Spacesuit Costume

mwhelan182

Hey all!

I am aiming to put together my first real costume in quite a few years, and have always been fascinated by semi-accurate spacesuits.

I was able to get my hands on an oversized beekeeping suit, as it seemed to be a logical starting point (Here is a link to the one i grabbed).

This is where i am a bit unsure... I have almost a creative blindness, and am unsure of what to do to make it authentic, or even where to start to be honest.
I have a 3d printer (so ports, plugs, bits and pieces are able to be made at home), but i am trying to figure where to start/how to give it a somewhat 'accurate' shape to begin with?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
:)

Hey all!

I am aiming to put together my first real costume in quite a few years, and have always been fascinated by semi-accurate spacesuits.

I was able to get my hands on an oversized beekeeping suit, as it seemed to be a logical starting point (Here is a link to the one i grabbed).

This is where i am a bit unsure... I have almost a creative blindness, and am unsure of what to do to make it authentic, or even where to start to be honest.
I have a 3d printer (so ports, plugs, bits and pieces are able to be made at home), but i am trying to figure where to start/how to give it a somewhat 'accurate' shape to begin with?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
:)
It all depends of the final look you want to achieve. Did you draw some kind of final silhouette? Details of things you'd like to see on that suit? How about breathing apparatus? Hoses, helmet, lights, gloves, etc...To make it fit closer to your body, you'll have to go to a seamstress(if you don't know how to sew). Maybe you can make it closer to your body (arms/legs/trunk) by using lacing (Alien).

I agree with joberg that you need to select an end goal to know where to start or for others to give any meanful advice. There are as many examples of spacesuits as there are sci-fi fans. Most modern versions such as SpaceX are rather "clean" and "streamlined: very much like your beekeeper suit. The early NASA suits had lots of belts and buckles and nozzles and couplings. The early sci-fi suits were all over the place. There is even a recent spacesuit thread you can find here on therpf to see many examples. With your base suit I would probably go with something like the SpaceX or the latest NASA designs.

It all depends of the final look you want to achieve. Did you draw some kind of final silhouette? Details of things you'd like to see on that suit? How about breathing apparatus? Hoses, helmet, lights, gloves, etc...To make it fit closer to your body, you'll have to go to a seamstress(if you don't know how to sew). Maybe you can make it closer to your body (arms/legs/trunk) by using lacing (Alien).
I appreciate the help man! I haven't drawn anything to be honest, my artistic skill is in the negative - I would like it to resemble an Apollo 11 spacesuit to a degree - I am currently printing the neck and wrist rings that will hioopefully help frame it better. I am thinking to not have it be so 'frumpy' and lacking in the shoulders, i will likely have to have some form of chest/ shoulder framing/structure under the suit to fill it out a bit.

I agree with joberg that you need to select an end goal to know where to start or for others to give any meanful advice. There are as many examples of spacesuits as there are sci-fi fans. Most modern versions such as SpaceX are rather "clean" and "streamlined: very much like your beekeeper suit. The early NASA suits had lots of belts and buckles and nozzles and couplings. The early sci-fi suits were all over the place. There is even a recent spacesuit thread you can find here on therpf to see many examples. With your base suit I would probably go with something like the SpaceX or the latest NASA designs.
I did get 2 sizes bigger, and am fond of it kind of wearing me? like a big, proper looking suit, as opposed a sexy, svelt modern suit you know?

Back