Star Trek Prop Analysis, Is this prop I bought real?

STApologist

So I bought this prop and I am wondering if it is real. I made a video detailing it. This prop will be my guide to reproducing more props. I would like to buy more but my channel would have to be really successful. I will be using the data from this to make prop reproductions.

Normally my first step in verifying any vehicle or prop is a through study of Provenance. I have noted that professional sellers of these items normally document provenance fairly thoroughly. As I will not count myself as a Star Trek expert in any way, I can't base much on the certainly quite through information you provided in the video. My next step personally in this case would be to look at its construction compared to how the known examples are made. Find people who have similar, verified pieces, or companies who sell and authenticate these and have experience with similar items. Also the people involved with making the originals. If I were making these in the same quantity that Trek production crew need to, I would be digitally printing them in a one step premade back-lit and 2nd surface mounting it to the plex, not layering in the way this one was done. Lots less labor once you set everything up. Still that just me and in no way is an educated look at what was actually done. Best of luck.

I have what I believe to be a Paramount-built TNG LCARS panel. The materials and construction appear to be in line with what you have there.

The construction looks consistent with what would have been used for the show during that time period.

The smoked acrylic panel has a transparency behind it to create the button light pattern. Separate colored gels provide the prop-folks the ability to change the look of the buttons for whatever was needed for the episode. They could could change a button to a red warning light if needed, or change a generic panel to play on the "device of the week" for an episode. The "paper" you referred to is used for diffusion of the light source behind the panel - to make it more even; and in some cases, to knock down the brightness.

If it's not real, then it's a good fake. Like Mad Max Cars said, researching the provenance would be a big help.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back