Limited Run Star Trek TNG "Cobra" Phaser Electronics

No, it will be about the same price. But there will now be 1.25mm JST connectors between the LED display board and the main logic board. Then you will be able to align and install the boards separately. Makes the process a little easier.

I will probably start a new thread when the boards are available.

Will it fit the Playmates type 2? I know that I will have to cut out the little cheap painted plastic yellow&red grill bars (I have a small dremmel I plan to use to cut them out).

Window area on the playmate TNG 5161 is about 10/32" tall and 26/3" wide. I can always make it just a bit wider if I need to. What's the approx size the lights need?

By the way, where did you get the idea that the display had 20 lights? As far back as I can remember, the TNG type 1 had a max of 8 settings, and the type 2 went up to 16. Did they increase the number of power levels at some point?

Before I make my final decision on 3 colors or all-green... You wouldn't happen to have an image or video of the two versions installed showing them next to each other, would ya? I'll look around on your-tub and see which feels more my style.

And I've checked, I have enough to pay the $145 or $165 Canadian. Do you send me a bill or something through PayPal, or should I get an email with instructions, or what? I don't mind paying some or all now if it helps.

Quick research:

MAX 16 levels on most type 2's.
Type II Phaser - Star Trek : Freedom's Wiki and

Memory Alpha actually has a series of images showing the type 2 and it's 16 settings. I think the images were left-right reversed, as they who show level 1 as the bottom-right light. Lights stay green until level 8. At level 9 a red light turns on and the green one beneath it turns yellow. At level 16 the entire upper row is red and the lower row is all yellow (no green lights. Maybe they used 3-color leds in the bottom row, and reds in the upper row? Unless they CGI'ed in the power window in some seasons.

Notable exception -- the "dustbuster" type in one image shows a single row of 10 lights. (Caption says its circa 2364, and from the paleness of the hand, I think it was Data holding it.)

I mean I can understand changes from one Trek to the next, or even one season to the next, but you'd think they would have some consistency.

Will it fit the Playmates type 2? I know that I will have to cut out the little cheap painted plastic yellow&red grill bars (I have a small dremmel I plan to use to cut them out).

Window area on the playmate TNG 5161 is about 10/32" tall and 26/3" wide. I can always make it just a bit wider if I need to. What's the approx size the lights need?

By the way, where did you get the idea that the display had 20 lights? As far back as I can remember, the TNG type 1 had a max of 8 settings, and the type 2 went up to 16. Did they increase the number of power levels at some point?

Before I make my final decision on 3 colors or all-green... You wouldn't happen to have an image or video of the two versions installed showing them next to each other, would ya? I'll look around on your-tub and see which feels more my style.

And I've checked, I have enough to pay the $145 or $165 Canadian. Do you send me a bill or something through PayPal, or should I get an email with instructions, or what? I don't mind paying some or all now if it helps.
The Cobra Type 2 has 20 lights. I have held the production screen used version. The version you are referring to is the Boomerang Type 2. The electronics you would need are for the Boomerang. They have 16 LEDs in the display. The picture you are referring to in the Memory Alpha archive is a reverse Boomerang from the DS9 episode called "Hard Times". There is actually a YouTube video showing Chief O'Brien taking the phaser from the weapons locker and pressing the buttons. They run from right to left. It was the only Trek episode that used this version. The regular Boomerangs such as those used in the TNG movie First Contact had the display running from left to right, starting with the top left LED. Most of the screen used versions used all green LEDs for the display, but some tech manuals show green, yellow, and red LEDs. Each colour represented a different mode.

PM me when you decide which version to use.

Phaser_settings.jpg

Quick research:

MAX 16 levels on most type 2's.
Type II Phaser - Star Trek : Freedom's Wiki and

Memory Alpha actually has a series of images showing the type 2 and it's 16 settings. I think the images were left-right reversed, as they who show level 1 as the bottom-right light. Lights stay green until level 8. At level 9 a red light turns on and the green one beneath it turns yellow. At level 16 the entire upper row is red and the lower row is all yellow (no green lights. Maybe they used 3-color leds in the bottom row, and reds in the upper row? Unless they CGI'ed in the power window in some seasons.

Notable exception -- the "dustbuster" type in one image shows a single row of 10 lights. (Caption says its circa 2364, and from the paleness of the hand, I think it was Data holding it.)

I mean I can understand changes from one Trek to the next, or even one season to the next, but you'd think they would have some consistency.
Yes, the Boomerang uses 16 LEDs, the Cobra uses 20. I used to supply the Roddenberry online store with all of the electronics for their store.

The colour change is an illusion caused by the lower set lighting. The colours of the LEDs bleed into each other and the set lighting blend causes the illusion of the green turning yellow. But it is just an illusion.

Not really a lot of consistency in LED colours used in props. The prop department used what they had on hand.

Oh. Well I was always more into TNG than DS9. I prefer bottom row going left to right in green (settings 1 to 8), and top row left to right in red (settings 9 to 16). So 16 lights total, I guess, depending on how much room your lights occupy.

The hole the lights will show thru is about 10/32" tall and 26/3" wide (roughly 8 to 8.5 mm tall, 20mm wide, if you prefer metric). 2 rows of 8 lights should fit, right?

Oh. Well I was always more into TNG than DS9. I prefer bottom row going left to right in green (settings 1 to 8), and top row left to right in red (settings 9 to 16). So 16 lights total, I guess, depending on how much room your lights occupy.

The hole the lights will show thru is about 10/32" tall and 26/3" wide (roughly 8 to 8.5 mm tall, 20mm wide, if you prefer metric). 2 rows of 8 lights should fit, right?
Yes. It will fit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back