Limited Run Star Wars - Jedi training remote SFX aluminium box base - interest for a second run?

I’ll be using his kit with my eethan box setup.
Is the rod going to be steel? If so, I just realized, since the balls used with my kit are magnetic you could just "stick" it onto the rod and it'll hold. Then if you wanted to levitate it, just move it to the floating base.

Is the rod going to be steel? If so, I just realized, since the balls used with my kit are magnetic you could just "stick" it onto the rod and it'll hold. Then if you wanted to levitate it, just move it to the floating base.
Hey Trent, the rod is actually aluminium. But we have discussed that same idea with Halliwax, and I have already threaded the top of the rod to attach anything to it, and can provide whatever people want for the top as there will be different system and/or diameters requiered depending on the remotes :)

it's a good time now to each PM me with the system/diameter you need guys, by default, the rod is 7mm diameter for now :)
Scruffylooking moffeaton cdyoung LewisD qcfoundry Tsophika MandoJedi Halliwax Khufu01 MojaveTrooper

alright, nice update today as well :)
I have finished machining the front of the boxes, i'm sorry as they are a bit cleaner than the original I'm afraid, didn't really manage to get the same machining marks and spaces between the plates that the original has. I hope you guys will like them though :)
IMG_20240922_174008.jpg

IMG_20240922_174027.jpg

IMG_20240922_174101.jpg

and second cool step, I have attached the bottom mechanisms, starting to look cool I think :)
IMG_20240922_185557.jpg

IMG_20240922_185609.jpg

cheers all :)

I’ll be kitbashing my remote using original parts as well, so I’ll be curious to see what’s recommended/best for securely attaching the remote to the rod while maintaining the same vertical distance from the box as the original.

I’ll be kitbashing my remote using original parts as well, so I’ll be curious to see what’s recommended/best for securely attaching the remote to the rod while maintaining the same vertical distance from the box as the original.

well, this is the only "good" ref I have from the bottom of the remote, basically, there seems to be a thin tube slightly larger than the 7mm rod and the rod just goes inside that tube.
Now, I only planned for around 2cm of extra length I think on my rods thinking stuff could be added on top of this depending on the systems people needed, a screw, magnet, steel part or a larger diameter rod for instance.

[017771].jpg

7mm is fine - as long as possible - keep the ends unfinished, as I'll die the threads once I figure out the mounting inside the remote. Appreciate you asking

well, this is the only "good" ref I have from the bottom of the remote, basically, there seems to be a thin tube slightly larger than the 7mm rod and the rod just goes inside that tube.
Now, I only planned for around 2cm of extra length I think on my rods thinking stuff could be added on top of this depending on the systems people needed, a screw, magnet, steel part or a larger diameter rod for instance.

View attachment 1863150
We all wish we had that… well at least me

Hey there :)
one box is finished :) the rest is close :)
I'm sorry because my photos tonight are basically on Star Wars reference quality level... will do better photos in the end!
and by the way, the end is in the next couple days or so ;-) please be ready :)
IMG_20240925_184539.jpg

IMG_20240925_184548.jpg

IMG_20240925_184625.jpg

IMG_20240925_184644.jpg

IMG_20240925_184835.jpg

Hi everyone,

I have mostly finished the remote boxes today :)
just a few details to finish tomorrow as well as taking studio photos and putting them on the website. Then i'll send the invoices to everyone tomorrow as well normally.

IMG_20240927_174747.jpg

IMG_20240927_174756.jpg

IMG_20240927_174819.jpg

I am very happy with the result, I think this is a very close rendition to the original prop and will be a pretty cool piece to display.

Now, I have a couple bad news I'm afraid.
This was an interest thread for a quick project without a prototype, having no idea how many people would be interested by such an obscure prop. I did my best estimating the cost at the time, and although I was pretty spot on with all the lathed parts, the box itself was way more difficult and time consuming than I planned and in total, I ended doubling my time and spending a total of 4 extra hours per box! ouch!
I announced 275-300€ when opening the interest thread, I since added a laser cut gear at the bottom, painted and weathered Dikem and obviously spent way more time than I estimated. The reality is that after counting my time, the prop should cost 350€ while still being a tight cost. What I want to do now, and I hope this will be ok for everyone is ask for 305€ for the finished prop. That is the max I announced in my early price bracket with an extra 5€ for the extra part. So I really hope this is ok for everyone. Again, this wasn't prototyped, and this should normally cost at least 350€.
Final cost: 305€ + shipping

now, the second bad new, and there is nothing i could have done about this, the finished prop is over 1kg. So it will cost 36€ to ship to the US I'm afraid. I really wish it wasn't that expensive but there is nothing I can do. Remember I have two shipping options, this one is the cheaper option for small items and I'm taking a gamble again hoping the boxes will go through the system fine even though they are a bit big. 36€ is still pretty affordable for a 2kg package, international shipping is very expensive, and the other more high end option for this would be 59€!

