Solo Refined Coaxium Case - potential found item lead?

jedi5150

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I searched before starting a new thread, and only found a 4-year-old thread, so I'm starting a new one.

I've wanted to replicate the large case that they carried the cylinders of refined coaxium in, in "Solo: A Star Wars Story". I know the making-of books say it was a case to carry industrial drill bits in, and Phil Szostak also said this in a Twitter post.

phil's post.JPG

But in my searches for industrial drill cases, I haven't found anything close. Then a fellow local 501st member found these at our local Army Surplus (we each bought one). It's some sort of ammo/artillery case. It isn't exactly the same, but the closest thing I've found. Is it possible that the "industrial drill bit case" was a recycled military item?

found coaxium case.jpg

Blaster included for scale:
PXL_20240427_153700772.jpg

These have come up before. That's definitely what they used. I think there's a handle version.
I have the info saved somewhere. IIRC someone even did a blaster display with the lid.

I guess handles were added.
It's a Bofors ammo box.

Movie version looks shorter. Maybe they cut some down or rebuilt from scratch.

1714285997406.png
1714286042362.png

1714286650526.png

Awesome. I apologize that they've been brought up before and I started a new thread, but a search didn't turn anything up. Thanks for the info on the exact can!

Looks like what I found is a different version (probably for different artillery ammo). But for $20.00, I'm pretty happy!

I did some work on it yesterday. Paint job isn't exact (I used some red to cover the military stencils) and I still need to weather that red and the decals I made. I like that it's "Pre-weathered", giving it that well-used look, So my goal is to match that with the additional paint and decals.

PXL_20240427_230003614.jpg

Awesome. I apologize that they've been brought up before and I started a new thread, but a search didn't turn anything up. Thanks for the info on the exact can!

Looks like what I found is a different version (probably for different artillery ammo). But for $20.00, I'm pretty happy!

I did some work on it yesterday. Paint job isn't exact (I used some red to cover the military stencils) and I still need to weather that red and the decals I made. I like that it's "Pre-weathered", giving it that well-used look, So my goal is to match that with the additional paint and decals.

Looks great!
Even knowing what the thing is I couldn't find the old discussion. It might have been somewhere else.
No harm in more coverage of a cool prop.

Looks great!
Even knowing what the thing is I couldn't find the old discussion. It might have been somewhere else.
No harm in more coverage of a cool prop.
Thanks! I'm excited to use it as part of our 501st "environment" set dressing this weekend at a small local con. I'll try to remember to grab some pics.

If anyone would like the decal files I created I'm happy to share.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back