something so complex for a children's theater group.

It might be easier to do a 2D puppet with some moving joints. Use 1/8" plywood or particle board, cut to shape and painted. Use bolts to create pivot points and add levers that can be operated off stage or behind the scenes to make things, like the mouth, move. It'll be a lot easier, both physically and financially.

-Fred

Why not something similar to the Chinese Dragons that are used for New years celebrations. The type with the big head, and the tail made like a long cape. You could get 2 people to wear it like a horse costume.

I'll check from work - I remember a link where the person made a giant dragon head (over a fence) out of styrofoam sheets.

David

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back