I hope this will be all good for everyone and you guys are still on board for this. I worked really hard putting those together as nicelly as possible and making them super accurate, so I really hope you guys will love them :)

I'll post the photos tomorrow and be in touch with each regarding payment. Since this is such a limited project and that there might be more people interested now, to make sure you guys on the list get what you signed up for, I can't post those publicaly on the website, so i'll be doing the same as I did for the Barbican run and send a "pre-filled cart" by email with a link that will take you directly to the website for payment.

thank you all

We need a prop rank system. My man Eethan would be a Four Star General. You could be a Five Star, but that is only in the event of war and we don't want war in the prop world.

Out of curiosity what Training Remote are you lucky buggers who are getting this gonna use?

"Out of curiosity what Training Remote are you lucky buggers who are getting this gonna use?"

I was going to go with the Trooper_trent conversion kit and sores a 6" plastic plastic ball.

We need a prop rank system. My man Eethan would be a Four Star General. You could be a Five Star, but that is only in the event of war and we don't want war in the prop world.

Out of curiosity what Training Remote are you lucky buggers who are getting this gonna use?
I’ll be proudly displaying it with a complete vintage parts remote.

I’ll be using trooper Trent’s newest BYOB kit

Hi everyone,

I have mostly finished the remote boxes today :)
just a few details to finish tomorrow as well as taking studio photos and putting them on the website. Then i'll send the invoices to everyone tomorrow as well normally.

View attachment 1864116
View attachment 1864117
View attachment 1864118

I am very happy with the result, I think this is a very close rendition to the original prop and will be a pretty cool piece to display.

Now, I have a couple bad news I'm afraid.
This was an interest thread for a quick project without a prototype, having no idea how many people would be interested by such an obscure prop. I did my best estimating the cost at the time, and although I was pretty spot on with all the lathed parts, the box itself was way more difficult and time consuming than I planned and in total, I ended doubling my time and spending a total of 4 extra hours per box! ouch!
I announced 275-300€ when opening the interest thread, I since added a laser cut gear at the bottom, painted and weathered Dikem and obviously spent way more time than I estimated. The reality is that after counting my time, the prop should cost 350€ while still being a tight cost. What I want to do now, and I hope this will be ok for everyone is ask for 305€ for the finished prop. That is the max I announced in my early price bracket with an extra 5€ for the extra part. So I really hope this is ok for everyone. Again, this wasn't prototyped, and this should normally cost at least 350€.
Final cost: 305€ + shipping

now, the second bad new, and there is nothing i could have done about this, the finished prop is over 1kg. So it will cost 36€ to ship to the US I'm afraid. I really wish it wasn't that expensive but there is nothing I can do. Remember I have two shipping options, this one is the cheaper option for small items and I'm taking a gamble again hoping the boxes will go through the system fine even though they are a bit big. 36€ is still pretty affordable for a 2kg package, international shipping is very expensive, and the other more high end option for this would be 59€!

I hope this will be all good for everyone and you guys are still on board for this. I worked really hard putting those together as nicelly as possible and making them super accurate, so I really hope you guys will love them :)

I'll post the photos tomorrow and be in touch with each regarding payment. Since this is such a limited project and that there might be more people interested now, to make sure you guys on the list get what you signed up for, I can't post those publicaly on the website, so i'll be doing the same as I did for the Barbican run and send a "pre-filled cart" by email with a link that will take you directly to the website for payment.

thank you all

I’m on board with whatever price you deem appropriate for your effort and expense. What is your suggestion for mounting the remote to the rod?

I’m on board with whatever price you deem appropriate for your effort and expense. What is your suggestion for mounting the remote to the rod?
thank you all guys,
I have snapped the final photos this morning and will be posting them soon.

for the remote, everyone is free to do as they want or ask me for something specific.
However, for the guys that will do a real parts remote from scratch like you, i recommand you use some kind of tube that goes around the supplied 7mm rod in my box, so you get the same look as the original.
cheers
1727528840130.png

Super pleased with what I'm seeing and have no objections. FULLY aware that estimates are only estimates and real life usually has a couple extra surprises. Wallet is ready talk to you when you say, Mattheiu!

Hey again,
here are the final photos for this project! I hope you'll like the result :)
TR_base_01.jpg

TR_base_02.jpg

TR_base_03.jpg

TR_base_04.jpg

TR_base_05.jpg

TR_base_07.jpg

TR_base_08.jpg

TR_base_09.jpg

here are a few fun facts for this project as I like to do this :)
I spent 84h of machining on those, twice as much as initially planned.
Broke two end mills, damnit! (didn't break a tap though, this is pretty rare)
Bled myself twice... (second time, as my wife was helping me as I was putting blood everywhere, I was like, "quick, because I forgot to turn off the timer" and she was like, "come on, I think you can count this as work time..." I guess she had a point.
There is 550€ of materials for the boxes!
There are 20 screws per box and 7 different types of screws! I really don't know what they where thinking when they bult this!

I'll be preparing invoices through the website and sending a message to everyone to explain a bit as well.
thank you for your support all along this project and a special thank you to the always faithful returning customers, very much appreciated!
cheers

Back