Spider-Man mask

Frogfreak

Sr Member
All right! so I have been putting some work in a new project! As the title says I am working on a spidey mask and what's nice is its a sam raimi Spider-Man mask! So here is my progress so far, I actually only have the faceshell basically done. And I have the mask itself nearly fully sewn, and I'll tell you it was a little bit difficult cause the threads ripped so many times cause it was sewn incorrectly and the stitch lines were too far apart! But now I have the stitches a whole lot smaller and closer together! Now I will tell you that this is being done in a very very small budget. So I am making the faceshell out of strong stacked cardboard and the design of the faceshell was a heavily modified Dali lomo mcu faceshell but it's a bit rigid so I need help finding out how to smooth it out well. I bought very fine metal mesh for the lenses and will probably make the lens frames out of cardboard covered in paper mache or maybe there is some pepakura design for the raimi lenses or maybe someone can make them for me. The raised webs will be made of rubber bands superglued in a pattern but I still need to find a perfect silver permanent market for them, perhaps I could get help from all of you! I also made a cardboard head for displaying the mask! Anyway that's what my new project is so please help me out on this and keep watching this project!

Last edited:
Sorry I couldn't post pics before for some reason. here are the pics of the faceshell as it is right nownow, sorry they stink I have bad camera quality and the lighting is terrible

Attachments

• IMG_20190413_220726.jpg
    IMG_20190413_220726.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_20190413_220726.jpg
    IMG_20190413_220726.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20190413_220710.jpg
    IMG_20190413_220710.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 366
Anybody got any ideas on how to smoothen the faceshell out! It's made of cardboard so i'm not sure what would work.
Only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be fiberglass resin. Mix and pour it over and it’ll set in minutes. Fully cure a little longer, but it will give you a solid surface to sand and smooth.

Just my 2 cents.

Not sure if you wanna try, but before I worked with foam, I used to coat the cardboard faceshell I made with putty sealer(the one used to cover cracks in walls, comes in a small tub). Works great and easy to sand smooth. Downside is that your faceshell would probably en up slightly heavy, but acceptable. Best to mix with just a tiny bit of water before you slather it on for a smoother application.

Quite a bit of effort, but you can't go wrong for $3 a tub.

All right! I have tried smoothing out the shell with duct tape its not the best method but I think it will do. here are the pics
IMG_20190415_135117.jpg
IMG_20190415_135023.jpg
IMG_20190415_134948.jpg

(It looks a lot better in person;))

How do you suggest I hold the bands together while they are drying? And I am going to try to find the perfect silver permanent marker, you know what I should get?

Super Glue (or Crazy Glue) bonds almost immediately do the dry time is seconds. Fully cured after a minute or two.

Sharpie makes a good silver, just don’t know how well it takes to rubber bands. It can be picked up at most stores like Walmart or Office Depot. Pretty much anywhere you can get Office or school supplies.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back